Aleenaa
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi guys! So this is a thread for those who did OCR Biology and got an A - I really need help for resources. But before that, I would like to explain a little bit about myself.

So the way that I revise, is by gathering detailed information and simply learning it. The books that school have made us buy i.e. (OCR books which are by Heinemann) - I don't find them useful, AT ALL. I think the information is toooooo vague and I don't understand a thing.

I do have the Biology AS CGP student book - but I feel as though it just makes things clearer, and doesn't help with the detailed side of it.

So my question to you guys would be, which resources did you use and how did you get your A basically haha?

Thank you all!
Malawasheree
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I don't know how helpful this might be, but I'm currently doing A2 biology this year and I got 92% overall in AS, so I think I'm pretty much guaranteed an A this year. In our sixth form, we don't use the OCR textbooks- the biology department made note booklets specifically catered to the exam and using past paper mark schemes for the right terminology. I agree that the OCR booklets are very general - that's why I think the best learning tool would be to do the past paper after you've finished the module you're doing and look at the specific jargon the examiner wants - at A Level they are a lot more strict with your language when answering the questions.

For revision, I found the CGP textbook useful for understanding the harder concepts. Also have a look at these videos for info that will be on the exam
Thomas96
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hello,

I've just finished my A Levels last year and I got an A. In terms of revision all I used was the CGP A2 revision guide and my class notes. I think the CGP books are really clear and to the point HOWEVER I don't think they are very useful for preparing you for the suggest type questions so I did loads of past paper questions too.

Hope this helps.
Aleenaa
Rep:
?
Thank you guys!
Mule
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Aleenaa)
Thank you guys!
Really you don't like the OCR book? I pretty much only used them. I did find the purple one with the brain more useful than the green one though, although they weren't perfect, had some mistakes etc.
Aleenaa
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mule)
Really you don't like the OCR book? I pretty much only used them. I did find the purple one with the brain more useful than the green one though, although they weren't perfect, had some mistakes etc.
Which purple one with the brain?
Mule
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Aleenaa)
Which purple one with the brain?
This one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/OCR-Biology-...ds=biology+ocr

I also found this series quite useful

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Biology-Stud...y+ocr+revision
Aleenaa
Rep:
?

I am currently doing AS and I've got the same books for AS Level! Haha! Thanks anyway!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (36)
17.06%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (62)
29.38%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (82)
38.86%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (26)
12.32%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.37%

Watched Threads