The Student Room Group

All Islam threads in news and current events should be moved to religion.

I'm sick and tired of folks bringing up Islam all the time. The news and Current events section isn't even about current news anymore. It's just about 'Islam'.

It's time the mods policed the news and current events section. All posts related to religion should be moved to the 'religion' section.

I'm all for people having 'civil' discussion, but it's like some people now need to be redirected to the religion section. The forum is plagued with Islam thread after Islam thread.

What about Muslim members? I can imagine it must be annoying having to constantly see threads bashing your faith (notice how I say 'bashing' and not 'discussing')

Why can't there be an equivalent of /b in the student room? A place where all the racists, xenophobes, trolls and perverts can go and throw poo at each other without annoying everyone else?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
I imagine it's a difficult area for the mods when there is a HUGE overlap between the two.

Religious issues grab the headlines fairly frequently and the threads themselves often diverge from the specific topic at hand into more general religious discussions.

How do you ascertain that certain bits of religious discussion aren't related to the headlines when it's all likely interlinked anyway?
I would be more interested in an area devoted to Islamism and its impact on the world right now (which is huge, and negative).

As for Islam, that can remain in the religion section I suppose.
Reply 3
Original post by felamaslen
I would be more interested in an area devoted to Islamism and its impact on the world right now (which is huge, and negative).

As for Islam, that can remain in the religion section I suppose.

That sounds like a good idea, but it makes me feel uncomfortable and probably makes some Muslims feel uncomfortable too. Why just this treatment for Islam? It would be fine and dandy if threads were both positive and negative, but these threads seem to attract a lot of negative comments and hatred. If we have a forum especially for Islam shouldn't we have one for discussing Christianity too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
No. /thread.
Original post by datpiff
That sounds like a good idea, but it makes me feel uncomfortable and probably makes some Muslims feel uncomfortable too. Why just this treatment for Islam? It would be fine and dandy if threads were both positive and negative, but these threads seem to attract a lot of negative comments and hatred. If we have a forum especially for Islam shouldn't we have one for discussing Christianity too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was talking about Islamism, the political ideology.

There is no equivalent Christian imperialism (anymore, anyway).
Reply 6
From now on I just can't be arsed talking to people on here about Islam. It's pathetic. A load of people who should be on Stormfront. Is there any way of blocking threads that mention Islam from your view?

* Actually I will just block people who keep on getting on my nerves.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by datpiff
I'm sick and tired of folks bringing up Islam all the time. The news and Current events section isn't even about current news anymore. It's just about 'Islam'.

It's time the mods policed the news and current events section. All posts related to religion should be moved to the 'religion' section.

I'm all for people having 'civil' discussion, but it's like some people now need to be redirected to the religion section. The forum is plagued with Islam thread after Islam thread.

What about Muslim members? I can imagine it must be annoying having to constantly see threads bashing your faith (notice how I say 'bashing' and not 'discussing')

Why can't there be an equivalent of /b in the student room? A place where all the Retards, racists, xenophobes, trolls and perverts can go and throw poo at each other without annoying everyone else?

If you see any threads you think should be (re)moved, please report them :h:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by datpiff

Retards, racists, xenophobes, trolls and perverts

@ Mod below.
What makes it possible for him to use such ableist language? I'm pretty sure a lot of disabled people will be offended seeing such a derogatory term used.
OP should be removed - frankly I will also be reporting the post for genuine offensiveness.

Original post by shadowdweller
If you see any threads you think should be removed, please report them :h:
Original post by Deteriorate
@ Mod below.
What makes it possible for him to use such ableist language? I'm pretty sure a lot of disabled people will be offended seeing such a derogatory term used.
OP should be removed - frankly I will also be reporting the post for genuine offensiveness.

I didn't notice that - that said, I don't moderate this section, so report it and someone else will deal with it :h:
Original post by shadowdweller
I didn't notice that - that said, I don't moderate this section, so report it and someone else will deal with it :h:

Thank you. People shouldn't be able to use language like that.
Then islamists should stop doing newsworthy things.
Original post by datpiff
X

A place for you also with your use of ableist language?
Reply 13
@ Mod below.

A place for you also with your use of ableist language?

Well... I apologise if I offended you.

Ok...

Asking for a ban is pretty pathetic though to be blunt. The banhammer is only for serious cases that can't be resolved through a warning. It would definitely be unfair just to ban me when many many many people on this forum have said it. I suppose I will have to add that I understand that just because many people say something doesn't mean it is right, just in case that fact isn't obvious. Maybe you should instead of screaming out for bans is asking TSR to maybe censor that word, or build awareness of ableist language?

Go ahead and report me still if you want but I have said I will watch my language next time. Screaming out requests to ban me is over the top. There are systems to report posts that have caused offense. The matter can be resolved in other more civil ways.

A better option would be to remove my posts from your TSR (block me). It's easily done. If you simply don't like me then just do that.

Again apologies if I have offended you. I kinda understand the upset (well... to me the internet is only the internet), but sorry Is all I can say. You can either accept that or continue to go on the warpath.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by datpiff
It's time the mods policed the news and current events section.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2889155&p=50656817#post50656817

QED.

Why can't there be an equivalent of /b in the student room? A place where all the Retards, racists, xenophobes, trolls and perverts can go and throw poo at each other without annoying everyone else?

I can point you in the direction of a /b/ like forum - it's on 4chan, called /b/.
I couldn't agree more with OP!
Eh, a lot of it isn't a religious debate - the likes of isis and the Rotherham scandal may revolve around Muslims, but it's not an Islamic issue or a religious debates, just a news story where one party is Muslim. It doesn't belong in religion just because one part mentions a religion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by datpiff

Why can't there be an equivalent of /b in the student room? A place where all the racists, xenophobes, trolls and perverts can go and throw poo at each other without annoying everyone else?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hear you.

Although discussing Islamic extremism is partly political because it involves power hungry alienised cults in many cases, having as much to do with identity then religion which comes into a political 'debate', but yes, there is lots of horrible Islamaphobia. Ordinary Muslims are rather helpless being tagged by a minority.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending