The Student Room Group

How many credits in a PhD?

Are there credits in a PhD like an MA or is it based on passing the 1st year report and 3rd year thesis? With modules being optional.
Reply 1
Original post by Jedi4
Are there credits in a PhD like an MA or is it based on passing the 1st year report and 3rd year thesis? With modules being optional.

No credits. In my PhD, I started on an MPhil and submitted a Transfer Report which I have to successfully defend in a viva in order to be transferred to the full PhD. I then complete the PhD in the same way - by submitting a written thesis and defending it in a viva.

There are no taught modules. I can attend undergrad, Masters or other training lectures to plug holes in my knowledge (I need a lot of help with stats) but none of these count towards my final PhD outcome.
Reply 2
Original post by Jedi4

Depends on the PhD you are doing, and where.

Some PhDs have indeed a taught, or at least a semi-taught first year, these are either called 1+3 or integrative PhDs (saw 2+2 in Economics as well). Then, having passed the first year, you're on the MPhil and as Klix said have to pass that one.

Now, there are credits for the PhD - at least at some universities or at least trying to 'creditise' your work, e.g. 1 credit for every 10 hours put into research, 3 years is worth 540 credits:

http://www2.hull.ac.uk/hubs/research-degrees/mphil-phd.aspx
Reply 3
Original post by c2uk

Now, there are credits for the PhD - at least at some universities or at least trying to 'creditise' your work, e.g. 1 credit for every 10 hours put into research, 3 years is worth 540 credits:

http://www2.hull.ac.uk/hubs/research-degrees/mphil-phd.aspx

That's an odd idea. I wonder how they police it to ensure the hours are being done? I can't open the booklet they link to. Or maybe if you get the PhD they award you the 540 credits, assuming that you've put in those hours? Either way, it feels like a devaluation of what a PhD is about.
Reply 4
Original post by c2uk
Some PhDs have indeed a taught, or at least a semi-taught first year, these are either called 1+3 or integrative PhDs

i think with those, the "1" is effectively a Masters, so you'd expect that part to carry credits.
Reply 5
I am on a normal 3 year PhD and there doesn't seem to be any credits. @River85 what does a PhD certificate say?
No recognised ECTS credits for doing a PhD.

See : http://www.studyineurope.eu/ects-system 'PhD studies (third cycle) have no ECTS range'.
Reply 7
Original post by Klix88
That's an odd idea. I wonder how they police it to ensure the hours are being done? I can't open the booklet they link to. Or maybe if you get the PhD they award you the 540 credits, assuming that you've put in those hours? Either way, it feels like a devaluation of what a PhD is about.

They can't, I guess it's just an arbitrary number, an assumption that that's the amount of time you have to put in to get a PhD - or simply 3*180 as 180 is what you need for an MSc/MA.

Original post by Klix88
i think with those, the "1" is effectively a Masters, so you'd expect that part to carry credits.

The 1+3 include indeed a Masters in the first year, but they're still considered full PhD programmes by universities, as that first year is compulsory. Integrative PhDs are very similar to these 1+3 but don't have a degree qualification for this taught part as far as I know.

Original post by Jedi4
I am on a normal 3 year PhD and there doesn't seem to be any credits. @River85 what does a PhD certificate say?

If that's the case, then read the academic regulations handbook of your university.
Reply 8
Original post by c2uk
They can't, I guess it's just an arbitrary number, an assumption that that's the amount of time you have to put in to get a PhD - or simply 3*180 as 180 is what you need for an MSc/MA.

Sounds reasonable.

I wonder what the credits would be used for? As returnmigrant points out, they aren't recognised as part of the formal uni credit system. Seems a bit pointless (!) to me.
Reply 9
Original post by Klix88
Sounds reasonable.

I wonder what the credits would be used for? As returnmigrant points out, they aren't recognised as part of the formal uni credit system. Seems a bit pointless (!) to me.

It probably is pointless, but as I've shown some universities use it regardless.

It gets even more pointless if you consider that finishing a PhD in the three years is actually very difficult.
Reply 10
Original post by Jedi4

Also, in case you're just about to start your PhD, you should have an induction and scheduled a meeting with your supervisor, where you'll be discussing these sort of things.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending