The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Accommodation: A guide to what you need to know

Scroll to see replies

Original post by laurajo93
Hi, i've just accepted a place for an MSc in Ergonomics/human factors and now looking at postgrad halls and trying to get a better idea which to go for out of the halls available this year (john phillips, harry french, falk egg & forest court).
Id like somewhere that is social but not too crazy and If possible id like to bring my car, has anyone got any advice?
What are the postgrad rooms in harry french like? they seem quite expensive for what they are :s-smilie:

Laura

Hi Laura

Here are the links to the Postgrad halls with a bit more info - we have 2 halls that are just postgrad and 2 that are mixed postgrad and undergrad:

Falk Egg
This is undergrad and postgrad halls and with 519 bedrooms is the biggest.

Harry French
This is undergrad and postgrad, bit smaller that Falk Egg with 389 bedrooms

Forest Court
This is dedicated to postgrad and is the smallest with 144 bedrooms

John Phillips
This is dedicated to postgrad and has 289 bedrooms

With your question about Harry French, postgrad students are located in converted Victorian houses which have traditional rooms in 1-2 bedroom flats with kitchen and bathroom - so that's why they are the price they are. Have a look on the "occupancy & costs" tab on the Harry French link I've sent and there's a list of what postgrads get with costs.

If you need any more info, let me know.

Vicky
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Hi,

I got an offer for chemistry with sports science and am pretty interested in towers (cause its catered 7/7 and no en-suite bathrooms which I think are usually pretty bad). My two main questions are: 1. Towers is still in the village but pretty far from the rest of the halls, would this mean any kind of separation (or exclusion?) from big events? -- in turn this might also mean less noise at night? 2. Would this hall be close to the lectures I'd have?

Thanks!
Original post by Loughborough University
Hi EverybodyHertz

It is confusing - but you've got it right :smile:
In May you register to get you in the system and after results is when you get to pick.

Vicky

Thanks Vicky, that's made a lot of sense!!
Thank you :smile:
Original post by CristinaEs
Hi,

I got an offer for chemistry with sports science and am pretty interested in towers (cause its catered 7/7 and no en-suite bathrooms which I think are usually pretty bad). My two main questions are: 1. Towers is still in the village but pretty far from the rest of the halls, would this mean any kind of separation (or exclusion?) from big events? -- in turn this might also mean less noise at night? 2. Would this hall be close to the lectures I'd have?

Thanks!

Hi ChristinaEs

Congrats on your offer! :smile:

In answer to your questions, Towers isn't located in what we term as the village, it's located in East park. However, no it doesn't mean any exclusion or separation. I'm not sure it would mean less noise at night, but then I've never stayed on campus, so maybe someone who has will answer on that one. In terms of your course, yes it will be closer to your lectures than halls in the village.

Hope that's answered everything!
Vicky
Original post by EverybodyHertz
Thanks Vicky, that's made a lot of sense!!
Thank you :smile:

No problem glad to help :cool:
Original post by Loughborough University
Hi ChristinaEs

Congrats on your offer! :smile:

In answer to your questions, Towers isn't located in what we term as the village, it's located in East park. However, no it doesn't mean any exclusion or separation. I'm not sure it would mean less noise at night, but then I've never stayed on campus, so maybe someone who has will answer on that one. In terms of your course, yes it will be closer to your lectures than halls in the village.

Hope that's answered everything!
Vicky

Thanks so much for your quick and helpful answer! (On this thread it says towers is located in the village, maybe its meant to say east park? :smile: )
Original post by CristinaEs
Thanks so much for your quick and helpful answer! (On this thread it says towers is located in the village, maybe its meant to say east park? :smile: )

Hi ChristinaEs

No problem and thank you for pointing out my typo in the initial post :redface: - I've edited now and it says East.

Vicky
Reply 27
Hi,

I've firmed my offer to study Sport and Exercise Science in 2015 and I am starting to think about accommodation.

My preferences are Bakewell and Rigg-Rut, how far are these to the Sports Science part of the university? Apart from these two, which other self catered accommodation are the closest to Sports Science?

Thanks
Grace
Hi Grace

Glad to hear you've firmed your offer :smile:

For Sport and Exercise Science, the 2 closest self-catered halls are Butler Court and Falk Egg.

Towers is close too but that's catered.

Bakewell & Rigg-Rutt are based in the student village so are right in the centre of campus (so handy for Library for example).

No where is really far to be honest, and there's a free campus shuttle bus which goes round campus, so you can always get on one of those.

Hope this helps
Vicky
Reply 29
Hi Vicky,

Thank you!

Also do you know when I should hear from Loughborough to say that they know that I've firmed my offer so that I can start the accommodation process?

Thanks
Grace
Hi Grace

You're welcome!
I'm not sure of the process after you've firmed, but for accommodation, you'll get an e-mail in May telling you how to register and the next steps that are involved.

Vicky
Hi, as soon as I choose it as my firm can I select accommodation or do I have to wait for a set date?
Original post by Qawsedrft123
Hi, as soon as I choose it as my firm can I select accommodation or do I have to wait for a set date?

Hi Qawsedrft123,

It's not an immediate response. If you've chosen Loughborough as your firm, you will be able to register your request for University accommodation online from late May. The Student Accommodation Centre sends an email to you with appropriate instructions on how to apply for your room in late April. Reserving a room happens in August after results day and once your place at Loughborough has been confirmed I believe.

More information about applying for your room is available on the Accommodation website: http://www.lboro.ac.uk/services/campus-living/accommodation/prospectivestudents/undergraduate/

Hope that helps! :smile:
Jarrah
Hi, I have got an offer for the physics course at Loughborough and I was wandering whether the Holt was near the department? I wanted to apply for the studio flat.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by raheelshakir
Hi, I have got an offer for the physics course at Loughborough and I was wandering whether the Holt was near the department? I wanted to apply for the studio flat.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi raheelshakir,

Congratulations on your offer! :smile:

So the Holt isn't the closest the hall to the Physics building, which is the David Davies building. This would be David Collett (catered) or Robert Bakewell in the student village (self-catered). But the thing about Loughborough is nothing is ever really far away. The Holt is situated just off campus and a quick look at google maps says its just over a mile away from the Physics building, so about a 15-20min walk depending on your pace. If you bring a bike on campus you'd get there in about 10 minutes!

It doesn't matter really what halls you choose in relation to your department, as none of them are really too far away and all have different benefits depending on their location (the Holt for example is the closest hall to the Tesco hypermarket which is quite handy!). You'll also find course mates and people who study in the same area staying at each hall who will all be in the same position, making that walk to your 9am lecture slightly more enjoyable. It depends really on what you would prefer.

Hope that helps and best of luck with everything!
Jarrah
Thanks very much Jarrah! That was really helpful

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Hey, I would like to know if there are any visit days to view accommodation In Loughborough.
Original post by rebe_cca
Hey, I would like to know if there are any visit days to view accommodation In Loughborough.

Hi rebe_cca

It depends whether you're applying for 2015 or 2016.
There aren't any open days between now and start of term.
The accommodation is open during our University wide open days which have already been and gone for September 2015 intake.
We've got videos for the halls here so that might be worth a look in helping you make up your mind.

If you're thinking of applying for 2016, there are Open Days in June. If you want more info on these, visit www.lboro.ac.uk/opendays

Let me know if you need to know anything else.

Vicky
Reply 38
I firmed Loughborough so I was wondering what would be the best accommodation. I would like to be self catered, with my own en suite
Original post by rebe_cca
I firmed Loughborough so I was wondering what would be the best accommodation. I would like to be self catered, with my own en suite

Hi rebe_cca,

Congratulations on your offer! :biggrin: Choosing accommodation is quite exciting but it's hard to know which one would be best for you, and it also depends on what's available (I had the same problems deciding when I was looking at accommodation). You know that you want self-catered and en-suite, which helps to narrow down the choices! We have four halls that fit this category; William Morris (also known as Bill Mo), Hazlerigg-Rutland (Rigg-Rutt), Robert Bakewell and Butler Court. Some of these halls have a mix of en-suite rooms and shared bathroom rooms, but I think Rigg-Rutt and Robert Bakewell provide only en-suite.

It depends on what you are after for which hall would be most suitable for you. All four halls have a great social atmosphere but it might depend on where you want to be based on campus that will affect it. Robert Bakewell and Rigg-Rutt for example are in the heart of the student village and good locations for engineering, science and humanities courses, while Butler Court is ideal location if you want to roll out of bed and head on over the Sport Science, English and Drama or Geography. Bill-Mo is just a stone's throw away from the Students' Union, which is where you'll probably spend most of your evenings! It doesn't matter too much though about where you go, as the campus is compact enough that any destination is about 20 minutes max.

I'd suggest having a look at the 360's images of the individual rooms and kitchens so you get an idea of what the halls are like (and if you have a preference): http://www.lboro.ac.uk/services/campus-living/accommodation/halls/360degreeviews/

As well, here's the halls fee guide for 2014/15 to give you an idea of costing for each hall: http://www.lboro.ac.uk/services/campus-living/accommodation/sidebar/Hall%20Fees%202014-15%20Returner%20Web%20Version.pdf

Hope that helps! Best of luck with everything,
Jarrah

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending