Why are we taxed on our income and not on what we own?

Watch
Jgco2chem
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I find that so many rich people escape tax by having little income but their money in shares. Income tax basically taxes the working poorer population whereas, If there it was tax on your property then then even if you have no income the millions in the bank can be taxed and this will be so much fairer. For example if you got taxed 5% of what you have the billionaire will give £50,000000.
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Jgco2chem)
I find that so many rich people escape tax by having little income but their money in shares. Income tax basically taxes the working poorer population whereas, If there it was tax on your property then then even if you have no income the millions in the bank can be taxed and this will be so much fairer. For example if you got taxed 5% of what you have the billionaire will give £50,000000.
So you haven't heard of stamp duty, capital gains tax or dividend tax?
Refuse_censor
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Why not lower the taxes and stop benefits, then it might be worthwhile for a lot of people to work.

The state is far far too big. We are effectively living under a bigger state than former Soviet communism.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Clip
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Quady)
So you haven't heard of stamp duty, capital gains tax or dividend tax?
He clearly hasn't, and doesn't want to either.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Refuse_censor)
Why not lower the taxes and stop benefits, then it might be worthwhile for a lot of people to work.

The state is far far too big. We are effectively living under a bigger state than former Soviet communism.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any evidence of that...?
hukdealz
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Enforcement obviously lol
CJKay
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
VAT..?
CurlyBen
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
So you'd like to reward those who piss their money up against the wall, rather than saving? (I realise the government do this to an extent as it is...)
Jgco2chem
Rep:
?
(Original post by Clip)
He clearly hasn't, and doesn't want to either.
No I clearly haven't, it was something that came to mind so I made a post without trying to find the answer first.
landscape2014
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Just taxation is a requirement for a stable society and the philosophy behind a particular tax has to be obvious to those who pay it (however grudgingly). The development of centralized electronic bank clearing structures and sophisticated computer systems in the last quarter of the C20th presented governments with the opportunity to introduce just taxation by using computer software that removes fractional charges automatically from the payee‘s account into the UK Treasury (first proposed by John Maynard Keynes (UK) in 1936 – 50yrs later computer technology had made its adoption feasible). A fractional rate of tax on every transaction could automatically be deposited into governments’ treasury account (collecting the tax automatically before it disappears offshore) . The same rate would apply to all money movements thus taking most from those who are benefiting most from the financial system – its adoption would enable governments to eliminate many different taxes principally income tax, VAT and business taxes (In the UK CHAPS, BACS and LINK transfer about £70 trillion, £770 billion and £110 billion each year a ½% tax would produce over £350billion/yr – half UK government expenditure for 2013). This would not be the complete answer to the question of just taxation for the self indulgence humans’ display in the profligate and wasteful use of nature’s bounty requires that future generation’s patrimony be safeguarded and that responsibility requires the use of discriminatory taxation to control consumption.
Jammy Duel
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I guess you don't realise you get taxed on things other than wages?
SnoochToTheBooch
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Why the **** should anyone get a share of what I've got stored away in my bank account just because I've loads? That's not 'fairness', that's jealousy.
Jgco2chem
Rep:
?
(Original post by SnoochToTheBooch)
Why the **** should anyone get a share of what I've got stored away in my bank account just because I've loads? That's not 'fairness', that's jealousy.
And you are GREEDY
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
And you are GREEDY
What is your net worth? (approximately)

How would your proposal impact you?

Sure its not you thats being greedy here...?
landscape2014
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by SnoochToTheBooch)
Quite right. So will you support a 0.5%tax on what you transfer from your bank account in place of income tax, VAT and business taxation?
SnoochToTheBooch
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
And you are GREEDY
Tough ****, it's MINE (hypothetically).
SnoochToTheBooch
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by landscape2014)
Quite right. So will you support a 0.5%tax on what you transfer from your bank account in place of income tax, VAT and business taxation?
I don't know. That sounds like a good deal potentially but I don't know and can't really be bothered to go digging around to find out for myself. Very tired, didn't even wake up till recently.
username91207
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
So the fact that I've managed to scrape enough money together to cover myself so that I can look for another job (my current one has caused me to be signed off for stress and anxiety) is something I should be punished for?
DJKL
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by landscape2014)
So you are taxing someone who changes bank, lending money to family. There are myriad bank movements like these every day, often a large business with multiple bank accounts will sweep up excess funds on to an overnight deposit, the money comes back down the following day, you propose taxing this at circa 260 x 0.5%, so 130% over a year.

You need to be more clear what sort of transactions give rise to this charge.
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Because it produces a very high yield.

That is why those states with the infrastructure to impose income taxes have all chosen to do so. Poll taxes, wealth taxes, import and export taxes and inheritance taxes are much older and require less infrastructure to collect but are less efficient at recovering a high proportion of the theoretical yield of the tax.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (64)
22.7%
Excited but a bit nervous (127)
45.04%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.77%
I'm really nervous (55)
19.5%

Watched Threads