Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    JJ, making money off chavs. (Or was that your gf?)
    Nah thats my girlfriends family. My family makes your Virgin trains and Plaxton buses amoungst other things, we are jobbers.

ReputationRep:
    ok say I have £200 whats the best way to make about 10% growth on it in a year. Is this impossible to do safely?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    Nah thats my girlfriends family. My family makes your Virgin trains and Plaxton buses amoungst other things, we are jobbers.
    Your family own Plaxton coachbuilders? I travel on them all the time, Stagecoach order a huge bulk of them in 1996 based on volvo chasis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    ok say I have £200 whats the best way to make about 10% growth on it in a year. Is this impossible to do safely?
    Live a little Trade. I'll teach you how to gamble. I can make you a 100% return at least.

ReputationRep:
    Your family own Plaxton coachbuilders? I travel on them all the time, Stagecoach order a huge bulk of them in 1996 based on volvo chasis.
    No, we make parts for them. Although they are going bust so we won't be much longer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    No, we make parts for them. Although they are going bust so we won't be much longer.
    Yeah that dosn't suprise me, all the news buses seem to be ELC, (east lancs coachbuilders) and Alaxander these days.

Its a shame though as they made very good quality buses.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that dosn't suprise me, all the news buses seem to be ELC, (east lancs coachbuilders) and Alaxander these days.

Its a shame though as they made very good quality buses.
    In your area maybe but Plaxton have masses of contracts all over the country. They are also our second biggest customer... dum dum. Oh dear.

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of putting a grand or two in Man Utd - am I right in thinking it'll quickly boost after they win the FA cup?

Even if it doesn't, more sensible than last year when I put half my student loan on TATU winning the Eurovision song contest for Russia... :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    I'm thinking of putting a grand or two in Man Utd - am I right in thinking it'll quickly boost after they win the FA cup?

Even if it doesn't, more sensible than last year when I put half my student loan on TATU winning the Eurovision song contest for Russia... :eek:
    You are very unwise with your gambling. I suggest you do not do anymore unless you have a tip from someone who knows what they are doing.

ReputationRep:
    i have shares in forign n collonial, but im no in controll of them until im 25.

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tednol)
    Hi people,
    Just out of interest, how many people here own shares?

Ed
    yep ftse100 index shares

ReputationRep:
    Hi people,

Ed
    Yes, but through a scheme at the company I used to work for. You got X number of shares for X number of years service. Had been there 10 years so got a nice little collection!

ReputationRep:
    Yes - in the Bradford and Bingley and this US company that makes microchips that go in ID cards etc.

ReputationRep:
    Hi people,

Ed
    Siemens & GE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baron Huntroyde)
    Yes - in the Bradford and Bingley and this US company that makes microchips that go in ID cards etc.
    That sounds like an excellent investement what with all the new credit cards and the new ID cards.

Personally I have £21k shares in some company i've never heard of which I can't touch till im 25.

Apart from that I have about £1k of my own money invested in shares of a few different companies.

ReputationRep:
    I have shares in various building societies from when they have merged, demutalised (sp!) or turned into a bank or something weird...

I don't have them in my name until I'm 18 though, but I get dividends and stuff

ReputationRep:
    My dad has 100% shares in his own businesses and when he kicks the bucket, they're mine, ding!

And I'll definitely get shares in Manchester United too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by me!)
    I have shares in various building societies from when they have merged, demutalised (sp!) or turned into a bank or something weird...

I don't have them in my name until I'm 18 though, but I get dividends and stuff
    Halifax the B******s didn't give me any even though i was entitled. I promptly closed my account and took it to a proper bank.:mad:

ReputationRep:
    Thought about it but its not worth investing if you only have a few hundered to spend. By the the time the stockbrookers have taken their share you will not make much profit. Unless of course you invested in Microsoft in 1976.
    It is true that many stock brockers charge way too much. Stock brockers also charge comission on each trade (it doesn't even have to be a different company). Full service brokers may also charge other fees just to keep the account open. In return they give advice. Most of thier advice sucks.

If you know what you want to trade and have a decent amount of money... ie: $1000 US dollars or around £800 then you can trade with a discount Broker and barely notice the small commsion they charge. They let you decide what to buy and stay out of your way. Most operate solely online. I use Ameritrade, but E*Trade, Scott Trade and others are good too.

It is important to note that you can trade with less money. Your percentage commission wil just be higher and it will be harder for you to profit. Not impossible though...I and many other people have done it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bryansix)
    It is true that many stock brockers charge way too much. Stock brockers also charge comission on each trade (it doesn't even have to be a different company). Full service brokers may also charge other fees just to keep the account open. In return they give advice. Most of thier advice sucks.

If you know what you want to trade and have a decent amount of money... ie: $1000 US dollars or around £800 then you can trade with a discount Broker and barely notice the small commsion they charge. They let you decide what to buy and stay out of your way. Most operate solely online. I use Ameritrade, but E*Trade, Scott Trade and others are good too.

It is important to note that you can trade with less money. Your percentage commission wil just be higher and it will be harder for you to profit. Not impossible though...I and many other people have done it.
    Yes. That is true

Being a stockborker must be a wonderful thing. Getting inside information and betting large sums of personal money on 'bankers' is why stockbrokers often drive around in flashy cars, not because of their salaries.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.