100%
Blackberry Passport (0)
0%
kostasxantho
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi there ! i am a deferred entry student (2015) and i am thinking of getting a new phone for uni. I currently have an iphone 4s which until recently got me through my everyday tasks but i will soon need an upgrade. So i use apple because it has convenient products (i have a macbook pro and an ipad mini 2) and icloud really helps, but if i choose to get an iphone(again) it will be the 5s because, lets face it: rationally speaking the iPhone 6 is a problematic phone (kinda like windows vista was for microsoft).However, i believe that for spreadsheets and docs and student stuff blackberry passport looks like a really convenient phone. I don't want to switch to android or windows phone so please recommend me either of these two phones. Thanks
username1456920
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
First of all inb4 android fanboys screaming get an android phone.

:lol:

RIM are still making phones?

Get the iPhone. If your decision is between the Blackberry and iPhone.
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by kostasxantho)
Hi there ! i am a deferred entry student (2015) and i am thinking of getting a new phone for uni. I currently have an iphone 4s which until recently got me through my everyday tasks but i will soon need an upgrade. So i use apple because it has convenient products (i have a macbook pro and an ipad mini 2) and icloud really helps, but if i choose to get an iphone(again) it will be the 5s because, lets face it: rationally speaking the iPhone 6 is a problematic phone (kinda like windows vista was for microsoft).However, i believe that for spreadsheets and docs and student stuff blackberry passport looks like a really convenient phone. I don't want to switch to android or windows phone so please recommend me either of these two phones. Thanks
The Passport is, in my opinion, a poor idea for a phone that's gimped itself in too many ways in the pursuit of being an overly niche business phone. If you want a productivity phone, get one of the Galaxy Note phones for the far superior app ecosystem, larger screen, stylus support and multi window functionality. BB10 is more convoluted to use than Android a lot of the time anyway, and Android is generally superior, so if you're going to jump to a new OS it may as well be one that's as good as iOS. Alternatively get whichever phone you want and an inexpensive tablet like the Tesco Hudl or Nexus 7, which will be far better for doing work on than any phone.

If it absolutely has to be one of these phones, definitely the iPhone.

Here's what I said when I was asked my opinion about the Passport earlier this week. Early reviews have also been pretty negative too.

Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by Gofre)
This is going to be a loooong rant.

I think it's going to be a failure for three key reasons;

*It's a weird, poorly thought out concept: The phone is absurdly wide, 20% wider than the OnePlus One and about 15% wider than the Galaxy Note 4, two phones that the majority of the people rule out for being uncomfortably big already and width is the key factor in this. This width is supposedly a benefit for productivity focused uses, but that's a minuscule market and the OPO/Note and other phablets get about 50% more screen real estate by not being stupid squares and making proper use of their footprint, which I'd wager businessmen would rather have than a few extra characters per line. I think Blackberry have literally just decided to create a productivity-oriented and look for any possible ideas of what could make sense on such a phone, even when it actually doesn't.

*Blackberry have taken a bad concept and delivered an even worse execution: There's so many things about the design of this phone that I think are stupid it's not even funny;
-As above, it's stupidly wide, and the bottom chunk of the phone is occupied by a keyboard (more on that later). Even with a touch overlay on the keyboard this thing is going to be a nightmare to use one-handed for any task even for things like web browsing, because a huge chunk of the area your thumb can cover one-handed is occupied by a keyboard and not webpage to click on. Stupidly wide + sharp corners equals a nightmare for pockets too.
-The keyboard is stupid. It's once again overly wide making one-handed typing impossible yet at the same time they've squished it together- they've removed the number bar and demoted it to a contextual on-screen row, probably making it horribly disjointed, and shoehorned the spacebar into the middle of the bottom row completely disrupting the typing experience for the 100% of people who have typed on keyboards where it gets a separate row. No shift key, no markings for alternate options for each button, and from what I've read in reviews it's not the same fantastic tactile typing experience that it used to be, even overlooking the physical/touchscreen split. Blackberry have taken keyboards, the one thing they do well, and ruined it.
-A square display is stupid for nigh on everything. Stock apps, web browsing and other apps which can adapt to different screen sizes should be ok but the overwhelming majority of mobile content is designed for 16:9 or 16:10 ratios these days and I highly doubt games and things will look particularly smashing or will at very least have horrible letterboxing, as will be the case for video. They've also invested way too much value into a 1440 x 1440 resolution when 4.5" displays are more than fine with 720p or 1080p, and that sort of resolution is something that barely makes sense on Android, nevermind on an obscure platform developers have no incentive to cater to- BB10 is looking about as fragmented as early Android in terms of the sheer range of display sizes and specs with an OS that barely holds together on standard form factors.

*Blackberry OS isn't good enough to pull off this concept and isn't going to be getting any better: Gone are the days where Blackberries were the businessman's phones of choice, Blackberry OS lost all of its advantages over iOS and Android, started falling behind in new features, and lost all edges it held over security and reliability. Blackberry 10 did nothing to change that, and is still inferior to iOS and Android from a productivity standpoint. A lot of basic tasks are overly convoluted to execute, key software like Google Docs isn't available and the app ecosystem isn't likely to improve while Blackberry are a sinking ship, something the Passport has zero chance of resolving. There's literally no unique software features or exclusive apps to draw people away from the bigger operating systems and the awkward form factor will drive off the mainstream userbase. They've haemorrhaged as much market share as they can and now it's just a case of bottom feeders like Windows Phone picking the last sinews of meat off the carcass.

Blackberry needed a new phone that could meet mainstream demand and be desirable in some way to stabilise even a tiny userbase from which it could hopefully start rebuilding itself. Instead they've released a poorly executed niche device that might attract the occasional ageing CEO who read that "Blackberries are the best phones for professionals" on AOL back in 2008. For a company that's been fighting off bankruptcy and has as little as sub-1% market share according to some sources, I can't believe this is what they chose to release.
jameswhughes
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
In addition to the good points already made, consider whether it is worth buying a device outside the Apple ecosystem, if you already have loads of Apple apps they won't be compatible with a different type of phone. There are also the new features in iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite that will bring the Mac, iPhone and iPad closer together. The problems in the 6 have been exaggerated, one person bent his and everyone else is now trying to bend theirs.

Last, if you don't want to switch to Android, then there's even less reason to consider BB10, it's an operating system that can only get any some support by running Android apps.
tehFrance
Badges: 15
Report 4 years ago
BB :rofl:

Get the iPhone 6 or Samsung S5, the Plus really is too big, it's more of an iPad than iPhone

On paper I'd go for the Samsung S5, due to the Apple Ecosystem I'd go iPhone 6/6 Plus, what I wouldn't get is a BlackBerry of any kind.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (149)
18.63%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (79)
9.88%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (135)
16.88%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (114)
14.25%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (78)
9.75%
How can I be the best version of myself? (245)
30.63%

Watched Threads