The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
donfather
I really want to come to Leeds uni, its seems so amazin. and it looks such a lush uni, and everyone having their freshers week, a party evry nite of the week.

Greetings donfather.

You on about this year or next year?

Leeds met or Leeds uni?

Everywere has freshers.

I guess that's irrelevant, Leeds is an immense city, so many different places to go!

Loves it.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Yer kiddo, Leeds is sound, Lid.
Freasher's week is amazing in leeds though guess that would be the same everywhere..

Really depends what you want to do..

Leeds is great though, Newcastle has one of the best night life in the country
Depends on why you want to come here. You want to party? Definately. You want culture, a wide range of people and to be amongst some of the most talented people in your field? Go London, stay the hell away from here.
By the way, when I mean wide range of people I don't mean multicultural. Leeds is pretty damn multicultural. But you'll soon find that the people here are all the same, they fit so snugly into categories. Well, I guess you can't help it if you're from some small town outside of Wigan, you're probably going to be an emo. No matter what. Hardcore. Or if it's a case of small town outside Manchester, you'll probably be one of the most rough and ignorant students to have ever made it to a uni. The people here are so samey it's a joke.
Reply 5
Drowned World
Depends on why you want to come here. You want to party? Definately. You want culture, a wide range of people and to be amongst some of the most talented people in your field? Go London, stay the hell away from here.

:confused: It's a very strange world view you're putting forward there, drownedworld.

Is your beef with the city or the univesity? In either case, I can't see how you can justify your comments. Obviously, a provincial city with a population of around 700,000 people can't possibly compete with a world city of at least 7 million in any of the departments you refer to. London is one of the world's premier financial and cultural centres after all. Judged on its own terms, Leeds is pretty good for culture with the West Yorkshire Playhouse, Opera North and Northern Ballet all highly regarded nationally. Leeds also has a lot going on both within the city and the local area, as you discover when you read Yorkshire Word or Northern Exposure.

If you mean students, Leeds students seem to be a pretty diverse bunch of people by all accounts, not only in terms of social class but also places of origin. Leeds' academic ranking is not the highest in the country, not as high as UCL for example, but surely everyone is aware of that before they go there and it's still a good university.

I really hope you change your mind and end up loving it. You might enjoy it more however if you take a more tolerant view of the people around you. :wink:
Gissing

I really hope you change your mind and end up loving it. You might enjoy it more however if you take a more tolerant view of the people around you. :wink:

I think it's the people around me who should be more tolerant. The people I have ended up sharing a flat with are some of the most ignorant people I have ever met. They are either hardcore emos who cannot see life any other way, or they are some small town girl from the outskirts of Manchester who cannot tolerate homosexuality, non-British food, or music that isn't two step garage. And who insists on bringing down her equally rough friends every weekend, who can't get drunk without starting trouble.
And this is coming from a block of flats dedicated to Leeds' premiere art college. Art my arse, these people wouldn't know the difference between the Mona Lisa and the Louvre. One's a painting and the other's a museum, in case they're reading this.
The standard of work at where I'm studying is truly appalling, and I can see why judging by some of the narrow minded people who attend. I honestly thought sacrificing a good university in London for a real university experience outside of the city would be the right way to go. I thought I would meet more talented and mature people than I had in London, being in higher education and everything. How wrong I was. I feel like I've gone 3 steps backwards and de-evolved being here.
You'll notice when you come to Leeds that everyone here is 'alternative'. As in, everyone here is the same kinda 'alternative'. They're all from some small town where they were told that they are ultra talented, and now they've stepped out into the big, wide world of...Leeds. They will not budge from their emo/grungy/garage/electro stance. Like we did back in London when we were 16, but we stopped the childish label thing and grew up. And we also made sure that before applying for a degree in what we're studying, we knew the basics of our field. It's the sheer arrogance of some people mixed with their blatant ignorance at the wider world that grates.
Oh, and I also took a trip out of the town centre for the first time today, and got stared down by strangers like I was an alien. I don't know whether it was because I am an ethnic minority, or because they just like to stare.
I hope I do grow to love Leeds, for the sake of me completing my degree. I was never one of those 'there's no life outside of London' people, but coming here has made me realise that there is a life outside of London, but not a richer life than one you can have in London.
Reply 7
Drowned World
It's the sheer arrogance of some people mixed with their blatant ignorance at the wider world that grates.

