The Student Room Group

I Want A Hipster Boyfriend - HELP :D

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Schezerade
I think you're reading into this a bit too much. I want a guy with a certain look (i.e. the one in the OP - which I have seen mostly on hipsters) and an artsy, "eccentric," quirky kind of personality.

Maybe "hipster" was the wrong word to use - but does anyone even know how to define a hipster any more? :beard:

You are right about the cynicism though, good point. I have met a few die-hard hipsters (not all) who are so cynical and "ironic" that it makes my (optimistic) self want to be slightly sick.

As I said in the OP, not my usual type :colondollar: But I'm just digging the whole "feminine" look right now. Don't ask me why :tongue:

Lesbihonest. People who have that eccentric artsy personality aren't going to look like the ones in the OP. They're just clones with no personality. They all follow each other. What you linked in the OP is just mainstream fashion. Every kid in 6th forms and colleges looks like that now

Brah. I am literally an artist. And I hate how everyone mindlessly follows these fashion trends and doesn't think for themselves and pick out their own clothes lmao. So lame.

Nothing against them though I'm sure they're cool people. :h:
Reply 81
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Long time no speak :tongue:
Not as far as I'm concerned. Went there last week to meet a friend...hipsters still around sitting on the floor strumming guitars and what not.

Man I dunno, I ain't no Cockney :p: I've been busy starting uni and working on not arguing with my girlfriend! Managed a whole week which is like a record for us :biggrin:

Also hiding until we start winning more!
Reply 82
Original post by MancBoy
Hipsters need to be shot tbh

Haha oh dear! Why do you dislike them? :lol: *gets popcorn*

RhymeAsylumForever
Yep, he always wears a beanie, a few weeks ago dyed his hair white!? Couldn't begin to describe his haircut but yeah he is a hipster pretty much

Oh my... beanies are the cutest thing on a guy. :fan:

*tries to visualise your friend in my mind* I'll keep an eye out for him XD

Black Cat
I meant pretentious as in pretending to like instruments just to attract hipsters :tongue: not that you're one of them but some people are. Who doesn't like sexy office wear, unless they're gay :colondollar:

Oh, I see what you mean, and yeah I guess some people are like that lol :tongue: I think most guys do like sexy office wear haha, but a fair few prefer a more "casual" look. Sadly I'm not really a T-shirt and jeans kind of girl :colondollar:
Reply 83
Original post by ChickenMadness
Lesbihonest. People who have that eccentric artsy personality aren't going to look like the ones in the OP. They're just clones with no personality. They all follow each other. What you linked in the OP is just mainstream fashion. Every kid in 6th forms and colleges looks like that now

Brah. I am literally an artist. And I hate how everyone mindlessly follows these fashion trends and doesn't think for themselves and pick out their own clothes lmao. So lame.

Nothing against them though I'm sure they're cool people. :h:

Interesting post, but you can be eccentric/artsy without being totally "out there." I know a few lawyers and accountants who are what I'd call "artsy", as they do stuff like DJing or photographing a lot in their spare time. I don't mean all-out and completely different, lol.
How can hipsters all look so similar? I thought the whole point of being a hipster is that you don't follow trends. I don't understand fashion.
Reply 85
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
How can hipsters all look so similar? I thought the whole point of being a hipster is that you don't follow trends. I don't understand fashion.

I don't think they do TBH. Those are just the ones I found with the kind of look I really like. Most of them are a lot "quirkier" than this (at least the ones I've seen :colondollar:)
Interesting post, but you can be eccentric/artsy without being totally "out there." I know a few lawyers and accountants who are what I'd call "artsy", as they do stuff like DJing or photographing a lot in their spare time. I don't mean all-out and completely different, lol.

rofl ye but I mean the whole thing about... The people you linked think they're different, but they're just following mainstream fashion trends and thinking they're different from everyone else. That's what hipsters are :laugh:
Reply 87
rofl ye but I mean the whole thing about... The people you linked think they're different, but they're just following mainstream fashion trends and thinking they're different from everyone else. That's what hipsters are :laugh:

What about the guy pouring milkshake? Don't you think that that's some hardcore 21st century cutting edge art right dere? :teehee:

OK, it looks pretentious, but he's still :coma:
Oh, I see what you mean, and yeah I guess some people are like that lol :tongue: I think most guys do like sexy office wear haha, but a fair few prefer a more "casual" look. Sadly I'm not really a T-shirt and jeans kind of girl :colondollar:

Same, nothing beats a nice looking blazer and shirt with brogues or a suit ofcourse :biggrin:
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Hey Zur :h: can you please tell her about Camden in general and it's nightlife? Also a little about its surrounding areas i.e- Kentish Town? At's more your scene init lol. Thanks!

