josh_v
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So its been quite a while since I've done any integration. I briefly covered it during Access course before starting uni. And for some reason, it was largely ignored on my undergrad degree.

Anyway, today I went to an 'crash course' in maths based on what I will be covering in my MSc and apparently I'm going to need to know plenty of integration.

Does anyone know of a good source that can take me from the very basics all the way up to a decent level of integration?

Thanks
tombayes
  • Study Helper
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well it depends on what you know already. It is quite difficult to do integration without having an understanding of differentiation. I would say look at some youtube videos Khan Academy ones are good as is MIT Open Courseware (http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathemati...lus-fall-2010/). Look through that link.

What do you mean by a decent level? Because since your taking an MSc would they expect an undergraduate physical science understanding i.e. multivariate calculus? Maybe if I knew your exact requirements i.e. syllabus. I could help more.
josh_v
Rep:
?
(Original post by tombayes)
Well it depends on what you know already. It is quite difficult to do integration without having an understanding of differentiation. I would say look at some youtube videos Khan Academy ones are good as is MIT Open Courseware (http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathemati...lus-fall-2010/). Look through that link.

What do you mean by a decent level? Because since your taking an MSc would they expect an undergraduate physical science understanding i.e. multivariate calculus? Maybe if I knew your exact requirements i.e. syllabus. I could help more.
Im ok with differentiation. I need to work on differentiating trig functions since that wasn't in my undergrad. I just have hardly done integration.

Im studying MSc Financial Risk Management at UCL. Topics include Black-Scholes, Jump-diffusion and levy processes, quadrature methods, fourier methods, monte carlo methods.
tombayes
  • Study Helper
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by josh_v)
Im ok with differentiation. I need to work on differentiating trig functions since that wasn't in my undergrad. I just have hardly done integration.

Im studying MSc Financial Risk Management at UCL. Topics include Black-Scholes, Jump-diffusion and levy processes, quadrature methods, fourier methods, monte carlo methods.
Black-Scholes model involves Partial Differential Equations so I would guess that you would need to cover single and multivariate calculus, ordinary differential equations, and applications you may want to cover basic stochastic calculus (for levy processes). This is all on MIT open courseware so take a look at that. What was your undergrad degree?
josh_v
Rep:
?
(Original post by tombayes)
Black-Scholes model involves Partial Differential Equations so I would guess that you would need to cover single and multivariate calculus, ordinary differential equations, and applications you may want to cover basic stochastic calculus (for levy processes). This is all on MIT open courseware so take a look at that. What was your undergrad degree?
Thanks for your help.

Undergrad I studied Economics and Finance at Birmingham. Only had very basic integration
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (22)
18.64%
I'm not sure (2)
1.69%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (35)
29.66%
I have already dropped out (3)
2.54%
I'm not a current university student (56)
47.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed