Turn on thread page Beta

*Challenge!* You have 3 days to convice me out of buying a Macbook pro! GO! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr...)
    You're worth 2 rep :erm:

Just get it if you want it :rolleyes:
    lol I actually scrolled back to the top to check OP's rep value, it's three now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SarcasticMel)
    Oh Ryan, if only you could shag OS X, huh? Would solve all your problems.
    Lol, I would, She's the perfect women. she doesn't argue back

(Original post by happysmile)
    lol I actually scrolled back to the top to check OP's rep value, it's three now
    I'm not a total ******** I can be helpful if I need too I just prefer being a sarcastic ****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Undisclosed 15)
    Can you link me to this please?
    http://shop.lenovo.com/gb/en/laptops.../y-series/y50/
    or
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-Y50-7.../dp/B00LA01DFA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Godzilla123)
    Lenovo Y50

• Processor:
      Intel Core i7-4710HQ Processor( 2.50GHz 1600MHz 6MB)
    • Operating system:
      Windows 8.1 64
    • System Graphics:
      NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 4GB
    • Total memory:
      16.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz
    • Display type:
      15.6" Ultra HD IPS Glare LED Backlit 3840x2160
    • Hard drive device:
      512GB SSD
    • Optical device:
      DVD Recordable (external)
    • Battery:
      4 Cell Li-Polymer
    • Network card:
      Lenovo BGN Wireless
    • Bluetooth:
      Bluetooth Version 4.0

Price: 1399 quid.

tl;dr - better CPU, better RAM, better hard drive and probably better display as well, considering the GPU and the resolution. Oh, wait, better price too. Oh, and it can run pretty much every piece of software as well. If you want to waste your money, you can always do it by purchasing an Apple product

Edit: I just researched the max resolution of a Macbook Pro and it is 2880x1800. Judge for yourself which one has better resolution.
    And 0.4kg heavier with "up to" 5 hours battery life . Most people actually get higher than quoted battery life (8 hours for 15") with MacBooks, which is pretty much unheard-of with any other manufacturer.

The Y50 is actually known for short battery life. http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-...articleContent

This review also says the screen is dull and desaturated with bad brightness and black levels. There is much more to screens than resolution (IMHO, any resolution higher than 1080p on 15" is really just marketing, and this is from a MBP retina user), and MacBook screens are generally regarded to be one of the best on the market at all times.

Seriously, Mac vs PC usually just boils down to battery life/portability/OSX/screen.

If you don't need those things, PCs are better. If you do, Macs are better.

Y50 is good if you want very high performance and don't care about much else. MBPs give you insane battery life, light weight, and still quite a bit of performance for that weight.

They target totally different segments. Comparing them like you did doesn't really make sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by josh_v)
    How much are you paying for Apple care? I went in store the other week (I live about 5 minutes walk from the Apple shop - I'm in there far too often) and the guy I spoke to told me the Apple care can be bought for £40 with education discount.
    Yeah I remember paying £40 for apple care too, that was 3 years ago though, its pretty cool of its still the same price (never used it though)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benji385)
    Yeah I remember paying £40 for apple care too, that was 3 years ago though, its pretty cool of its still the same price (never used it though)
    I read the description of it...I couldn't actually work out what you actually get for the money. And idea?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ryan-Slade)
    Precisley, Your insurance each year (Under 20s) is the same price as a mac, let alone the rest of it
    wish you were right, my 1st year of insurance cost more than twice as much as this macbook. Also 2x as much as the car itself. It was a rip off, but needed for work

ReputationRep:
    I read the description of it...I couldn't actually work out what you actually get for the money. And idea?
    One thing for sure, you don't get accidental damage cover. My screen broke (to this day no idea how, its a macbook air btw) and it was not covered. They should start fixing those just like with iPhones. Oh well, its too late now

ReputationRep:
    paid £63 yesterday for 3 Years.... Not much of an increase
    basically an extended warranty, As long as you didn't cause the problem, they fix it also get the phone support and software support etc

wish you were right, my 1st year of insurance cost more than twice as much as this macbook. Also 2x as much as the car itself. It was a rip off, but needed for work
    yep, I remember mine, was 3 years ago though, Had a 98 Corsa 1.0 ( Basic model ) Paid £600 for the car and ended up having to pay £1900 in insurance, Was goddam pathetic

ReputationRep:
    One thing for sure, you don't get accidental damage cover. My screen broke (to this day no idea how, its a macbook air btw) and it was not covered. They should start fixing those just like with iPhones. Oh well, its too late now

basically an extended warranty, As long as you didn't cause the problem, they fix it also get the phone support and software support etc
    Hardly seems worth it. Would sooner save the money and put it towards insuring it, then its covered for damage, loss, theft and all that crap. Im hardly likely to ring Apple to help me use the laptop - they aren't exactly complicated.

ReputationRep:
    Hardly seems worth it. Would sooner save the money and put it towards insuring it, then its covered for damage, loss, theft and all that crap. Im hardly likely to ring Apple to help me use the laptop - they aren't exactly complicated.
    I agree, For the normal £199 it isn't, With the discount it's slightly more plausible to get, I pay £20 a month to "Protect My bubble" and get most of my gadgets insured to just in case

ReputationRep:

yep, I remember mine, was 3 years ago though, Had a 98 Corsa 1.0 ( Basic model ) Paid £600 for the car and ended up having to pay £1900 in insurance, Was goddam pathetic
    Mine was 2 years ago, paid 2 grand for seat ibiza 1.2, paid over 3 grand for insurance. Did park my car at a pretty crap location though, so that could also be why. Anyway, at least I had an accident so it was worth it :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I agree, For the normal £199 it isn't, With the discount it's slightly more plausible to get, I pay £20 a month to "Protect My bubble" and get most of my gadgets insured to just in case
    I only bought it cos the £40 seemed like a great offer, would never have paid £200. Gonna check that protect my bubble thing though

ReputationRep:
    Only idiots would pay 1000+ for a 13inch laptop.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I only bought it cos the £40 seemed like a great offer, would never have paid £200. Gonna check that protect my bubble thing though
    you should do! it's pretty good

ReputationRep:
    Mine was 2 years ago, paid 2 grand for seat ibiza 1.2, paid over 3 grand for insurance. Did park my car at a pretty crap location though, so that could also be why. Anyway, at least I had an accident so it was worth it :cool:
    Lol, Sounds like yours was worth alot more than mine too I never crashed, Did shove it on a banger track afterwards though god I miss that car

ReputationRep:
    I hope you enjoy your overpriced piece of overmarketed crap. Seriously, the whole iMac iPad iPod iOS is geared towards a self centered generation, Judy notice the emphasis on "i". Only serious tools buy into that rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WeedCanKill)
    I hope you enjoy your overpriced piece of overmarketed crap. Seriously, the whole iMac iPad iPod iOS is geared towards a self centered generation, Judy notice the emphasis on "i". Only serious tools buy into that rubbish.
    Really? I thought the whole Apple product line was created so that self-centred Apple haters who have nothing better to do can insult people based on their choice of a product to feel superior .

What about emphasis on the i? It's bad that Apple has consistent naming across it's product line? What about Microsoft's emphasis on the word "Windows"? How about Asus's Zenbook? You think everyone should just use generic names?

Apple Laptop 15", Asus Laptop 13", HP Laptop 15"?

I'd like to think only serious tools think that .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihavemooedtoday)
    Really? I thought the whole Apple product line was created so that self-centred Apple haters who have nothing better to do can insult people based on their choice of a product to feel superior .

What about emphasis on the i? It's bad that Apple has consistent naming across it's product line? What about Microsoft's emphasis on the word "Windows"? How about Asus's Zenbook? You think everyone should just use generic names?

Apple Laptop 15", Asus Laptop 13", HP Laptop 15"?

I'd like to think only serious tools think that .
    Good troll 8/10

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WeedCanKill)
    Good troll 8/10
    So you think you are 10/10? What makes you think you are a better troll than me?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: September 30, 2014
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.