Lol really? I swear it's such a funny almost 'magical' place lmao.

Best thing about Camden is that places are open later than even Shoreditch and much later than the West End. More relaxed kind of atmosphere compared to both as well, people are just there to have a piss up rather than to be seen which is nice :laugh:

One thing about Camden is that there arent that many nightclubs, compared with say Shoreditch. Proud is a fantastic joint imo though and pretty good balance of hipsterness and fun. Massive inside and has 3 or 4 separate music areas playing all different kinds(mainly house though). Electric Ballroom is cheesy as **** and does what it says on the tin, proper student joint. Koko in the other end is good for gigs but unless youre there for the music, it's full of tossers the rest of the time. Blues Bar is a jazz club which is alright, there's another one across from the tube station which is apparently good but I aint been.

Avoid the Lock area generally, full of chavs and the pubs are all **** anyway.

Camden is all about the bars. Camden Head is pretty chilled, Brazilian joint called 'Made in Brazil' does pretty cheap cocktails. Then up towards Belsize Park youve got the infamous 'Joes' which is pretty terrible but open until 4am some nights so by then its all the same really.

Kentish Town isnt really fashionable, mainly just full of 50/50 rough boozers and gastro joints. There are some pretty good ones like the Porcupine and plenty of little gastros where you can have a perfectly nice night. Actually, the Porcupine is one of the best gastro pubs in London so recommended, 15m walk from Camden high st. Avoid all the pubs on the high street, except for the Camden Head, they are all terrible in different ways. Personally I prefer a pub with a little more character, best pubs in the area are the Constitution which is on the canal and full of random locals. Smoking area is the biz. The Sheephaven Bay is an Irish place near Koko that is jokes, quiz nights on Mondays are always a laugh. Favourite pub all considered is probably the Old Eagle which is just a chilled out joint, more 30 somethings than anything. Dublin Castle is world famous for live music, madness started there, so if youre into that then you can see some up and coming live bands cheaply. Open till like 3am as well even on weeknights.

If youre into goth and metal then there's a bit of a subculture in Camden. Pub called the Devonshire Arms is 3m walk from the tube st and is always busy with these guys. Never been though.

Best pub for watching footie etc is either the Sheephaven or Quinns. Almost everyone supports Arsenal anyway in every pub! :wink:

All kinds of places to eat but I can never remember the names. Nice little tapas place on Parkway, Made in Brazil I already mentioned does really great value food, Greek place on Camden St is class. There's a Wagamama if you want something more solid. Loads and loads of little places in the market selling food from everywhere and that's good during the day. Best late night takeaway is the little window beside the tube station. If you really wanted to eat like posh then wander up to Belsize Park and you wont be able to move for pricey little bistros but I never really bothered. Avoid the KFC cause that was literally crawling with rats a few years ago :laugh:

If youre into posh beers and real ale then 'Tapping the Admiral' is award winning. Also a Belgo which is ridiculous pricey serving Belgian beers and Quinns normally have a great bottled selection, which is handy since their draught beer tastes like piss!

