The Student Room Group

Advice on using abbreviation please? e.g. I'm, I'd, we're, it's etc.

The title pretty much sums it up.
I'd like to know how much the admission tutors, how should I put it, 'tolerate' the usage of mentioned abbreviations such as it's, instead of it is, and I'd, instead of I had​.
Original post by Pilz
The title pretty much sums it up.
I'd like to know how much the admission tutors, how should I put it, 'tolerate' the usage of mentioned abbreviations such as it's, instead of it is, and I'd, instead of I had​.

So far I have left them out of mine, although I feel that it makes some sentences sound stiff.
Reply 2
The PS is quite formal so erring towards not using contractions is preferred.
Yeah it's a formal document. Think of it like a job application - would you use abbreviations on the form?
They won't penalise you for it but as it's a formal document I'd suggest you don't use abbreviations.

Quote if you want a reply!
BSc Biochemistry University of York
Working towards a PhD at Queen Mary University of London
Reply 5
I understand it's a formal document, but my concern is that I won't really sound like myself in my writing. Also, I want to cut down on the characters for other parts of my PS
Understandable but in any formal piece of writing you don't use colloquialisms and you certainly don't write as you would speak. Talking about some of your interests outside of your school work will give admissions tutors an idea of what you're like as a person (though remember to keep the focus on relevant transferable skills), not using abbreviations!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending