I need some ideas about constructive things to do to fill my time...

Watch
LavenderBlueSky88
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So I'm unemployed and bored.

At first I welcomed the time and freedom but now I'm getting cabin fever. I can waste away the hours watching telly or playing computer games but I just feel like I'm stagnating and my brain is turning to mush.

Currently all I do is go to the gym every other day, have 1 driving lesson a week and have a job centre appointment every fortnight. I'm waiting on job applications and have had a few interviews so far.

I'd love to volunteer but it's just not feasible where I live (arse end of nowhere, no car) plus last time I tried it took me 5 months to get a 1 hour a week position... It was harder than getting a job.

I have no friends left in the area as they've all moved on and job jobs elsewhere.

I just want to be productive, not like I'm wasting my life away.

Any ideas?
gemmam
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Maybe you could look into volunteering online?

Posted from TSR Mobile
David B
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Go to college or university, that's sure to keep you preoccupied for awhile.
LavenderBlueSky88
Rep:
?
(Original post by gemmam)
Maybe you could look into volunteering online?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you mean research online or... Online volunteering? If so what is that?
(Original post by David B)
Go to college or university, that's sure to keep you preoccupied for awhile.
Haha, I've done that twice. I'd like to get a job now!
David B
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by LavenderBlueSky88)
Oh I see, I have no idea then.
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
try and take up some sort of hobby or skill and self teach? it doesn't have to be something particularly relevant to your life, just pick something you could be interested in, a musical instrument, art, learn a language etc
smile:D
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

At first I welcomed the time and freedom but now I'm getting cabin fever. I can waste away the hours watching telly or playing computer games but I just feel like I'm stagnating and my brain is turning to mush.

Currently all I do is go to the gym every other day, have 1 driving lesson a week and have a job centre appointment every fortnight. I'm waiting on job applications and have had a few interviews so far.

I'd love to volunteer but it's just not feasible where I live (arse end of nowhere, no car) plus last time I tried it took me 5 months to get a 1 hour a week position... It was harder than getting a job.

I have no friends left in the area as they've all moved on and job jobs elsewhere.

Any ideas?
Learn a language/ do a MOOC?
LavenderBlueSky88
Rep:
?
(Original post by smile:D)
Learn a language/ do a MOOC?
Yeah I started learning Italian on duolingo, might go back to it. I have actually signed up to a mooc but it doesn't start till November, might have a search and see if there's any more about.
Arkasia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Play Skyrim.
gemmam
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Do you mean research online or... Online volunteering? If so what is that?

I meant volunteering online. I was going to do it for mentoring but I suppose there's other things available.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What games do you play?

Is there any volunteering you could do? If it wasn't for that I would have gone crazy by now. (edit :whoops, you covered this )

I just got rejected from an interview... with nothing else currently lined up. Fun times :rolleyes:
VioletPhillippo
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Find a hobby that you might like to start doing that you could base at home. There are so many tutorials on youtube now for just about anything. You could try a bit of baking, cooking, any type of craft, language, sport. Is there anything nearby that you could do or join?
Yay😊
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you like I. The middle of nowhere then go running or take up photography or something- wildlife- write a novel.

Posted from TSR Mobile
spanker
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Any ideas?
How about..... Woodcarving!?

Could always go cycling around your local area and explore. I done this and found out that I live fairly close to a castle which is pretty cool.
iloveteddy14
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You have lots of options
You can go to your local adult centre and look into hobbies. In my opinion not worth the time or money. (Waste of time not stimulating enough got bored after two weeks.

Do distance learning and self study courses

Write a novel/creative writing
Set yourself a goal to read all the books by your favourite author.

But turn off telly, associate it the end of a long day feeling it doesn't exist or watch and play along with quizzes anything to keep your brain and mind happy.

Also exercise regularly avoid to many lay ins and unproductive days

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (531)
33.95%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (645)
41.24%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (316)
20.2%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (72)
4.6%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise