The Student Room Group

Are these Uni choices okay?

Hi :smile:

So i'd just basically like a second opinion on my uni choices before i start the application.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Those choices are fine.
Original post by ByronicHero
Those choices are fine.

No they're not. Don't listen to the moron and your teacher, you could easily apply and get offers to places like Bristol, UCL, Warwick, other good unis and even Oxbridge. You should only have 1 safe choice tbh.
(edited 9 years ago)
(Ultimately it's up to you, never apply for somewhere you don't want to go to)

If it was me..

Drop bath spa and go for one anywhere in between AAB and BBB

you got three A's at AS. Come on, you'd be very unlucky (assuming you work hard) to fall to ABB imo. I'd even be a bit cautious about Chester, unless that is your absolute easy back up option.

Good luck :smile:
Original post by Dilzo999
No they're not. Don't listen to the moron and your teacher, you could easily apply and get offers to places like Bristol, UCL, Warwick, other good unis and even Oxbridge. You should only have 1 safe choice tbh.

Firstly, grow up.

Secondly, I didn't say she couldn't. I said her choices were fine - which they are. Not everyone wants to apply to those universities. They make it clear that they are applying for the courses they ideally would like offers for.

I'm sorry that their desire to attend universities other than those you deem appropriate upsets you.
What course are you applying for? You don't need both bath spa and chester. If i was you, i would apply to 1 A*AA (if you think you can get those grades) 2 AAA-AAB and 2 ABB.
Reply 6
Don't look at it like a game, ignore people who say 'oh, you should apply to X and Y, and take a risk on Z'.

Just pick 5 you can see yourself going to for 3 years of your life, and apply to them.
You should definitely aim higher than this, if you're predicted A*AA and you've already achieved such a good set of AS results you should definitely apply for the top unis in the course you want to study because you'll have no problem getting in with those grades. But at the same time make sure it's somewhere you actually want to go, there's no point applying to Oxbridge for example if you don't actually want to go there.

Which course are you looking to apply for?
Just remember that you can definitely aim higher.
Unless you really like Bath Spa and Chester, drop them and aim higher - with those grades, you can easily be looking at Russell Group unis.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
Quick question.. as i got aaab and dropped one of the A's.. will universities still see/care about the dropped A?

Thanks for your help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sar_Grant
Quick question.. as i got aaab and dropped one of the A's.. will universities still see/care about the dropped A?

Thanks for your help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes they will see. Why should they care?
Reply 13
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Yes they will see. Why should they care?

Ah ok. I just mean does your As level that you dropped count toward your application?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sar_Grant
Ah ok. I just mean does your As level that you dropped count toward your application?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It depends on the terms of your offer. Most universities will specify 3 grades from A2s, but some will also (but rarely) want an AS as well. These will tend to be top-of-the-range universities. If your offer is expressed as points, then the offer will specify where these points can come from, and it is quite possible to use the AS to make up the total if it says something like '300 points from at least 2 full A levels'.
Reply 15
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
It depends on the terms of your offer. Most universities will specify 3 grades from A2s, but some will also (but rarely) want an AS as well. These will tend to be top-of-the-range universities. If your offer is expressed as points, then the offer will specify where these points can come from, and it is quite possible to use the AS to make up the total if it says something like '300 points from at least 2 full A levels'.

Ah i see, thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you're happy with the unis and the courses at them, then your choices are fine - if you wanted to, though, you could apply to some Unis which are more 'competitive' or have higher entry requirements - I think Nottingham does Creative Writing :smile: at the end of the day though, you have to pick Unis that you would realistically be happy going to - if you don't like the look of any Unis with higher entry requirements, then don't apply! It's totally up to you where you apply x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending