The Student Room Group

A level combination

Hi. Which A level combination is best to do either economics or law at uni?

Maths, Econs and Philosophy/ethics/RS

or Maths, Econs and Spanish
Reply 1
helppppp
Reply 2
I'd personally go for the first option. Though if this is what you're starting with for AS don't you want 4 subjects?
Second option
Spanish is highly regarded by unis.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
If your college offers law A level or even law BTEC, I would say Law, Economics, And Maths is the best combination for both degrees if you haven't made up your mind yet.

for Law: Law, Philosophy, and Maths is a hood combination as admission tutors love applicants with maths as they believe mathematicians have really good analytical skills.

for Economics: definitely Economics and maths. Your thirdwouldn't really matter however any thing related to economics will be a bonus. A language would come in handy so maybe Spanish.
Reply 5
Original post by 8472
I'd personally go for the first option. Though if this is what you're starting with for AS don't you want 4 subjects?

AS citizenship is a compulsary 4th so i dont want to do 5 AS
Reply 6
also I want to be going to a russel group uni, if that helps
Reply 7
Original post by yesyesyesno
Hi. Which A level combination is best to do either economics or law at uni?

Maths, Econs and Philosophy/ethics/RS

or Maths, Econs and Spanish

It depends.
Which do you think you'll do best in? - an A in 'the lesser regarded subject' is better than a C in 'the more acclaimed subject'.
What do you want to do? - A year abroad during your course? Spanish may be better.
Are you set on a certain degree, or is it a fairly new idea? Whichever you're more interested in!
Reply 8
Original post by Bishoy
If your college offers law A level or even law BTEC, I would say Law, Economics, And Maths is the best combination for both degrees if you haven't made up your mind yet.

for Law: Law, Philosophy, and Maths is a hood combination as admission tutors love applicants with maths as they believe mathematicians have really good analytical skills.

for Economics: definitely Economics and maths. Your thirdwouldn't really matter however any thing related to economics will be a bonus. A language would come in handy so maybe Spanish.

Law at A-Level is literally the most hated A-Level by law admissions tutors!

The second option is better if you ask me, although the first is respected at well!
Reply 9
Original post by MNITJC
It depends.
Which do you think you'll do best in? - an A in 'the lesser regarded subject' is better than a C in 'the more acclaimed subject'.
What do you want to do? - A year abroad during your course? Spanish may be better.
Are you set on a certain degree, or is it a fairly new idea? Whichever you're more interested in!

The 2 degrees I mentioned are my ideal options.
I don't see much difference in my ability in spanish compared to philosophy.
and a MFL is apparently very well recieved
Reply 10
The 2 degrees I mentioned are my ideal options.
I don't see much difference in my ability in spanish compared to philosophy.
and a MFL is apparently very well recieved

But are they concrete? Like definitely not a combined course?
If you're set on those two, stick to whatever you think you'd prefer.
Personally, I think philosophy is more interesting than learning a language.
I think whatever you choose, if you're predicted good grades, you'll get an offer.
Original post by MNITJC
I think whatever you choose, if you're predicted good grades, you'll get an offer.

for either course..? so they're suitable combinations for both courses.?

all in all.. which would put me in a better situation if, hypothetically speaking, i were to get the same grades in both options??
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
for either course..? so theyr suitable combinations.?

Well there's the PPE (Philosophy, Politics & Economics), Philosophy and Economics or Economics with Philosophy.
I know those courses are offered at many universities and are fairly popular.
And obviously, you'd be at an advantage if you were studying philosophy... Although, I don't think it's necessary at the majority for PPE/Economics with Philosophy.
Original post by MNITJC

concrete. Either Law or Economics, I dont think I'd do a combined course.
Reply 14
concrete. Either Law or Economics, I dont think I'd do a combined course.

Well if you're going for a decent uni, go for whatever you think you'd get the most out of/prefer more. Don't worry about how they go together. If you're getting the grades, you'll get an offer :smile:
Don't do A level law. It's a waste of time, even uni lectures say so. One even told a person I know to throw his A level law work away as it has no use a university level.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest