The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Liv Tyler is the Visa girl, and mastercard doesnt have a 'girl'? I will make it my mission in life to be the mastercard girl. :tongue:
ruthiepoothie
Is there a difference between Mastercard and Visa- is one better than the other?
:confused:
Ruthie
xxxx

They are different, as they are run by different companies (i assume).
I think that Visa is more widely accepted than Mastercard, although i may be wrong, but there is very little difference in what they actually do.
Everdawn
Liv Tyler is the Visa girl, and mastercard doesnt have a 'girl'? I will make it my mission in life to be the mastercard girl. :tongue:

that is the only difference???
:confused: :eek:
Iluvatar
They are different, as they are run by different companies (i assume).
I think that Visa is more widely accepted than Mastercard, although i may be wrong, but there is very little difference in what they actually do.

cool, so it doesn't really matter which i get as i am unlikely to use it abroad......so would the acceptance be pretty similar in the uk??
Reply 5
I reckon so, im not aces at whats on the cards, only spending. :redface:
ruthiepoothie
cool, so it doesn't really matter which i get as i am unlikely to use it abroad......so would the acceptance be pretty similar in the uk??

Yeah.
Usually places accept both of them, so there shouldn't be a problem.
Reply 7
OOO mine's a mastercard! ANd it has a little map of the world on it :biggrin:
Iluvatar
Yeah.
Usually places accept both of them, so there shouldn't be a problem.

oh goody!!
:wink:
i won't have any problems spending money then :rolleyes:
ruthiepoothie
oh goody!!
:wink:
i won't have any problems spending money then :rolleyes:

Yeah, but paying it back is alot harder :biggrin: :wink:
Iluvatar
Yeah, but paying it back is alot harder :biggrin: :wink:

I know, I'm only joking....
I am gonna pay it back every month....just sometimes there is a delay before i get paid so i need something to tide me over...at the moment i have to go overdrawn which is rubbish as i have to pay interest...whereas credit card will be interest free the way i will be using it!!
:biggrin:
Reply 11
ruthiepoothie
Is there a difference between Mastercard and Visa- is one better than the other?
Ruthie
xxxx

In most of the developed world both are equally widely accepted. I read somewhere that Visa required the merchant to pass certain tests before being allowed to take Visa, and these tests are more tight than the Mastercard equivilant. That might be bull tho.

If you get Visa you get a hologram of a dove in flight. If you get Mastercard you get a hologram of the world... that will prob be the only difference you notice.
Reply 12
ruthiepoothie
Ruthie
xxxx

There are no significant practical differences between a Mastercard and a Visa. Mastercard and Visa are the names of the global companies who manage credit cards, co-ordinating payment systems and keeping track of transactions. They are both internationally recognised, so your card should be accepted in most of the places you’re likely to visit.
visa sounds better cos i said so
Reply 14
Trousers
There are no significant practical differences between a Mastercard and a Visa. Mastercard and Visa are the names of the global companies who manage credit cards, co-ordinating payment systems and keeping track of transactions. They are both internationally recognised, so your card should be accepted in most of the places you’re likely to visit.

I agree. Many companies have both eg barclay card issue both visa and mastercard
ruthiepoothie
Ruthie
xxxx

I remember as a small child I used to see stickers in shop windows saying that Visa and Access cards were accepted, with the odd American Express one. Although I remember other card stickers, Visa and Access were the two main ones.

In recent years I have seen shops with their main credit card stickers being Visa and Mastercard; Access is no more. Although Visa and Mastercard are widely accepted, this must mean something. I prefer Visa myself.
Reply 16
i am a masterczrd and switch person myself. anywhere that takes mastercard, also takes visa, so no problems there. visa also do debit cards though (visa delta), which confuses me a little, but hey. whatever you get, make sure that your bank say you can use it abroad, as whiole the rates are quite high... could be a lifesaver if youre stranded somewhere. my card has those maestro and cirrus logos on - so its ok to use abroad.
where did access go? "your flexible friend", i used to like those adverts.

Latest

Trending

Trending