The Student Room Group

Predicted grades and uni choices

I'm applying for law and have achieved BBC in my A-levels. However, in summer 2013 my mum was admitted to hospital as had several rounds of surgery, which continued until January.
Because of this, when I applied for University last autumn, my predicted grades were ABB, and I subsequently got rejected from the University of Manchester, which was my first choice. Anyway, I didn't end up finishing the year and dropped out in January, as I had missed too much and my attendence was too low.

However, when I was sitting my AS Levels, it was when my mum was in hospital, and because of this I underachieved, as based on my previous work I was on course to get AAA.

I'm back in a different college now and I'm reapplying. My teachers are likely to predict me AAA as the quality of my work is A grade, and the BBC was due to mitigating circumstances.
I'm applying to Manchester, Liverpool, Sheffield, Leicester and Liverpool John Moores (in-case I massively mess up).
Are these universities - particularly Manchester and Sheffield - likely to give me an offer despite my BBC at AS? Obviously my predicted grades would be AAA, and I would have my references mention my circumstances, and I have mentioned it in my personal statement.

EDIT: That reads a bit confused. What I mean is during AS I was working at A grade. Because of my circumstances I achieved BBC. Because I achieved BBC, my college weren't very understanding and predicted me ABB. I dropped out. I started at a new college, who after seeing examples of my work and past papers etc, are probably going to predict me AAA.
(edited 9 years ago)
Call them and ask as our advice would be anecdotal and thus not particularly useful to you.
What subject are you applying for? This is a fairly crucial piece of info

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are you are asking 'will it matter that its taken me 3 years to get my A Levels?'?

Yes, for some Universities it will, though others will be sympathetic about your circumstances.
The best plan is to email them and ask. Make it a brief email - just 'I did badly in my A levels despite good predictions. This was due only to family illness. I am now repeating my A 2 year. I hope to get ........ grades in ......' and ask if this will be a disadvantage.

PS. You should not mention what happened last year in your PS. Leave that for your referee. You should concentrate on 'why I want to study Law' and the evidence for that, not seeming to make excuses for 'last year'. You do not need to mention any of that.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending