This discussion is closed.
temerity
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I have an M2 exam tomorrow and was wondering if anyone could help me.

in the questions involving ladders, you take moments about a point and you Do force x distance x sin/cosa

How do you know whether to use sin or cos in this situation ?

Thanks
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Oink.
rowei
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I did A-level Maths several years ago, but I think it depends on whether you're resolving vertically or horizontally (or something like that!). I'm sure someone else will put you straight.
Darkness
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
If you're awake, you generally use cosa for the weight and sina for the reaction from the wall. This is because you're looking for the PERPENDICULAR distance of the line of action of the force to the point at which you're taking moments about.

Best of luck, I've got M2 tomorrow (today) as well, and then 4 exams on Friday, and then two the following week. Help me LORD.
temerity
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
thanks for the help, good luck for you exams. what exams do u have on friday, i have synoptic physics which is bound to be hard!
Darkness
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
No problem.

I have physics units 4 & 5 on Friday but not the Synoptic. I have that to enjoy next thursday. But I have an Economics synoptic instead.

Good luck with yours as well.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your firm and insurance uni choices yet?

Yes (38)
56.72%
Yes, but I want to swap them (5)
7.46%
No, but I know who I want to choose (7)
10.45%
No, I still don't know who I want to choose (15)
22.39%
I have decided I don't want to go to uni anymore and will not be choosing (2)
2.99%

Watched Threads