Significance of rebirth Watch

ekhhh
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
What is the significance of anicca (rebirth) to Buddhists?? & How does it have an effect on their lives?
TSR Learn Together
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Everglow
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ekhhh)
What is the significance of anicca (rebirth) to Buddhists?? & How does it have an effect on their lives?
Anicca doesn't explicitly mean rebirth - it just means impermanence.

Rebirth means 'the continuation of consciousness' essentially and refers to the soul. One progresses through the stages of the Wheel of Samsara based on their behaviour in the current life, which is where karma comes into play. The belief in rebirth is very important to Buddhists because it affects their behaviour. One wants to accrue as much positive karma as possible so that they can come ever closer to becoming enlightened like the Buddha and entering the blissful state of mind known as nirvana. Some Buddhists say that once you reach this state, you have escaped Samsara for eternity. Others disgaree and say you can regress after becoming enlightened. But I think the crux of the answer to your question is that rebirth is a concept that shapes the way Buddhists morally behave. It provides a goal and a target to aspire for.

I hope this helps.
e aí rapaz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The issue with the notion of rebirth is that although it's a very important concept in buddhism, it's one that is very often interpreted in different ways by different people.

What we know is this. Buddhism teaches anatta - that there is no self, there is no soul. There is no "you" that passes from one body to another, so this western idea of reincarnation is often misunderstood. Buddhism also teaches the oneness of everything, including you, me and everything around us, so when our body dies, we are "reborn" through our continuation in the whole. This also explains why our karma has such a lasting effect beyond this current "life". A way of looking at it that I like is this:

“A wave in the sea, seen in one way, seems to have a distinct identity, an end and a beginning, a birth and a death. Seen in another way, the wave doesn’t really exist, but is just the behaviour of water, “empty” of any separate identity, but “full” of water. So when you really think about the wave, you come to realize that it is something that has been made temporarily possible by wind and water, and is dependent on a set of constantly changing circumstances. You also realize that every wave is related to every other wave.”
- Sogyal Rinpoche

"Enlightenment, for a wave in the ocean,
is the moment the wave realises it is water."
- Thich Nhat Hanh
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • Harper Adams University
    Animals and Veterinary Sciences Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (114)
17.48%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (69)
10.58%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (113)
17.33%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (97)
14.88%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (63)
9.66%
How can I be the best version of myself? (196)
30.06%

Watched Threads