The Student Room Group

Using differentiation in C1?

I did some C1 (edexcel) homework the other day, questions were on finding the turning point, I used differentiation as we were taught it last year in further maths gcse, but my teacher says I have to use completing the square for C1. Is this correct? Will I get no marks in the exam if I use differentiation?
Reply 1
Original post by Jabberjay_
I did some C1 (edexcel) homework the other day, questions were on finding the turning point, I used differentiation as we were taught it last year in further maths gcse, but my teacher says I have to use completing the square for C1. Is this correct? Will I get no marks in the exam if I use differentiation?

You'll get one or two for getting the right answer, maybe another if they're generous and your differentials are correct, but you won't get full marks because you have to demonstrate the ability to use that mathematic technique (completing the square, that is).

If you are asked to complete the square then you need to use that method

If you are asked just to find the turning point then you will get full marks

Edexcel will specify in the question if they do not want a particular method used

Edit

Can you identify the exam question - I have just looked at the papers and cannot find a singe question in C1 that asks you to find a turning point
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by TenOfThem
If you are asked to complete the square then you need to use that method

If you are asked just to find the turning point then you will get full marks

Edexcel will specify in the question if they do not want a particular method used

Ok, thanks for your help, differentiation is just so much easier :smile:
Ok, thanks for your help, differentiation is just so much easier :smile:

see my edit
Reply 5
Original post by TenOfThem
see my edit

They were just some questions that my teacher made up for us, we are going on to chapter 3 in C1 so I presumed they would be in there.

Quick Reply

Latest