tlunn223
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey all,

I'm applying to IR at 4 schools and PPE at 1. The one where I applying for PPE doesn't have an IR programme or anything quite similar. Is it acceptable to write a PS for this? I definitely talk about IR somewhat but I include politics, economics, and philosophy seeing as my IR programmes pretty multi-disciplinary in the social sciences. That said, would it hurt my application to either IR or PPE to do this? Am I better just applying for IR?

Thanks!
ByronicHero
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It is going to be easier to write a PS for only IR courses, but due to the similarity of the subjects writing an appropriate statement is certainly possible. Really it comes down to execution. I would make sure, though, that your statement reads as an IR statement for the most part,
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by tlunn223)
Hey all,

I'm applying to IR at 4 schools and PPE at 1. The one where I applying for PPE doesn't have an IR programme or anything quite similar. Is it acceptable to write a PS for this? I definitely talk about IR somewhat but I include politics, economics, and philosophy seeing as my IR programmes pretty multi-disciplinary in the social sciences. That said, would it hurt my application to either IR or PPE to do this? Am I better just applying for IR?

Thanks!
The best situation is to apply to only one course and write a focused ps for it. In this case as IR covers aspects of PPE you might get away with it if you write it very carefully without mentioning names of courses and linking all subjects together well.

Quote if you want a reply!
BSc Biochemistry University of York
Working towards a PhD at Queen Mary University of London
tlunn223
Rep:
?
(Original post by alleycat393)
The best situation is to apply to only one course and write a focused ps for it. In this case as IR covers aspects of PPE you might get away with it if you write it very carefully without mentioning names of courses and linking all subjects together well.

Quote if you want a reply!
BSc Biochemistry University of York
Working towards a PhD at Queen Mary University of London
Thank you both so much! I've essentially detailed that my main areas of interest are politics and IR taking 50% of that area, with philosophy and economics together maybe taking 50% of that area. Should I get rid of the phrase "international relations?" I'm afraid it will hurt the PPE to leave it in, but would hurt the IR to take it out. I only use it two or three times in an effort to conserve characters. Thanks again!
alleycat393
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The phrase is fine I think if you've only used it 2-3 times. Good luck!
tlunn223
Rep:
?
(Original post by alleycat393)
The phrase is fine I think if you've only used it 2-3 times. Good luck!
But it won't hurt my IR ones to only have mentioned it a couple times? I've given examples of politics that are rather clearly IR, but still.
alleycat393
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
As you've said before IR courses are quite broad and cover aspects of politics and economics. The course structures should give you and idea of how much. So no you should be fine.
ByronicHero
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You're welcome.

You'll be fine.

Good luck.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (279)
34.02%
No (541)
65.98%

Watched Threads