There's not much reason to venture up to Kentish Town late tbh, and the place is full of scumbags late at night too fyi. Buses to Camden are unbelievable N5 will have you in Trafalgar Square in about 10 minutes so there's always that as well! If you find yourself at 2am considering heading away from Camden to Kentish Town then stop and go in the opposite direction basically :laugh:

Not to far away is the 'Boogaloo' up in Archway which you can get a few nightbuses to. Fantastic bar, absolutely fantastic. Very music orientated but you really get an interesting crowd and atmosphere. Better than anywhere in Camden but Archway is rough, very rough, so watch it after a few shandies.
(edited 9 years ago)
What about the guy pouring milkshake? Don't you think that that's some hardcore 21st century cutting edge art right dere? :teehee:

OK, it looks pretentious, but he's still :coma:

I think they all look stereotypically homosex personally lol. And I find that type of art quite ridiculous :redface: But I respect your opinion :hat:
Reply 91
Original post by Black Cat
Same, nothing beats a nice looking blazer and shirt with brogues or a suit ofcourse :biggrin:

Suits > everything :fan: :coma:

Reply 92
I think they all look stereotypically homosex personally lol. And I find that type of art quite ridiculous :redface: But I respect your opinion :hat:

It's the way he's drinking from that milk carton, isn't it? :lol:

It's the way he's drinking from that milk carton, isn't it? :lol:

It's the way he has his legs so close together like he doesn't have a set of balls or a penis lmao.

Damn the girl is hot though :O

Thanks. I didn't mean super skinny guys, or even particularly skinny ones. Just not muscular/built ones like I usually prefer (going for something different lol). So slim to slightly muscular, I guess.

Will try Camden bars :yep: :biggrin: How do I even pick up one of those guys, though? I'm not quirky or eccentric. I am fairly attractive, but in the standard, stereotypical way. I'm not exactly a Hayley Williams or Zooey Deschanel, one of those manic pixie dream girl types lol.
ah..yeh Ive been told I put the HIP in hipster:cool:

but yeh theres loads of those lads around the shop..be easy to find one
if youre a little lost head to a kodaline concert ...link below..
Original post by Jaz_A
Umm having similar interests might help. Are you into alternate music?

[video="youtube;E4povfmX144"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4povfmX144[/video]
Reply 97
Original post by Zürich
Best thing about Camden is that places are open later than even Shoreditch and much later than the West End. More relaxed kind of atmosphere compared to both as well, people are just there to have a piss up rather than to be seen which is nice :laugh:

Ah, man, this is such a good post! Thanks :biggrin: I'll + rep as soon as I recharge tomorrow :yep:

One thing about Camden is that there arent that many nightclubs, compared with say Shoreditch. Proud is a fantastic joint imo though and pretty good balance of hipsterness and fun. Massive inside and has 3 or 4 separate music areas playing all different kinds(mainly house though). Electric Ballroom is cheesy as **** and does what it says on the tin, proper student joint. Koko in the other end is good for gigs but unless youre there for the music, it's full of tossers the rest of the time. Blues Bar is a jazz club which is alright, there's another one across from the tube station which is apparently good but I aint been.

Thanks :smile: I'll try those clubs out, definitely! I presume there are a lot of gigs going on in Camden, lol? :smile:

Avoid the Lock area generally, full of chavs and the pubs are all **** anyway.

Ah, I thought it was really pretty from the pictures! Maybe more of a place to go round in the daytime than for a night out, though :s-smilie:

Camden is all about the bars. Camden Head is pretty chilled, Brazilian joint called 'Made in Brazil' does pretty cheap cocktails. Then up towards Belsize Park youve got the infamous 'Joes' which is pretty terrible but open until 4am some nights so by then its all the same really.

Kentish Town isnt really fashionable, mainly just full of 50/50 rough boozers and gastro joints. There are some pretty good ones like the Porcupine and plenty of little gastros where you can have a perfectly nice night. Actually, the Porcupine is one of the best gastro pubs in London so recommended, 15m walk from Camden high st. Avoid all the pubs on the high street, except for the Camden Head, they are all terrible in different ways. Personally I prefer a pub with a little more character, best pubs in the area are the Constitution which is on the canal and full of random locals. Smoking area is the biz. The Sheephaven Bay is an Irish place near Koko that is jokes, quiz nights on Mondays are always a laugh. Favourite pub all considered is probably the Old Eagle which is just a chilled out joint, more 30 somethings than anything. Dublin Castle is world famous for live music, madness started there, so if youre into that then you can see some up and coming live bands cheaply. Open till like 3am as well even on weeknights.

Best pub for watching footie etc is either the Sheephaven or Quinns.

