The Student Room Group

Southampton vs Warwick vs Glasgow

Which one of these is the best for Computer Science?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Thanks to those who will reply in advance :3
Impossible to split them on that subject. Just visit them all and decide which one you like in person.
Reply 3
Original post by Crumpet1
Impossible to split them on that subject. Just visit them all and decide which one you like in person.

I am an International Applicant, will be difficult for me to go and visit these unis.
Original post by NerdyMeg
I am an International Applicant, will be difficult for me to go and visit these unis.

Then look for online tours (see YouTube), look at the course content, look at what clubs and societies they have that you might like to join, look at how easy they will be to reach from an airport that you can fly into. All these things will let you differentiate between them more validly than trying to split three universities that are so closely matched you couldn't get a razorblade between them.

Or even better, just apply to all three. You have five choices and you may not get offers from all of them.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Then look for online tours (see YouTube), look at the course content, look at what clubs and societies they have that you might like to join, look at how easy they will be to reach from an airport that you can fly into. All these things will let you differentiate between them more validly than trying to split three universities that are so closely matched you couldn't get a razorblade between them.

Or even better, just apply to all three. You have five choices and you may not get offers from all of them.

Reply 6
​bump!
Warwick would be considered to be the 'best' university of those three. Warwick is probably within the top 10 universities in the UK, which neither Southampton nor Glasgow are. That being said, go where you would be most happy and where the course content best suits you.
Reply 8
Original post by perflous
Warwick would be considered to be the 'best' university of those three. Warwick is probably within the top 10 universities in the UK, which neither Southampton nor Glasgow are. That being said, go where you would be most happy and where the course content best suits you.

The only thing which worries me about Warwick is that its in nowhere!
Reply 9
Someone help please
Original post by perflous

Not for computer science. In that subject they're too close to separate. Southampton has Tim Berners-Lee on its staff, for example.

Meg, they're all great universities and you'd be happy at any of them. None of them will give you greater job prospects than the others, that distinction will be down to how you perform in your studies, the quality of your work experience, and your own personal characteristics.
Reply 11
:biggrin: thanks
Warwick is just better in everything , full of intellectual powerhouses and that's why I intend to join them in 2015
Reply 13
Original post by Magnus Taylor
Warwick is just better in everything , full of intellectual powerhouses and that's why I intend to join them in 2015

This made me laugh
Reply 14
Warwick > Glasgow > Southampton.
Reply 15
Original post by Caedus
Warwick > Glasgow > Southampton.

In case of reputation, you're right but I've heard Southampton has great Comp Sci department. Warwick is basically situated nowhere, its really difficult to find a house for 2nd year. Glasgow in the other hand is a big city. Yet, its more arts based.
Reply 16
Original post by NerdyMeg
In case of reputation, you're right but I've heard Southampton has great Comp Sci department. Warwick is basically situated nowhere, its really difficult to find a house for 2nd year. Glasgow in the other hand is a big city. Yet, its more arts based.

That's so. I've very little knowledge of the quality of these universities' Comp-Sci departments; other than a friend of mine having studied it at Glasgow. So yes, what I've said is based purely on overall reputation.
Reply 17
Original post by Caedus
That's so. I've very little knowledge of the quality of these universities' Comp-Sci departments; other than a friend of mine having studied it at Glasgow. So yes, what I've said is based purely on overall reputation.

I am leaning towards Glasgow, can you tell me more about University of Glasgow? Can you find out if department is helpful to students and if students are happy? Also if the computing facilities are great
All three of them are considerably better for CS than Kings, which is trending well on your poll (thus proving all by itself what a crazy way of choosing a university a poll would be). People on this site will recommend universities that they are going to, or have heard more about. You're unlikely to get a well-researched view on which university will be best for your subject, your interests, and your needs.
Reply 19
All three of them are considerably better for CS than Kings, which is trending well on your poll (thus proving all by itself what a crazy way of choosing a university a poll would be). People on this site will recommend universities that they are going to, or have heard more about. You're unlikely to get a well-researched view on which university will be best for your subject, your interests, and your needs.

I may or may not choose kings. The way its rank is depreciating every year is horrifying. Its 40 now out of 119 :/ thats kinda weird

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending