The Student Room Group

The right to die.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by slimster
I am not saying they should or shouldn't have a right but more like they should be the ones ending their own life. What if a doctor is ordered to kill a patient but doesn't want to?

Terminally ill patients who are dying anyway should just wait 2-3 mths and with mentally ill, well we dont know the amount of suffering anyhow. Just my opinion...Religiously based

Well then the patient should have the right to find a doctor who can do it.
Religion doesn't enter into it.
Original post by sherlockfan
Thats a very prejudiced attitude. Im mentally ill and I feel as though I should be able to decide whether to live or die. People with mental illness dont suddenly become incoherent and unable to make decisions.

That's why said 'I'm not sure...', because I understand that different mental illnesses affect different people in different ways - for example, would you accept if a patient who is in their later stages of dementia were to suddenly say that they wanted to die?
Original post by thegodofgod
That's why said 'I'm not sure...', because I understand that different mental illnesses affect different people in different ways - for example, would you accept if a patient who is in their later stages of dementia were to suddenly say that they wanted to die?

:sigh:

dementia is not a mental illness, it's a brain disease. get your facts straight.
(edited 9 years ago)
:sigh:

dementia is not a mental illness, it's a brain disease. get your facts straight.

Either way, it most certainly affects your mental status and ability to think straight.

Btw, it is a mental illness:

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=117
Either way, it most certainly affects your mental status and ability to think straight.

Btw, it is a mental illness:

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=117

No not either way, if youre gonna argue then do your research first. Dementia can cause depression in some people but it is by no means a mental illness itself. Look up the definition. I don't know why youre showing me the mental health act.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 25
Thats a very prejudiced attitude. Im mentally ill and I feel as though I should be able to decide whether to live or die. People with mental illness dont suddenly become incoherent and unable to make decisions.

I have OCD and I'm studying mental health, people with mental health problems have ups & downs, like my mum has bipolar for instance if she is in a depressive state she might be sucidial, she might want to end her life, when she becomes stable she no longer wants to end her life, I see what you mean with people with hard to manage symptoms but really people with most mental illnesses can live full and happy lives if appropriate treatment is put in place, but if someone who has a terminally ill condition Cancer, Motor Neuron disease, severe disablement will only get worse so you should have the help to die if you wish.
Reply 26
No not either way, if youre gonna argue then do your research first. Dementia can cause depression in some people but it is by no means a mental illness itself. Look up the definition. I don't know why youre showing me the mental health act.

Dementia is considered a mental illness in medicine and the psychiatric field

I would assume because the first couple of lines classify dementia as a 'disorder or disability of the mind', the same as any mental disorder.

There's absolutely no way that anyone with mental illness should be allowed to make a decision about their right to die, 'cause I'm pretty sure there's little chance they'd be in the correct frame of mind to make a decision of that magnitude.

If you read the 2nd sentence of the 1st paragraph of that webpage, you will see that dementia is classified as a mental disorder in England and Wales.

Now, back to my original point - would you accept if someone in their latter stages of dementia wanted to medically kill themselves? If yes, why, and if no, why not?
Reply 29
Watch this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uKhTivNPKg

Someone dying of cancer, they look massively in pain

then this, someone with a terminal illness dying by assisted suicide, eating chocolate laughing and joking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RKTuDYp6M8

I know which way I'd rather go.
Original post by slimster
Death is not painless even if you think it will be. Everyone will taste Death regardless if you use Nembutal.

Yeah that is religiously biased.

However, we have a moral set of codes that we lean towards naturally from birth, but you think we should forget these when we are in pain?

If I could afford to sustain a drug habit for all my life, is it right? Is it moral to do drugs?. No IMO

Why do patients always leave it to the very end when they are not capable of ending it themselves to ask for death?
If they are capable then there is no argument with any one is there?

Why dont you give them **** loads of heroin everyday to ease the pain along with some cocaine and ecstacy topped with a spliff.
I would not ever kill someone even if they asked. Tough

I have read a lot of ****e on TSR over time but this takes the cake. What a load of absolute ****e you just said...
Original post by vickidc18
Dementia is considered a mental illness in medicine and the psychiatric field

dementia is a result of brain disease. mental illness is not.

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=106
If you read the 2nd sentence of the 1st paragraph of that webpage, you will see that dementia is classified as a mental disorder in England and Wales.

Now, back to my original point - would you accept if someone in their latter stages of dementia wanted to medically kill themselves? If yes, why, and if no, why not?

the key word here being disorder, not illness.
also you seem to be confusing dementia with alzheimer's disease, they're not the same.
yes of course, dementia is a horrible thing to die of.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 33
Live and let die song came into my head
the key word here being disorder, not illness.
also you seem to be confusing dementia with alzheimer's disease, they're not the same.
yes of course, dementia is a horrible thing to die of.

Could you please explain the difference between a disorder and an illness then? (Genuinely curious, as I can't seem to find anything on Google about the two being any different - Wikipedia seems to use them interchangeably: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Causes_of_mental_disorders and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mental_disorder)

I understand that Alzheimer's disease and dementia are not exactly the same; the former can be a cause of the latter.

Yes, of course it is horrible, but how would you be able to distinguish whether a patient with dementia really wanted to die, whereas it could also be the product of severe symptoms - when someone can't even remember who their son/daughter is, how do you think they would able to consent to medically committing suicide?

P.s. I've had a look at the references on those Wikipedia pages and they're all from primary, legit sources.
(edited 9 years ago)
Could you please explain the difference between a disorder and an illness then? (Genuinely curious, as I can't seem to find anything on Google about the two being any different - Wikipedia seems to use them interchangeably: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Causes_of_mental_disorders and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mental_disorder)

I understand that Alzheimer's disease and dementia are not exactly the same; the former can be a cause of the latter.

Yes, of course it is horrible, but how would you be able to distinguish whether a patient with dementia really wanted to die, whereas it could also be the product of severe symptoms - when someone can't even remember who their son/daughter is, how do you think they would able to consent to medically committing suicide?

P.s. I've had a look at the references on those Wikipedia pages and they're all from primary, legit sources.

A mental disorder is presumed to have some biological cause, like Alzheimers disease or huntington's, which can cause memory loss.
you cant put dementia in the same category as anxiety, depression, schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, etc, because most of the time it arises from biological causes that often have no cure and are terminal.
disorder of the brain =/=disorder of the mind.
(edited 9 years ago)
A mental disorder is presumed to have some biological cause, like Alzheimers disease or huntington's, which can cause memory loss.
you cant put dementia in the same category as anxiety, depression, schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, etc, because most of the time it arises from biological causes that often have no cure and are terminal.

Thanks for the explanation, which is all well and good, but your response has detracted from the main point - how can someone who's not in the right frame of mind be able to consent to killing themselves?
Thanks for the explanation, which is all well and good, but your response has detracted from the main point - how can someone who's not in the right frame of mind be able to consent to killing themselves?

i think if the person is suffering so much and is no longer able to experience a second of a day without being in pain or suffering, they should have the right to have their lives ended.
but my original point applied to people who have severe forms of depression, anxiety or schizophrenia and are no longer able to have a good quality of life, nor is there hope that there will be able to in the future. for these people too, life has no purpose and they should have the right to end it.
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm firmly in the rite to die camp.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending