Is a Masters Degree Worthwhile for a Crossover of Pathways? Music to Business... Watch

bisforbenj
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi,

I'm currently in my third year of a BA (Hons) in Commercial Music and the prospect of entering the big wide world of work has dawned on me, which is rather daunting...

I'm on course for a definite 2:1, but a first is definitely achievable and I'm currently deciding on my dissertation topic and believe it would be a good idea to base this on a potential masters degree.

I have been researching the pros // cons of a masters degrees and considered a few different options, but I've concluded that if I am to further my education I would like to study a business related MA/Msc. I've looked into both standard business masters and also ones that are related to the creative industries.

One of two things really:
- Is a crossover a good choice to enhance job prospects? I'm fully aware music was probably not the best choice of undergrad degrees, but I've definitely evolved as a musician and person over the past two years and it has been an enjoyable experience.
- Is a MA/Msc in business actually going to be at all relevant to employers, both in the world of music industries and the broader world of business, or are they just going to be looking for hands-on experience?

At the moment I'm fairly open to where and what I would like my job to consist of. Preferably within the music industry, but if not I am interested in working within business.

Thanks very much for any replies and useful information, it's much appreciated.
GandalfWhite
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by bisforbenj)
Hi,

I'm currently in my third year of a BA (Hons) in Commercial Music and the prospect of entering the big wide world of work has dawned on me, which is rather daunting...

I'm on course for a definite 2:1, but a first is definitely achievable and I'm currently deciding on my dissertation topic and believe it would be a good idea to base this on a potential masters degree.

I have been researching the pros // cons of a masters degrees and considered a few different options, but I've concluded that if I am to further my education I would like to study a business related MA/Msc. I've looked into both standard business masters and also ones that are related to the creative industries.

One of two things really:
- Is a crossover a good choice to enhance job prospects? I'm fully aware music was probably not the best choice of undergrad degrees, but I've definitely evolved as a musician and person over the past two years and it has been an enjoyable experience.
- Is a MA/Msc in business actually going to be at all relevant to employers, both in the world of music industries and the broader world of business, or are they just going to be looking for hands-on experience?

At the moment I'm fairly open to where and what I would like my job to consist of. Preferably within the music industry, but if not I am interested in working within business.

Thanks very much for any replies and useful information, it's much appreciated.
The short answer is yes to all your questions. A person who understands music will be much better at understanding and managing any music related business. Go for it as you will have a strong advantage over anyone without a music background and over those with a music but not a business background. Congratulations on reaching such a clear career decision so early. It is like having a cake and eat it too.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (162)
18.62%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (86)
9.89%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (145)
16.67%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (125)
14.37%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (84)
9.66%
How can I be the best version of myself? (268)
30.8%

Watched Threads