Nelson Thornes AS Physics... Watch

Barbarian King
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Is this better than the AS AQA CGP Physics book?
Barbarian King
Rep:
?
(Original post by AlphaNick)
which CGP book? the revision guide or the student book? the CGP student book is better
I have the revision guide.
Barbarian King
Rep:
?
burn it
:O
Why?!

Nelson Thornes + CGP + Book given by school + Past papers = A?
Barbarian King
Rep:
?
maybe at GCSE but hell no, definitely not at a-level lmao
Why whats wrong with Nelson Thornes?!
Barbarian King
Rep:
?
Nothing really, it's just that you're going to need to develop your own understanding instead of hoping that the textbook/revision guide and past papers are sufficient.
I do not really understand what you mean by that :/
Barbarian King
Rep:
?
-_-
Well, you said that I have to develop my own understanding of the topic, so far I understand everything fine.
Barbarian King
Rep:
?
dont say i did not warn you
What do I need then :O
Barbarian King
Rep:
?
it's a worthwhile investment, ask your parents
My parents will never let me buy all that :/

Also have you done A levels yet? What information do they have that the CGP revision guides lack?!
Uosaf
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Pshh,

I barely used the nelson thornes book (except for in class). I made notes from the CGP AS revision guide (the thick purple one) and used them to revise. + I did as many past papers as I could find.

I got an A at AS, 92%.
Barbarian King
Rep:
?
(Original post by Uosaf)
Pshh,

I barely used the nelson thornes book (except for in class). I made notes from the CGP AS revision guide (the thick purple one) and used them to revise. + I did as many past papers as I could find.

I got an A at AS, 92%.
My friend has already printed out all of the Unit 1 AS Physics past papers LOL

We are going to do all the past papers together!

He got 6A*s, 3As and a B doing all the GCSE past papers, he REVISED EVERY PAST PAPER, man if I did that I would have achieved more than 2A*s.

Anyway yeah I will not repeat the same mistake again, past papers are one of the best things to do.
Uosaf
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Zain Amin)
My friend has already printed out all of the Unit 1 AS Physics past papers LOL

We are going to do all the past papers together!

He got 6A*s, 3As and a B doing all the GCSE past papers, he REVISED EVERY PAST PAPER, man if I did that I would have achieved more than 2A*s.

Anyway yeah I will not repeat the same mistake again, past papers are one of the best things to do.
Tbh, I left all the past papers until 2 months before my exams started.
As I don't see the point of doing full past papers until you have fully finished your spec. (Or unit spec)
However, my teachers would give us a pack of past exam question every time we finished a topic and those questions would just be on that topic. Which did help.

Just make sure you understand the concepts and topics you learn in class. Ask your teacher any questions if you're unsure about anything, otherwise revising notes and doing past papers becomes pointless at A level.
Barbarian King
Rep:
?
There's a difference between getting 92% and 100% ums, if you want to waste your potential as a well educated british teenager by praying that cgp does the work for you, go ahead, but what I'm doing is aiming for top universities and for full UMS, because why not?
I want to do Medicine.

Manchester, Liverpool and Sheffield are not really concerned about UMS, I need 5As at AS.
Uosaf
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There's a difference between getting 92% and 100% ums, if you want to waste your potential as a well educated british teenager by praying that cgp does the work for you, go ahead, but what I'm doing is aiming for top universities and for full UMS, because why not?

LOOOOOOL, Go ahead. He was asking if they were good, and tbh getting an A is good. Its the best grade at AS.

He wants to do medicine, so do I. The only 2 medical schools that look at UMS are Cambridge and UCL, neither which I am thinking of applying to. Even if I was, my overall UMS in my 3 most relevant subjects would be good enough to be a competitive applicant, as the average UMS of a person with an offer from cambridge is around 95%.

Getting 4 As is wasting potential? lmao okay.

If you want to get full UMS, go ahead. But i'm pretty sure if the OP got an A and 90%+ UMS in AS physics, he would be very pleased.
Barbarian King
Rep:
?
Says who? And even then YOU need to be concerned about ums, 5 As wont be handed out to you just like that... And even then, why try to revise as little as possible? Revising as hard as you can right now will prepare you for medicine in many ways, it will ensure you get the grades you're capable of. CGP books will get you nowhere.
I made notes on the heart and circulation today using some old AS oxford bio book the teachers gave me, class notes, and the CGP revision guide.

I am making mind maps for every topic.
Barbarian King
Rep:
?
(Original post by Uosaf)
LOOOOOOL, Go ahead. He was asking if they were good, and tbh getting an A is good. Its the best grade at AS.

He wants to do medicine, so do I. The only 2 medical schools that look at UMS are Cambridge and UCL, neither which I am thinking of applying to. Even if I was, my overall UMS in my 3 most relevant subjects would be good enough to be a competitive applicant, as the average UMS of a person with an offer from cambridge is around 95%.

Getting 4 As is wasting potential? lmao okay.

If you want to get full UMS, go ahead. But i'm pretty sure if the OP got an A and 90%+ UMS in AS physics, he would be very pleased.
Indeed
Barbarian King
Rep:
?
Anyway you got 11A*s and an A.

I only got 2A*s and 8As.

So you will manage.
Barbarian King
Rep:
?
Well I wish you all the luck in the world doing medicine if your enthusiasm and attention span for the subject is limited to memorising CGP books.
Honestly whats wrong with the CGP guides?

How is the Nelson Thornes book bad? It has basically everything we need to know!
Barbarian King
Rep:
?
Hardly, the Nelson Thornes book is not written by the exam board it is simply endorsed, meaning that AQA think it suits the exam well. However this does not mean that it is the perfect thing for the exam, the CGP guides are horribly lacking in detail, the Nelson Thornes books don't go into sufficient depth and they don't teach you the skills you need to do well - anyone who says "oh i revised x weeks before just with the CGP guide" obviously had good teaching - it's called an A-level for a reason - ADVANCED level, you can't just get away with memorising a textbook, you need to develop your own understanding. Look at a past paper, half of the questions you'll get aren't answered in the textbook - for example "What are the decay products of a K+ meson?" - the textbook doesn't say, you have to deduce it, and the only way you can is to develop your own understanding, since any good teacher will tell you the quark composition of a K+ meson and explain what happens, something that doesn't occur in the book. If you think that the Nelson Thornes book, CGP book and past papers will get you full UMS, you're wrong.
So even if I have teacher notes, I can't get full UMS?
Barbarian King
Rep:
?
depends if you get lucky, but 9/10 times no... you're not spoonfed everything like at GCSE
So you are saying there's a 9/10 chance of getting 100 UMS with the Oxford books?
scrlk
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Get the Oxford University Press textbooks for the sciences followed by a series corresponding to the exam board, I think these are better than Nelson Thornes' as they have one corresponding for each exam.
Since the Oxford Press books are 'general' textbooks not designed for a specific board, how easy is it for you to find relevant content?

I see the 1st ed. has better reviews than the 2nd ed. despite having the same content.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (42)
13.68%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (26)
8.47%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (61)
19.87%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (44)
14.33%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (36)
11.73%
How can I be the best version of myself? (98)
31.92%

Watched Threads