Yep, it seems like the bar game in Camden is pretty high :yep: So many pubs too! Dublin Castle sounds amazing, defo gonna try and pop down there ASAP :gah:

Always love a spot of footie :thumbsup:

All kinds of places to eat but I can never remember the names. Nice little tapas place on Parkway, Made in Brazil I already mentioned does really great value food, Greek place on Camden St is class. There's a Wagamama if you want something more solid. Loads and loads of little places in the market selling food from everywhere and that's good during the day. Best late night takeaway is the little window beside the tube station. If you really wanted to eat like posh then wander up to Belsize Park and you wont be able to move for pricey little bistros but I never really bothered. Avoid the KFC cause that was literally crawling with rats a few years ago :laugh:

If youre into posh beers and real ale then 'Tapping the Admiral' is award winning. Also a Belgo which is ridiculous pricey serving Belgian beers and Quinns normally have a great bottled selection, which is handy since their draught beer tastes like piss!

Tapas are good, Wagamama is one of my faves too :biggrin: Besides the tube station could be convenient! I'm not going to live in Camden, so I'll be using that a lot if I go down there for a night out, lol. Eugh, thanks for the warning about the KFC :zomg: :eek:

Gonna have to get down to "Tapping the Admiral" at some point, I love posh beers! :smile:

There's not much reason to venture up to Kentish Town late tbh, and the place is full of scumbags late at night too fyi. Buses to Camden are unbelieveable N5 will have you in Trafalgar Square in about 10 minutes so there's always that as well!

Not to far away is the 'Boogaloo' up in Archway which you can get a few nightbuses to. Fantastic bar, absolutely fantastic. Very music orientated but you really get an interesting crowd and atmosphere. Better than anywhere in Camden but Archway is rough, very rough, so watch it after a few shandies.

That's grand :biggrin: I'm guessing I'd have to catch a night bus home after the Tube shut, if I didn't want to take a taxi?

Archway sounds fun but a bit dangerous :eek: How rough are we talking?

Btw (a bit off topic) if I'm going to places in areas like these, what do girls usually wear for nights out? I don't always go to "posh" nightclubs, but always fairly generic ones, where it's stuff like bodycon dresses, tiny handbags and high heels or strappy heeled sandals. It's very "conventional," but would it get me some odd looks in a place like Camden? Should I just stick to stuff like faux leather jackets and jeans instead?

That's grand :biggrin: I'm guessing I'd have to catch a night bus home after the Tube shut, if I didn't want to take a taxi?

Archway sounds fun but a bit dangerous :eek: How rough are we talking?

Btw (a bit off topic) if I'm going to places in areas like these, what do girls usually wear for nights out? I don't always go to "posh" nightclubs, but always fairly generic ones, where it's stuff like bodycon dresses, tiny handbags and high heels or strappy heeled sandals. It's very "conventional," but would it get me some odd looks in a place like Camden? Should I just stick to stuff like faux leather jackets and jeans instead?

Uber taxi app is cheap as chips really, you'd need to be going miles to get a fare over £15. Camden to central London would be maybe £8 :smile:

Yea Archway is rough tbh, I should know I grew up around there! Plenty of dodgy estates in the area that is a breeding ground for scum. Nightlife is 70% rough old Irish pubs full of nutcases rambling on about god knows what :laugh: I mean, I watch the football in these joints often enough but there is absolutely no reason to go to Archway to see them! The other 30% is pretty hipster alright like the boogaloo which I mentioned and a few joints in and around Tufnell Park tube.

Saying that, Ive never had any serious issues around Archway but if you dont know the area I wouldnt want to be stagerring around bus-stops pissed at 2am :laugh:

In general Camden is not rough because it's so busy but there's just no reason to head further North late at night as youre getting close to areas which are dodgy.

Clothes like that would be absolutely find for Camden. It has a rep for being goth but that's strictly in certain places. Any of the bars/clubs Ive mentioned you'd look the part! :smile: Its not as hipster as Shoreditch/East in general so people just dress in normal high st stuff most of the time.
(edited 9 years ago)

Oh my... beanies are the cutest thing on a guy. :fan:

*tries to visualise your friend in my mind* I'll keep an eye out for him XD

Haha kk, Camden is a sick area to be at though. Nightlife is amazing

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest