The Student Room Group

UCAS Retake Problem

I did AS Critical Thinking along with my GCSEs in Year 10. I ended up with a B grade. But, in Year 11, I retook one module (out of the two modules) and got an A grade.

Do I put down both the B and the A grades? Or only the A grade? I was told at the time that the A grade superseded the B grade.

The information I found on the UCAS website only relates to future retakes not ones that you've already done. Thanks for the help!
If you have the certificate for it as an A or its been cashed in as an A then put it down as that.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
If you have the certificate for it as an A or its been cashed in as an A then put it down as that.

I have two certificates: one for a 'B' from 2012 and one that's an 'A' grade from 2013.
You've redone it now so your A is essentially your new grade. Like I retook my AS history exams and replaced an E with an A. So my A is now my new grade for history because it's been redone :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by sammidrake
You've redone it now so your A is essentially your new grade. Like I retook my AS history exams and replaced an E with an A. So my A is now my new grade for history because it's been redone :smile:

So, there's no need to put the B grade?
Original post by Quantaˌ
So, there's no need to put the B grade?

No, I don't think so. I'm not putting my first grade anyway :smile:
Reply 6
You need to declare all grades, including the first attempt. If you don't then you application could be cancelled.
Reply 7
Original post by Juno
You need to declare all grades, including the first attempt. If you don't then you application could be cancelled.

Could you provide a source? I couldn't find anything on UCAS's website. And sammidrake is saying the opposite. Also, since one of my units in my final grade was from my first attempt, does this still apply?

No, I don't think so. I'm not putting my first grade anyway :smile:

Did a teacher advise you to do this? As Juno seems to be contradicting you, I'm just trying to work out whose is right. Thanks again for the help!
You MUST put the B grade down and then put the A grade down. Basically enter the subject twice.

E.g pretend you retook Maths. Got a C in 2011, then in 2012 improved it to an A.

GCSE Maths C grade 2011
GCSE Maths A grade 2012
If you retook within 2 years then I think you can get away from resits though.

For example, pretend in Maths there are 3 exams. Unit 1 you sit in Year 10 and the other 2 units in Year 11.

If you did terribly in Unit 1 then you can retake it in Year 11 (so you have completed it within 2 years). You don't have to declare that you resat Unit 1.

BUT, if you resit Unit 2 or 3 then that means you are resitting outside of the 2 years. Which means it took you over 2 years to get your new grade so you must declare both the grades.
Original post by Quantaˌ
Did a teacher advise you to do this? As Juno seems to be contradicting you, I'm just trying to work out whose is right. Thanks again for the help!

I'd go with what everyone else says then - I just assumed that because you've redone the qualification, the new grade takes the place of the old one. So I'm also interested about what the correct thing to do is :P
Original post by Da Di Doo

For example, pretend in Maths there are 3 exams. Unit 1 you sit in Year 10 and the other 2 units in Year 11.

If you did terribly in Unit 1 then you can retake it in Year 11 (so you have completed it within 2 years). You don't have to declare that you resat Unit 1.

BUT, if you resit Unit 2 or 3 then that means you are resitting outside of the 2 years. Which means it took you over 2 years to get your new grade so you must declare both the grades.

Okay, so I did my history AS and got an E grade. I decided to retake both my AS exams during my A2 year and so I then got an A for it from the retakes. Do I have to declare my E grade and my A grade, even though they were done within two years?
Okay, so I did my history AS and got an E grade. I decided to retake both my AS exams during my A2 year and so I then got an A for it from the retakes. Do I have to declare my E grade and my A grade, even though they were done within two years?

If your school cashed in the AS (you got a certificate for it) then you need to declare the E grade.

You may have sat the exams within 2 years but because AS levels are qualifications in their own right, you must declare it.

But well done on improving from an E to an A.

Since you already have the A Level grade (unlike most people who only get predicted grades) and you sat the A Level within 2 years, I doubt universities will hold the E against you.
If your school cashed in the AS (you got a certificate for it) then you need to declare the E grade.

You may have sat the exams within 2 years but because AS levels are qualifications in their own right, you must declare it.

But well done on improving from an E to an A.

Since you already have the A Level grade (unlike most people who only get predicted grades) and you sat the A Level within 2 years, I doubt universities will hold the E against you.

So how would I put that on the application? Would I enter the two different ASs or would I enter the E as an AS and include the A within the A Level qualification?

Thank you :smile:
So how would I put that on the application? Would I enter the two different ASs or would I enter the E as an AS and include the A within the A Level qualification?

Thank you :smile:

Do you know if your school/college will cash in the new AS? If so then you need to enter the AS twice.

If not (like me) then you only enter it once (the E).

You need to include the A with the A Level qualification.

Ask your teacher because I'm only 80% sure that I'm right about this part.
Reply 15

As per the OP, I did AS Critical Thinking in Year 10. I retook one module in Year 11. So, would I need to put both grades?
Original post by Quantaˌ
As per the OP, I did AS Critical Thinking in Year 10. I retook one module in Year 11. So, would I need to put both grades?

If the grade was cashed in (you received a certificate for it) then you must mention it.

Basically try and remember if you have any certificates with Critical Thinking on it with the original grade. If so, then yes mention it.
Do you know if your school/college will cash in the new AS? If so then you need to enter the AS twice.

If not (like me) then you only enter it once (the E).

You need to include the A with the A Level qualification.

Ask your teacher because I'm only 80% sure that I'm right about this part.

I'm pretty sure I'll be getting a certificate for the new one, yeah.

It's difficult for me to ask a teacher because I've left sixth form now but I've left a post on the UCAS Facebook page to check :smile:
Reply 18
Just put both to be on the safe side. It's not like universities care a lot about critical thinking either way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending