TheBBT
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi, for my AS levels I took maths, physics, chemistry and biology. However, I only took biology as it was the only subject left that appealed to me and I had the intention of dropping it at A2. I'm not enjoying biology and have the chance to switch to further maths. Should I? I really love maths but my teachers are worried that it will narrow down my career and university course options. What shall I do?

Does anybody know what types of careers I could do with maths, further maths, physics and chemistry A levels?

Thanks for any help.
_Fergo
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Do what you like! If you don't like Biology you're probably not gonna achieve the same as you would with a subject you liked (ie Further Maths).

I may indeed close some doors (medicine coming to mind), but it does open others (all those courses requiring Further Maths -mostly at top universities).
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
With the new selection, basically any physical science, almost every branch of engineering and most degrees with a quantitative element. The only degrees that require biology are biology (obviously) and some biomed/biochem courses. So unless you want to go into biology, you're not really narrowing your options a lot.
loperdoper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You still have many options open to you with further maths. Any engineering course, computer science, most science courses that aren't biology-specific (although even then Zoology - considered a biology course - is still open without biology).

(Original post by *Stefan*)
I may indeed close some doors (medicine coming to mind), but it does open others (all those courses requiring Further Maths -mostly at top universities).
Actually, Chemistry is more common a requirement than Biology. Biology is preferred, but Chemistry is required in most cases, so actually medicine would still hypothetically be a route.
TheBBT
Rep:
?
(Original post by *Stefan*)
Do what you like! If you don't like Biology you're probably not gonna achieve the same as you would with a subject you liked (ie Further Maths).

Medicine is something that I'm not really interested in. Do you know any careers I could do with my a levels with further maths and not biology? Thanks so much for your input and help!
C0balt
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I had a huge dilemma between further maths and biology a few months ago as well - making about 3 threads about it. I also had an intention to drop Bio or FM at A2. I ended up choosing further maths and it now is my favourite class - I don't think I will drop it at A2!

It actually opens up many doors in physical sciences field at top uni as well as economics. Maths, computer science, physics, engineering or economics...top unis want FM in these field. Whereas sometimes entry requirement does not include biology even for biology/biochemistry degree - but it depends on uni of course.

Unless you want to go into medical sciences, I'd say go for FM as long as you like maths and are good at it - but I'm biased :P
sytner9
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by TheBBT)
Hi, for my AS levels I took maths, physics, chemistry and biology. However, I only took biology as it was the only subject left that appealed to me and I had the intention of dropping it at A2. I'm not enjoying biology and have the chance to switch to further maths. Should I? I really love maths but my teachers are worried that it will narrow down my career and university course options. What shall I do?

Does anybody know what types of careers I could do with maths, further maths, physics and chemistry A levels?

Thanks for any help.
Your teachers are ******s for saying that, its absolutely not true.
TheBBT
Rep:
?
(Original post by Chlorophile)
With the new selection, basically any physical science, almost every branch of engineering and most degrees with a quantitative element. The only degrees that require biology are biology (obviously) and some biomed/biochem courses. So unless you want to go into biology, you're not really narrowing your options a lot.
OMG thank you so much. I'm not interested in any biology degrees but was worried that without it it would limit my options in the other sciences, but if not then I think I'll choose further maths instead.

Thank you so much for your help!
TheBBT
Rep:
?
(Original post by C0balt)
I had a huge dilemma between further maths and biology a few months ago as well - making about 3 threads about it. I also had an intention to drop Bio or FM at A2. I ended up choosing further maths and it now is my favourite class - I don't think I will drop it at A2!

It actually opens up many doors in physical sciences field at top uni as well as economics. Maths, computer science, physics, engineering or economics...top unis want FM in these field. Whereas sometimes entry requirement does not include biology even for biology/biochemistry degree - but it depends on uni of course.

Unless you want to go into medical sciences, I'd say go for FM as long as you like maths and are good at it - but I'm biased :P
You sound exactly like me; I'm also biased towards maths because I love it!
_Fergo
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Medicine is something that I'm not really interested in. Do you know any careers I could do with my a levels with further maths and not biology? Thanks so much for your input and help!
In terms of degree choices, your A-Levels (including Further Maths) would easily allow you to go for Economics, Mathematics and all the engineering courses. Your Further Maths A-Level will be particularly helpful if you're applying to LSE Economics, required if you're going for Maths at any top uni (Imperial, Cambridge, Warwick) and also helpful for the engineering courses. I believe Further Maths would be better than Biology in any case, except for Biology related courses.

(Original post by loperdoper)
Actually, Chemistry is more common a requirement than Biology. Biology is preferred, but Chemistry is required in most cases, so actually medicine would still hypothetically be a route.
I was thinking of it more like since Medicine is insanely competitive, preferred almost means required. But I am sure there are cases which could prove me wrong.
Thinking_Aloud
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Thanks for any help.
If you like maths and not Biology, take further maths. You will be narrowing down your career choice but also opening up some other options. With further maths you can go into engineering, economics, physics, maths, astrophysics...
Look at university websites and see their entry criteria.
Universities respect having 3 sciences (maths counts) so you won't be narrowing down your options by much unless you planned into going into something biology based, like medicine.
Hope it helps.
TheBBT
Rep:
?
Thanks for all of your help everyone!
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You still have many options open to you with further maths. Any engineering course, computer science, most science courses that aren't biology-specific (although even then Zoology - considered a biology course - is still open without biology).

You say that theoretically medicine is still open but i know that there are only 5 UK unis that will consider applicants without biology (though that's without biology AS, so I may be wrong...)

Posted from TSR Mobile
loperdoper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Trouty97)
You say that theoretically medicine is still open but i know that there are only 5 UK unis that will consider applicants without biology (though that's without biology AS, so I may be wrong...)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I haven't actually looked at them in detail, as I'm not a medicine applicant, just glanced over the list.
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I haven't actually looked at them in detail, as I'm not a medicine applicant, just glanced over the list.
K, like I said, I'm not 100%.

Posted from TSR Mobile
k4l397
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Thanks for any help.
If you're good at maths, and enjoy it I'd say go for it. With the greatest respect to your teachers, they have no clue what they are talking about. Maths and Further Maths open a LOT of career paths.

I did Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry last year and I'm applying for Computer Science this year. I can guarantee there are loads of options available with that combination, there are probably subjects you never knew existed that you can do with that combination of subjects.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (665)
33.55%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (844)
42.58%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (384)
19.37%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (89)
4.49%

Watched Threads