Poliics hmw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Watch this thread
fariya16
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
in what circumstances are referendums held in the uk
perflous
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
When they are called by the government for any one of the following reasons:

- when there is a matter of significant constitutional reform (e.g. Scottish independence)
- when outlined as part of the government's manifesto promise
- when agreed upon by the major parties in the House of Commons

etc etc etc

I'm currently doing A2 Government and Politics, and seem to remember doing that question last year. Look at the mark scheme for that question, it should help you out.
Air Conditioner
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by fariya16)
in what circumstances are referendums held in the uk
I'm doing Gov. & Pol. so I'll try and help:

Referendums are used in the UK for the following reasons:

1. The referendum concerns a very important constitutional reform (e.g. independence) and thus, concerning the implications of the referendum, the government decide the question should be put to the people.

2. To prevent government becoming divided. Sometimes governments become divided/split when the various parties can't agree on a certain issue. For example, the Conservaitve-LibDem 2010 Coalition was divided over the issue of AV voting, and whether it should start to be used. To prevent government becoming seriously weakened, the question was put to the people.

3. Convention - a lot of politics in the UK, you'll notice, is bound by convention (more so than in other countries I believe). For example, we have an unwritten constitution and a monarch with prerogative powers. Likewise, referendums are used because they are part of convention - it is considered traditional - even expected, that governments offer the people referendums at some time. And, you'll notice, the number of referendums given to the people in the past, say, 30 years, has increased significantly. Referendums have thus become expected.

4. Referendums are also used to safeguard and entrench key constitutional changes. For example, imagine you have a Labour gov. that institutes a policy and then you have a Conservative gov. that replaces that policy - if that policy had been established via referendum it would have been a lot more difficult to overturn.

Hope this helps! (and you've helped me do my Gov. and Politics revision for the day - thanks!)
fariya16
Rep:
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Air Conditioner)
I'm doing Gov. & Pol. so I'll try and help:

Referendums are used in the UK for the following reasons:

1. The referendum concerns a very important constitutional reform (e.g. independence) and thus, concerning the implications of the referendum, the government decide the question should be put to the people.

2. To prevent government becoming divided. Sometimes governments become divided/split when the various parties can't agree on a certain issue. For example, the Conservaitve-LibDem 2010 Coalition was divided over the issue of AV voting, and whether it should start to be used. To prevent government becoming seriously weakened, the question was put to the people.

3. Convention - a lot of politics in the UK, you'll notice, is bound by convention (more so than in other countries I believe). For example, we have an unwritten constitution and a monarch with prerogative powers. Likewise, referendums are used because they are part of convention - it is considered traditional - even expected, that governments offer the people referendums at some time. And, you'll notice, the number of referendums given to the people in the past, say, 30 years, has increased significantly. Referendums have thus become expected.

4. Referendums are also used to safeguard and entrench key constitutional changes. For example, imagine you have a Labour gov. that institutes a policy and then you have a Conservative gov. that replaces that policy - if that policy had been established via referendum it would have been a lot more difficult to overturn.

Hope this helps! (and you've helped me do my Gov. and Politics revision for the day - thanks!)
thank you so much, this has helped me so much!"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Air Conditioner
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
You're welcome (it helped me too!)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (40)
29.2%
Take a gap year (21)
15.33%
Resit my exams (37)
27.01%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (18)
13.14%
I don't know yet (15)
10.95%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (6)
4.38%

Watched Threads