Turn on thread page Beta

*Challenge!* You have 3 days to convice me out of buying a Macbook pro! GO! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTechN1304)
    that's not justification for wanting to spend £320 more on the exact same product, especially considering you are covered by Amazon's A-Z Guarantee if it doesn't all go to plan...
    Probably not, But considering I haven't managed to get a piece of electrical equipment I haven't had to return yet I think it's justified not to use them specifically.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Ryan-Slade)
    The Hardware yes, but as I have previously stated, I would rather (lets have something mythical this time to piss off that other guy ) have Dragons turn my man nuggets to dry-roasted peanuts than have to use windows. If I buy Windows Laptop, It'd have OS X on it before I'd even got it home, And to get similar battery life, design quality, I'd be looking at 4 figures anyway, May aswell make the leap and just go for the macbook
    As I have previously stated OS X is crap, I agree Windows isn't great - that's why I use Linux. But software-wise Windows is (however scary the prospect) the best equipped for the uses you stated. You don't need to spend four figures on a laptop, unless you are:
    A) Gaming
    B) Sound/video editing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    As I have previously stated OS X is crap, I agree Windows isn't great - that's why I use Linux. But software-wise Windows is (however scary the prospect) the best equipped for the uses you stated. You don't need to spend four figures on a laptop, unless you are:
    A) Gaming
    B) Sound/video editing
    PERSONAL OPINION! Windows is crap. It may be the best equipped, They could make it free and offer a free laptop with Windows 9, i still wouldn't go near it. Ergh, The usual bul**** opinion then, Just because it's more exspensive than it should be, Doesn't mean it isn't worth it!

ReputationRep:
    You just sound like your up Apples ass, no all windows machines are heap of **** bits of plastic, some do come with metal bodies, 9+ hour batteries, bigger HDDs and bigger screens, and for less than you will pay for an Apple.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    A) Gaming
    B) Sound/video editing
    OS X is crap, Windows isn't great...that's why I use linux

Are you ****ing stupid. Linux is worse than both of those put together.

ReputationRep:
    I'm using one now and it takes me approximately 20 seconds to scroll down the page. gg McTush =.=
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Buy a MacBook Air.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    PERSONAL OPINION! Windows is crap. It may be the best equipped, They could make it free and offer a free laptop with Windows 9, i still wouldn't go near it. Ergh, The usual bul**** opinion then, Just because it's more exspensive than it should be, Doesn't mean it isn't worth it!
    I'm saying this having used all operating systems...

(Original post by TheTechN1304)
    OS X is crap, Windows isn't great...that's why I use linux

Are you ****ing stupid. Linux is worse than both of those put together.
    Tbf I use Linux because it is the best for programming, and it's free.

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't persuade you not to. I love mine - so much better than a windows computer

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jay018)
    You just sound like your up Apples ass, no all windows machines are heap of **** bits of plastic, some do come with metal bodies, 9+ hour batteries, bigger HDDs and bigger screens, and for less than you will pay for an Apple.
    OH HERE WE ****ING GO! I am not "up Apples ass" The iPhone 6,was Just an embarresment, Bull****! You'll still pay 4 figures or insanely close to it! This pro will be under £1150 with Educational Discount. If I wanted a bigger screen I'd get the 15". I don't need a bigger HDD. Point invalid.

ReputationRep:
    The Hardware yes, but as I have previously stated, I would rather (lets have something mythical this time to piss off that other guy ) have Dragons turn my man nuggets to dry-roasted peanuts than have to use windows. If I buy Windows Laptop, It'd have OS X on it before I'd even got it home, And to get similar battery life, design quality, I'd be looking at 4 figures anyway, May aswell make the leap and just go for the macbook
    You are just straight up lying / making stuff up.

Trying to get a job at Apple?

ReputationRep:
    Can somebody post the alternatives for OP to choose from? Obviously with SSD HD, haswell i5 or > processor, 8gb RAM or >, decent display, decent build quality and design (no plastic casing) backlit keyboard, 9hr + battery life, no fan/heat problems etc? I'm curious about where you get all that for half the price.

ReputationRep:
    I have the retina 13" MBP, you've made a wise decision! Best decision of MY life, in fact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edminzodo)
    Buy a MacBook Air.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not enough computing power as i'd like or I would, Plus want the better display...

(Original post by Cameron.M)
    Couldn't persuade you not to. I love mine - so much better than a windows computer

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thankyou! They're works of art!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SarcasticMel)
    You are just straight up lying / making stuff up.

Trying to get a job at Apple?
    Funny enough I had a job at Apple, Minimum wage and wasn't worth the time. Point invalid. And I swear I asked you to **** off my post??

(Original post by e aí rapaz)
    Can somebody post the alternatives for OP to choose from? Obviously with SSD HD, haswell i5 or > processor, 8gb RAM or >, decent display, decent build quality and design (no plastic casing) backlit keyboard, 9hr + battery life, no fan/heat problems etc? I'm curious about where you get all that for half the price.
    Exactly, You'd be looking at 4 figures, The price of a macbook, so why compromise?

(Original post by stewarte)
    I have the retina 13" MBP, you've made a wise decision! Best decision of MY life, in fact.
    Thankyou!

ReputationRep:
    Pretty self explanitary really, Hitting up my local Apple store on Saturday to purchase a 13" pro with retina screen, 2.8Ghz i5, 8GB Ram, 256Gb HDD. Your challenge, should you choose to accept it *Rep Points if you recognise the quote ) is to convince me either into it, or out of it... Just for a bit of fun, who knows, you may even convince me out of my £1500 decision :cool:
    You seem like a bit of a **** so I say go for it, it'll suit you perfectly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mackemforever)
    You seem like a bit of a **** so I say go for it, it'll suit you perfectly.
    Ditto Dude, Ditto. Pointless comment made and answered.

ReputationRep:
    If you are hell bent on going with an apple, which I believe is the wrong decision - but each to their own. *Apples and Oranges* - terrible pun.

For minor photo editing and CAD work you don't really need the higher spec that the Pro gives. Much better off getting an Air with a larger display, looks more aesthetic and will still come out cheaper.

Your choice though No point paying hundreds more for specs and hardware that you won't be using.

ReputationRep:
    I'm imagining that you like Mac OS X already, but here's my thought on actually buying a Mac:

If you want the best specs, buy an Intel Ultrabook and set up a Hackintosh - you'll end up with better than a Mac specs for less money; if you want it to come in a (slightly) prettier box than an Ultrabook, buy a Mac.

ReputationRep:
    As this guy already mentioned, someone needs to post the alternatives. Here are the criteria...

(Original post by e aí rapaz)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: September 30, 2014
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.