Indeed.
Reply 8
Leeds is MINT. I went for a day yesterday to check it out.. its amazing. the sun was out. got the city bus from the station, up to the unis, took a walk then went down to the city centre. i love it. i will be there next year... i mean, hopefully.
Reply 9
Drowned World
I think it's the people around me who should be more tolerant. *insert intolerant, arrogant rant about how no-one's the way I was expecting them to be*

:rolleyes:
Reply 10
Leeds is awesome
Reply 11
i live in leeds my self born here, the town is ok, nightlife is very good here, shopping place even better lol and i have heard leeds met is the best uni in england! i am hoping to go there next year
doodygirl
i live in leeds my self born here, the town is ok, nightlife is very good here, shopping place even better lol and i have heard leeds met is the best uni in england! i am hoping to go there next year

erm....I have to seriously disagree with you on that!
Leeds Met is okay, but it's certainly not the best uni in england! Where on earth did you "hear" that?!
Leeds Met is only a former polytechnic you know....Leeds uni itself is better.
You can't possibly be from Leeds and think that Leeds Met is the best uni in england.

Plus, haven't you heard of oxbridge? I should say those are the best unis in England.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with Leeds Met, but I seriously think you're overestimating it!
Drowned World
I think it's the people around me who should be more tolerant. The people I have ended up sharing a flat with are some of the most ignorant people I have ever met. They are either hardcore emos who cannot see life any other way, or they are some small town girl from the outskirts of Manchester who cannot tolerate homosexuality, non-British food, or music that isn't two step garage. And who insists on bringing down her equally rough friends every weekend, who can't get drunk without starting trouble.
And this is coming from a block of flats dedicated to Leeds' premiere art college. Art my arse, these people wouldn't know the difference between the Mona Lisa and the Louvre. One's a painting and the other's a museum, in case they're reading this.
The standard of work at where I'm studying is truly appalling, and I can see why judging by some of the narrow minded people who attend. I honestly thought sacrificing a good university in London for a real university experience outside of the city would be the right way to go. I thought I would meet more talented and mature people than I had in London, being in higher education and everything. How wrong I was. I feel like I've gone 3 steps backwards and de-evolved being here.
You'll notice when you come to Leeds that everyone here is 'alternative'. As in, everyone here is the same kinda 'alternative'. They're all from some small town where they were told that they are ultra talented, and now they've stepped out into the big, wide world of...Leeds. They will not budge from their emo/grungy/garage/electro stance. Like we did back in London when we were 16, but we stopped the childish label thing and grew up. And we also made sure that before applying for a degree in what we're studying, we knew the basics of our field. It's the sheer arrogance of some people mixed with their blatant ignorance at the wider world that grates.
Oh, and I also took a trip out of the town centre for the first time today, and got stared down by strangers like I was an alien. I don't know whether it was because I am an ethnic minority, or because they just like to stare.
I hope I do grow to love Leeds, for the sake of me completing my degree. I was never one of those 'there's no life outside of London' people, but coming here has made me realise that there is a life outside of London, but not a richer life than one you can have in London.

you know what? If you hate Leeds so much, then leave!
We don't need people here with attitudes like this!
I would never dream of going to London and start bitching about how horrible the people are there.
I guess that means I, as someone who lives in Leeds, clearly have more manners than you.
I suggest you grow up.
Reply 14
just heard it was one of the best i wouldnt know my self has i dont go there

XenaGlamRocker
erm....I have to seriously disagree with you on that!
Leeds Met is okay, but it's certainly not the best uni in england! Where on earth did you "hear" that?!
Leeds Met is only a former polytechnic you know....Leeds uni itself is better.
You can't possibly be from Leeds and think that Leeds Met is the best uni in england.

Plus, haven't you heard of oxbridge? I should say those are the best unis in England.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with Leeds Met, but I seriously think you're overestimating it!
Reply 15
haha leeds met one of the best unis!! lool true wut sumone sed...you obviously dont live in leeds to be able to say that.
btw does anyone know wut the 'met' actually signifies? i mean u get leeds...then leeds met, london unis...then london met....manchester then manchester met etc, basically are they trying to say they're a slightly lower-hand version of the main city unis?
never understood this...also if you get a degree from a met uni, is it any worse than a degree from a 'normal' uni?
xx
zazjaz
haha leeds met one of the best unis!! lool true wut sumone sed...you obviously dont live in leeds to be able to say that.
btw does anyone know wut the 'met' actually signifies? i mean u get leeds...then leeds met, london unis...then london met....manchester then manchester met etc, basically are they trying to say they're a slightly lower-hand version of the main city unis?
never understood this...also if you get a degree from a met uni, is it any worse than a degree from a 'normal' uni?
xx

Metropolitan Universities are renamed polytechnics , after they all got University status in 1992:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polytechnic#United_Kingdom

Wikipedia
Many British polytechnics changed their name when they gained university status. Some simply dropped "Polytechnic" and added "University" to their titles, however this was often not possible as there was another University with the name. In these cases by far the most popular choice of title was "Metropolitan", not least because there is a phonic similarity to Polytechnic in the word, but more likely because the institution was situated in a city or other large metropolitan area. Examples are Manchester Metropolitan University and Leeds Metropolitan University. These titles are often shortened to "Met" (Man Met, Leeds Met) or an acronym (MMU, LMU).

Latest