Dewhurstk20
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I am currently a third year undergraduate Psychology student about to begin my dissertation.

I had to take a year out between second and third year, before which I had written my proposal. On coming back to this work a year and a half later, I've decided it would be in my best interests to scrap it and come up with something new.

I am extremely interested in using qualitative techniques to research experiences with the mental disorder anxiety, and see how these experiences differ for someone managing their anxiety with medication and someone managing without.

the only issue I have is that the two participants I wish to use for my case studies are people that to know. Would it be against ethical guidelines to base research on these participants even if they are happy to participate and speak openly with me, and I have gained informed consent?

any advice is welcome :-)
hellodave5
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Dewhurstk20)
I am currently a third year undergraduate Psychology student about to begin my dissertation.

I had to take a year out between second and third year, before which I had written my proposal. On coming back to this work a year and a half later, I've decided it would be in my best interests to scrap it and come up with something new.

I am extremely interested in using qualitative techniques to research experiences with the mental disorder anxiety, and see how these experiences differ for someone managing their anxiety with medication and someone managing without.

the only issue I have is that the two participants I wish to use for my case studies are people that to know. Would it be against ethical guidelines to base research on these participants even if they are happy to participate and speak openly with me, and I have gained informed consent?

any advice is welcome :-)
Wouldn't you need more than 2 accounts to do some kind of qualitative analysis, though? (Bare in mind I know little about qual).
It could be problematic in that, as you know them, they may be very selective about what they tell you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (42)
36.84%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (10)
8.77%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (5)
4.39%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (29)
25.44%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (18)
15.79%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (10)
8.77%

Watched Threads