The Student Room Group

Changing A levels half way

1. Say you want to change one of your AS subjects in January would it be too late?

2. And also if you want to externally study an AS subject how would someone go about asking to be entered into the exam without having to go to the lessons?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by grassntai
1. Say you want to change one of your AS subjects in January would it be too late?

2. And also if you want to externally study an AS subject how would someone go about asking to be entered into the exam without having to go to the lessons?

Posted from TSR Mobile

1) Yes January is too late, most time the cut off is late September typically.
2) Ask the exams officer.

1) yep it would be too late. You would have missed too much work

2) im not sure... your exams officer at school will know hopefully!
Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by GoldGhost
1) Yes January is too late, most time the cut off is late September typically.
2) Ask the exams officer.

1. What if you give them evidence that you have been getting private tutoring and have covered what they've covered in their lessons?
2. Do you know the cutting date of asking to be entered?
1. What if you give them evidence that you have been getting private tutoring and have covered what they've covered in their lessons?

1) Do you mean showing that you have already self studied what the class has already been taught? You can't catch up with 4 months worth of work that's almost half the AS course.
2) I think it's about 1 month before the exam date, not too sure.
Reply 5

Entry deadline at normal prices is 21 February.
Reply 6
Original post by GoldGhost
1) Do you mean showing that you have already self studied what the class has already been taught? You can't catch up with 4 months worth of work that's almost half the AS course.
2) I think it's about 1 month before the exam date, not too sure.

1. No I meant studying externally (before January when I ask) with a private tutor starting now really.
2. Ok thanks. So I just inquiry the people in my school who are in charge of exams right?
Reply 7
Original post by Compost
Entry deadline at normal prices is 21 February.

And it is possible to enter exams for subjects that you aren't studying IN school right? Do you know the price? I'm thinking of entering for Maths.
Reply 8
And it is possible to enter exams for subjects that you aren't studying IN school right? Do you know the price? I'm thinking of entering for Maths.

You can enter exams at any exam centre that will let you. For you, the simplest place would be your current school, but they may not accept you as you will appear on their results and they may not believe you will do well self teaching. The most sensible thing would be to suggest that you pay to take the exams there (prices vary a bit between exam boards but are £12-£16 per unit) but don't ask for an overall grade until you see how you do - for A level you have until 20 September to decide whether to 'cash-in' and get a grade after you see your unit results.
Reply 9
Original post by Compost
You can enter exams at any exam centre that will let you. For you, the simplest place would be your current school, but they may not accept you as you will appear on their results and they may not believe you will do well self teaching. The most sensible thing would be to suggest that you pay to take the exams there (prices vary a bit between exam boards but are £12-£16 per unit) but don't ask for an overall grade until you see how you do - for A level you have until 20 September to decide whether to 'cash-in' and get a grade after you see your unit results.

Sorry I don't understand what you mean by that? Can you explain? :confused:
If you're going to change, try to do it by end of September before its too late.
Sorry I don't understand what you mean by that? Can you explain? :confused:

To make a complete entry for an AS level, you need to enter for the different units - say C1, C2 and S1 and a request to be given an overall grade for the AS (it's an admin thing that doesn't cost if you do it with the unit entries and essentially all they do is add up your scores on the units and award you the consequent grade. It's called cashing-in.). If you enter for all those you get 3 separate results for the 3 units, plus an overall result and grade for the AS.

However, you can just enter for the exam units, wait to get the unit results, work out what overall grade that would be and then only ask for the overall grade (cash-in) if it's good enough. Depending on exam board, it may cost a bit to do this in August (only about £3.50) but if you do it before 20 September the certificate will turn up at the same time as everyone else's. It takes the risk away from both you and your school that you'll bomb. Grades that aren't cashed-in don't have to be declared to UCAS.

Quick Reply

Latest