The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Shows how much faith they have in Muslims being peaceful about all this...
Reply 2
All that beautiful artwork will blow up :frown:. Someone teach these stupid Terrorists something about culture!
WokSz
All that beautiful artwork will blow up :frown:. Someone teach these stupid Terrorists something about culture!

I highly doubt it'd happen...
Jokerman
Shows how much faith they have in Muslims being peaceful about all this...

It's not like there's a lack of precedant for a correlation between 'muslims moaning' and 'muslims burning stuff' is it?
Call Robert Langdon! Honestly, this is getting silly now.
WokSz
Well, considering what they did to the Golden Mosque, I think the term "uncultured Philistines" is apposite. Apologies to any actual Philistines.

But yeah. Listen up, terrorists - phear the pikes of the Swiss Guard, and don't forget that the Vatican City State is the most highly militarised nation on the face of the earth.
Reply 7
lol.

don't they already have metal detectors etc at the vatican anyway?
Reply 8
Yeah, they do.
Reply 9
I'm told that security there is very discrete and very tight.

Apart from the Swiss mercs I doubt the Carabinieri would be too chuffed about the idea.
Reply 10
and don't forget that the Vatican City State is the most highly militarised nation on the face of the earth.

Really? lol.
Why on earth would they blow up the Vatican over simple misunderstanding. They have already blown it way out of proportion.
Reply 11
Ossie1701
Really? lol.
Why on earth would they blow up the Vatican over simple misunderstanding. They have already blown it way out of proportion.

why would they put a bounty on certain cartoonists' heads, burn embassies and call for the distruction of the west over a simple cartoon?

:rolleyes:
Reply 12
Oh the irony :rolleyes:
Reply 13
why would they put a bounty on certain cartoonists' heads, burn embassies and call for the distruction of the west over a simple cartoon?

Hmm. yes I see.
I think someone put the point rather aptly on Sunday AM - about 3/4 months ago. I cannot remember who said it (it was a he) but they remarked that while Christianity, as a religion is somewhere in the 1960s. Islam is still in the 12th Century.
Reply 14
Agent Smith
Listen up, terrorists - phear the pikes of the Swiss Guard, and don't forget that the Vatican City State is the most highly militarised nation on the face of the earth.

Well if they're not too busy having sex with each other. I'm too lazy to post the link to the scandal here.
Reply 15
Bismarck
I'd hate to say the obvious, but there isn't a single Muslim living in Vatican City...

There is in Rome though.

Besides which only clerics and clerks live in the Vatican City. Most of the population in the day is composed of tourists, of whom many would be foreigners. It would not be difficult at all for a foreign national to immigrate (or for that matter simply move from one EU state to another) to Italy and cause mass distruction amongst visters and pilgrims.
Ossie1701
Really? lol.

I think it's because it has such a tiny population that about a third of it is part of their armed forces (which themselves aren't exactly huge (under 150))
Reply 17
I'd hate to say the obvious, but there isn't a single Muslim living in Vatican City...

Surely thats discrimination. Tut, tut, tut.
Reply 18
I wouldn't be surprised if someone did try something - embassies were attacked after those cartoons blew up, and they were far less directly linked than the Vatican is to the Pope's comments.

Unfortunately for Islam, the actions of those who call themselves Muslims and firebomb things, blow themselves up or gun people down do far more damage to its image than cartoons or remarks in a speech.

I can't work out what the comments were intended to achieve. On the one hand, it seems hard to believe that he couldn't have guessed the reaction to quoting that particular passage. But then the cartoons apparently only made serious news after a few Danish imams took them to the middle east and went round telling people about them and getting them worked up. Who knows how many comments slip past without us ever being aware of them.

The worrying possibility is that if the comments were made in an awareness of the likely response, it looks like an attempt to damage the image of Islam. I think that most independent observers will come to the conclusion that the remarks were not aimed at Muslims, and that it was a careless but honest mistake (full text of the speech at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/pdfs/15_09_06_pope.pdf if you want to consider this for yourself). The press will inevitably focus on the relatively few violent responses to it, adding a little more ammunition to those who argue that Islam is inherently warlike and violent.
Reply 19
Ferrus
There is in Rome though.

Besides which only clerics and clerks live in the Vatican City. Most of the population in the day is composed of tourists, of whom many would be foreigners. It would not be difficult at all for a foreign national to immigrate (or for that matter simply move from one EU state to another) to Italy and cause mass distruction amongst visters and pilgrims.

Quite correct Ferrus!

Unlike Mecca, where only Muslims are allowed, tourists of all faiths (including Islam) are allowed to visit Vatican city. They do not need visas for VC, but do need them to enter Italy.

Muslims are welcomed in Vatican city as witnessed by the representatives of that faith group invited to the funeral of Pope John Paul II.

Latest