The Student Room Group

Childs Nursing or Midwifery?

Hi:smile: I'm in year 12 and I'm starting to really think about what I want to do in 2 years time. I am finding A levels quite difficult at the moment but I'm hoping that i'll get decent grades if I work hard enough. I think I would like to study either childs nursing or midwifery but I don't know which one. I have been interested in a career in medicine and healthcare for quite a while and also where it is going to be quite rewarding. Does anyone have any suggestions? Also is it true that a nurses job just consists of cleaning up vomit and changing sheets all day.. because if that's the case then I don't see much point in going to university. Please give me some help and advice, thank you!!!
Hey!
Its never too soon to think about your career, so good on you :smile: Also, don't forget, within the next two years your career choices and ideas may change, so don't take it too seriously and don't forget to really research the different health care careers out there and what they involve before making a final decision :smile:

I'm no expert but here's what I know about the two careers you have mentioned:-

Children's Nursing

With Children's Nursing you will have to clean up after patients, wash and dress them and possibly make beds as you stated above. However, Nursing is far more than just that! You will also care for the children by providing reassurance and support to both the children and the parents. You will administer medications, feed the children and record and measure things such as their pulse, head circumference, weight and breathing rate and these are the reasons that Nurses have to go to university, to learn these vital skills in order to be a competent and good nurse. However, Nursing is a very challenging career and you will have to be prepared to do some horrible jobs such as watching children struggling through horrible illnesses, watching young children in significant pain and also you will have to deal with all sorts of sights, smells and bodily fluids such as blood, vomits and human waste. It is a very stressful career, so you must be able to have the ability to work well under pressure. However, the career is a very good one, with plenty of career prospects and you will be able to make a difference in the lives of others and see patients under your care get better and improve dramatically with your own help. It is a very positive career to go into. You need at least 3 B's at A Level to get in preferably a Science Subject such as Biology, other subjects which may go well include Health and Social Care, Psychology, Sociology, Childcare, Human Biology , Religious Studies or a language.

Midwifery
Midwifery on the other hand, is more about looking after the mother rather than the babies. You will be with the mother from the start of her pregnancy and onwards until even after birth. You will ensure both the parents and the child's health. Your role will include checking and measuring the Mother's Blood Pressure and temperature and feeling the mother's bump to ensure that the baby is developing appropriately. I don;t know a huge deal about this career but I know it is quite difficult course to get onto at university and you will need around ABB (I think) at A Level to get on, however, it is a very positive career, where you will make a difference to the lives of others and be support for a mother at a very important time in their life.

But I wouldn't take my word for it, this information is just what I've heard from others and could be slightly wrong. To get more information on the two careers, it may be best to do your own research about the two and make up your decision from there. Scour the internet particularly the NHS careers website and read some books (this will be helpful later on, when writing your personal statement to apply for uni). Get some work experience in your chosen areas, so you can get a realistic view of your career.

I hope this helped :smile:
These are the exact career options I'm looking at, but there's more to nursing than cleaning up and stuff - your looking after people and you can change life's. Midwifes do something very special, they being a new life in to the world as well as supporting the mum to be on their journey, its a very rewarding job indeed. I think you should just work for the grades you want and when it comes to applying for university, apply for both courses, that way it is down to them and you shouldn't be too bothered in what you get. X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hm.. some very good advice from the poster above. However, I would be careful about applying for both courses (you've got a while to decide yet anyway) because although some aspects of the two careers cross over i.e. working with children and working with parents, most unis like to see a personal statement which is specific to their course. So they like to see the word midwifery/children's Nursing in there somewhere which is going to be difficult applying for two courses. Also, both careers require work experience so it would be difficult and possibly confusing for universities to see both Children's Nursing and Midwifery work experience in a personal statement for Children's Nursing course. Unis may see it as a lack of commitment to one role and may be deterred from that.
However, that being said, many apply for multiple courses each year so you just have to be careful how you word your application.

Personally, you've got a good amount of time on your hands so I would definitely recommend you start applying for work experience for both courses to really get your application sorted and improve your chances of getting into the career. If you want further advice on possible Work experience placement just quote me :smile: or PM me :smile:
As other posters have suggested you need to make a decision between Midwifery and Nursing before application. In part this is because the Millie Tants in Midwifery are of the opinion theonly thing Nursing and Midwifery share is the historical quirk of being under the same Professional Regulator. (in the days of the GNC one had to qualify as an SRN before undertaking midwifery training, Direct Entry Midwifery came around becasueof the changes that brought about the move to Higher Education Preparation for Practice.)

Public Perception of Nursing is wrong , while we've seen some good coverage of Nursing in certain settings (24 hoursin A+E ) and to a degree Casualty ( although it's gone down hill Professional accuracy wise since St Josh left ( in the old days of Casualty the Nursing Professional issues portrayed were quite accurate and on the ball, it;s all about pantomime villians of lay managmeent now - more so than the near pantomime villainry that passes for lay Management in the NHS) , other media portrayals of Nursing don;t help ( Holby CIty , Dear Old Martin Platt in Corrie ... the Daily Mail trotting out Dear old Clare Rayner until she passed away to wax lyrical despite the fact she hadn't had effective registration or set foot on a ward as Staff for 40 years )

The public confuse the role of the RN and the HCA constantly - it is not professional arrogance to suggest that the majority of basic care will fall onto the shoulders of the HCAs in many settings as that is what they are employed to do - implement care under the delegation of the Accountable RN - primarily because the None Reigstered members of the team do not have the skills, knowledge, experience or legal Authority to do some of the sthings RNs do. there is far more to being an RN than 'doing the medicines' dpesite an unfortunate minority of HCAs who maintain this.
I think the best thing for you to do is to find out more about both these careers. Work experience is the best way to do this, so if you can find opportunities to shadow paediatric nurses or midwives than go for it. If not, then even shadowing community nurses who work with children or health visitors may still be beneficial, as although it shows a different side of nursing, you will still be visiting children and their families and learning about the career. As both courses are very competitive at university, I'd recommend applying to one of them, rather than both. Good luck with whatever you choose to do!
When your old enough apply for a auxilliary nurse job, my friend is one just now with no experience so it's not that hard to be one. This way you can find out what nurses do, and decide if that's the route for you x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Leanneloxx
When your old enough apply for a auxilliary nurse job, my friend is one just now with no experience so it's not that hard to be one. This way you can find out what nurses do, and decide if that's the route for you x

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is really good advice and I would definitely listen to it, becoming a Health Care Assistant, Support Worker or an Auxillary Nurse will really give a clear insight into Nursing and it looks great on your personal statement too no matter which Health Care Career you go into. If you are worrying about it impacting on your studies you can sign onto the nursing bank so you will have a 0 hour contract, allowing you to pick and chose your hours to work around you. It really might be worth thinking about however, you have to be 18 in most places to work as a HCA :smile:
Reply 8
hey its been years but i'm thinking about these career choices and i'm wondering what you did and how is it going thanks 🙂