The Student Room Group

AQA Computing COMP 4 Programming language

Hi guys,

I will shortly be starting my COMP 4 practical project. Im a bit confused on what programming language to use, my teacher prefers VB.Net but has given me a free hand on this.

I was thinking of using NodeJs, but havnt seen many people do it, neither am aware of how the exam board will look at this. Any one else thinking of/using Nodejs for comp 4?

PS My main reason for using Nodejs is that it seems so much easier and i can understand every thing thats happening so that gives me peace of mind and better control on the project.
Reply 1
I'd say go with VB. That way if you do have any issues what soever your teacher is there. :h:
Original post by AdilMalikN
Hi guys,

I will shortly be starting my COMP 4 practical project. Im a bit confused on what programming language to use, my teacher prefers VB.Net but has given me a free hand on this.

I was thinking of using NodeJs, but havnt seen many people do it, neither am aware of how the exam board will look at this. Any one else thinking of/using Nodejs for comp 4?

PS My main reason for using Nodejs is that it seems so much easier and i can understand every thing thats happening so that gives me peace of mind and better control on the project.

What language are you most familiar with? Unlike COMP1, you're not restricted to a finite set of languages. Although I'm using Delphi as that's what my teachers prefer. The important thing is to pick a language that allows you to use complex systems, like lists/stacks/queues and pointers.
Reply 3
Original post by sarcasmrules
What language are you most familiar with? Unlike COMP1, you're not restricted to a finite set of languages. Although I'm using Delphi as that's what my teachers prefer. The important thing is to pick a language that allows you to use complex systems, like lists/stacks/queues and pointers.

Hi,

thanks for you reply! Well im familar with either. But i feel Nodejs (javascript sever side) is simpler so lets me do complex stuff with more control. Node JS has lists, stacks, queues but no pointers. In about a week ive done stuff in Nodejs that seems too complex in VB.net. Dynamic graphs, web scraping etc.

Are you building a web based system or windows application?
Hi,

thanks for you reply! Well im familar with either. But i feel Nodejs (javascript sever side) is simpler so lets me do complex stuff with more control. Node JS has lists, stacks, queues but no pointers. In about a week ive done stuff in Nodejs that seems too complex in VB.net. Dynamic graphs, web scraping etc.

Are you building a web based system or windows application?

I'm doing a Windows application as it fits the requirements of my end user better.
Reply 5
Original post by sarcasmrules
I'm doing a Windows application as it fits the requirements of my end user better.

My teacher is forcing us to do web application :angry:. Effectively we have to learn CSS, Javascript, HTML and VB now..
My teacher is forcing us to do web application :angry:. Effectively we have to learn CSS, Javascript, HTML and VB now..

CSS and HTML aren't programming languages luckily, so you only have to learn JS as well as VB. And JS is known to be one of the easier languages to pick up and learn. You'll be fine :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest