Is the grand tourer class/segment dying? Watch

hsv
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Is the grand tourer class dying? With the stopping of production of the Jaguar XK/XKR/XKR-S in July and no word yet on a replacement, the only other grand tourers in the same price range I can think of are the Maserati Gran Turismo and BMW 6 series and possibly a Mercedes SL (though are convertibles with hard roofs grand tourers in the traditional sense?). Does this mean the grand tourer at the Jaguar XKR price point is dying and you have to spend more on a Aston Martin DB9 or Bentley Continental GT to get the grand tourer experience? Is the whole class/segment withering away not relevant anymore?

Posted from TSR Mobile
JC.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Every other car on the road is a ****box hatchback.

Most people buy crap cars. Fact.
dhr90
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Isn't the F-type a similar class/price to the XKR?
hsv
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by dhr90)
Isn't the F-type a similar class/price to the XKR?
Some motor industry commentators/media have said the F Type is more of a sports car compared to the XKR, in the F Type you sit further back in the car and it has two seats only even in the F Type Coupe I believe though I may be mistaken. See the autocar video XK Dynamic R v F Type Coupe R video and the article see here http://m.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-...f-type-r-coupe

Posted from TSR Mobile
dhr90
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by hsv)
Some motor industry commentators/media have said the F Type is more of a sports car compared to the XKR, in the F Type you sit further back in the car and it has two seats only even in the F Type Coupe I believe though I may be mistaken. See the autocar video XK Dynamic R v F Type Coupe R video and the article see here http://m.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-...f-type-r-coupe

Posted from TSR Mobile
Fair point. I guess people want that power and performance, but with the practicality of a saloon (M5 etc), or they want a full on sports car (F-Type). Those who could afford the XKR may well be able to afford the saloon and sports car now and so don't have to put up with just one car.
Alfissti
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
There isn't much of a demand for GTs, as a sports car they tend to be too heavy and bulky and as an everyday car it tends to be too cramped and impractical.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (363)
59.12%
Yes- I don't like it (33)
5.37%
No- I want it (174)
28.34%
No- I don't want it (44)
7.17%

Watched Threads