SpiralV
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
1) If a laptop's description says it has a Dual-core 1GHz processor, does that mean 2x1=2GHz? Or is it just 1GHz?

2) A laptop has a single-core 1.5GHz, and another laptop has Dual-core 1Ghz processor. If all other things about them are equal, which one is faster?

Thanks in advance for the answer.
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Spiral1977)
1) If a laptop's description says it has a Dual-core 1GHz processor, does that mean 2x1=2GHz? Or is it just 1GHz?

2) A laptop has a single-core 1.5GHz, and another laptop has Dual-core 1Ghz processor. If all other things about them are equal, which one is faster?

1. The clock speed listed (the number in GHz) is the maximum clock speed, and all cores are capable of running at this speed simultaneously. Depending on the task this may or may not be necessary and certain cores may run slower or completely idle in certain CPUs, or extra power may be available if required if the CPU has technologies like Intel's Turbo Boost.

2. First and foremost avoid single core laptops like the plague- at this point of time any single core laptop is going to be a relic.

As for whether higher cores or higher clock is better, it's never that simple- I'd take a low voltage dual core i3 over a low end AMD quad core most of the time. The processor architecture, the intended uses, and other factors all play a part.
Iqbal007
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Spiral1977)

As Gofre stated.

However, there are other important factors, such the architecture of the processor itself....a 3 year old dual core 2.5ghz processor against the latest 1.5ghz dual core, the 1.5ghz would win. These days its more than the clock speed, but the physical body of the processor, etc As they are more efficient and capable of processing quicker as a result.

Dual core wins, today every type of computer program can optimise dual cores so will run faster and many can use quad cores to its full extent.
Camoxide
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Also core i3s are dual core hyper threaded which means they act like a quad core.
ihavemooedtoday
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Camoxide)
Also core i3s are dual core hyper threaded which means they act like a quad core.
They don't quite act like quad core.

They have a few duplicated parts that allows the OS to schedule 2 threads on each, so that when 1 thread is not using shared execution resources (eg. it has a pipeline stall), the other thread can run. In reality this usually gives ~10% increase over no HT. It's nowhere near a real quad core.
Camoxide
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ihavemooedtoday)
They don't quite act like quad core.

They have a few duplicated parts that allows the OS to schedule 2 threads on each, so that when 1 thread is not using shared execution resources (eg. it has a pipeline stall), the other thread can run. In reality this usually gives ~10% increase over no HT. It's nowhere near a real quad core.
Although it's not nearly as good as a true core, hyperthreading can significantly improve performance

Name:  3DMarkFS_CPU.PNG
Views: 108
Size:  35.6 KB

That's a %50 gain in physics processing with hyperthreading.
ihavemooedtoday
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Camoxide)
Although it's not nearly as good as a true core, hyperthreading can significantly improve performance

That's a %50 gain in physics processing with hyperthreading.
Performance gain (or loss, in some rare cases) from HT is an extremely complicated topic.

It depends on a million things.

For example, better written code will benefit less, because they will be using the CPU more efficiently already. HT relies on suboptimal code (which leaves the CPU hanging) to schedule another thread to run at the same time.

Memory bandwidth or cache constrained code won't run any faster because the 2 hyper threads share the same cache and memory bus.

Code that require more work to be done when more threads are involved (things like some types of searches or encoding algorithms) may actually become slower. For example, if 2 threads require 1.2x the amount of total work to be done, it will definitely be faster on a real dual core, but quite possibly slower on HT.

From my experience writing multi-threaded code, 10-20% improvement from HT is common. Anything higher is rare.

"Up to 50% gain" doesn't mean anything. "Up to 50% gain, 2% of the time" does.

Where did you get that picture from? Link?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (44)
18.64%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (68)
28.81%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (88)
37.29%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (30)
12.71%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (6)
2.54%

Watched Threads