The Student Room Group

Is a person not driving/being unable to drive a turn-off for you?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Cool As Ice
why are you copying my dyspraxia and anxiety?

And to answer your thread, a lot of people won't care but lots of people would care if a potential partner can't drive.
Myself I've been driving for almost 3 years now and love it !

this is irritating, I was the first person on TSR to be excessively vocal about the Dyspraxia/Anxiety combination, I've been here for 3 years. I'm not proud of that but in no way am I 'copying' you, these are legitimate life problems and I have no interest in trolling about them.

Yeah, there seems to be a balance in responses, albeit some are evident trolls/on the extreme.

Glad to hear man, maybe I'll get on the road one day! :smile:

edit: I am also in receipt of DLA and have been for several years, likely facing PIP next year. My ESA isn't as high as yours, I'm currently in the Rack tier and awaiting assessment by the DWP, preparing for it with my advocate, but I don't judge you for receiving more, perhaps yours is more severe than mine in different ways.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Veracity80
more like

looks = wealth >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> personality

lol

dont even pretend like you care about personality

I'm not pretending. I don't want someone boring and completely different to me.

Looks are very important, atleast to me, because I have to be attracted to him. Wealth is the last thing on my mind because I'm going to be a famous lawyer so I will have all the money in the world.
Original post by Veracity80
wtf..

:lol: That's not even the weird part. We're kind of engaged. :innocent:
Reply 23
Original post by Odd socks
Nah, when I was 17 I thought learning to drive was the most important thing ever and I put so much pressure on myself to pass because where I lived there was no decent public transport. Now I live in a city there's absolutely no need for me to drive, the only thing I have to show for it is a nice pink driving license when I go on nights out.

Short answer: no one cares and if they do they're probably immature or 17. And do you really care what they think?

Posted from TSR Mobile

there wasn't any need to drive while I was at uni, but now I'm back home? Back on the cards :tongue:

and you know why I would care Odd :redface:
Original post by Riku

Would you think less of a guy/girl who, for various reasons, hadn't started driving lessons yet? I see a lot of people seem to think that passing your driving test, along with losing your virginity, is a necessary life milestone for 18-21 year olds to achieve. :curious:

I don't know if I would find it a turn off as my boyfriend drives, what I would find a turn off would be him expecting me to drive him everywhere and not doing something in return like paying or contributing for petrol money.

I don't think it's necessary but a nice rite of passage to do while you're a teen, it's a little more independence! I know people who don't drive but they're happy with it because they can walk or use public transport for everywhere they go.
Original post by Vixen47
:lol: That's not even the weird part. We're kind of engaged. :innocent:

sickening....
Original post by Riku
Of course, I'm not advocating a sense of entitlement or leeching off your partner. Nor am I denying that people enjoy the new sense of independence. I'm simply wondering whether people (in my case, women I'm interested in) are likely to find it a real turn-off that I don't yet possess the skill of driving.

I would find it a turn off if he had no ambition to learn how to drive.
No it's not a turn off,my best friend and the person I want to be with cant drive but that hasn't put me off him
Reply 28
Original post by EloiseStar
I would find it a turn off if he had no ambition to learn how to drive.

so from what I am saying is it that I have no ambition? :s-smilie:
Original post by Riku
so from what I am saying is it that I have no ambition? :s-smilie:

I'm not saying you have no ambition :s-smilie:

I would find it a turn off if for whatever reason it would be beneficial to himself whether financially/personally to drive, and he actively chose not to learn despite it being beneficial then that is what I would find a turn off.
Original post by Da Di Doo
If a man can't drive then he seems less masculine to me for some reason.

So yeah, it is a turn off.

Who needs a car when you have a big

Spoiler

Nah not really a turn off.
I think it kinda depends.
Depends on his reason behind not driving. I mean if he had/has some sort of medical condition which prevented him from driving it wouldn't put me off, or if because he was too busy focusing on his studies to learn. I wouldn't mind but I think there would have to be some sort of ambition to learn to drive in the long run. If I am going to stay with a guy long-term I would prefer him to learn how to drive eventually (obviously, unless medical conditions prevented this) as I just think it would be more convenient , I wouldn't have to be his transport (when I pass that is) and it will improve his job opportunities.
Reply 33
Original post by Maid Marian
Nah not really a turn off.

Are you ninja-posting at the moment, Marian? Your status says Offline, but you've posted several times through the day. It's extra-creepy with the vague white background PP :tongue:
Reply 34
Original post by LouieSax
I think it kinda depends.
Depends on his reason behind not driving. I mean if he had/has some sort of medical condition which prevented him from driving it wouldn't put me off, or if because he was too busy focusing on his studies to learn. I wouldn't mind but I think there would have to be some sort of ambition to learn to drive in the long run. If I am going to stay with a guy long-term I would prefer him to learn how to drive eventually (obviously, unless medical conditions prevented this) as I just think it would be more convenient , I wouldn't have to be his transport (when I pass that is) and it will improve his job opportunities.

I think that's a reasonable preference :smile: I guess I am trying to determine whether I should consider it perfectly justified for a girl to turn me down if she finds out I have yet to get a license/own a car/take lessons/pass my test-or if e.g. I pass my test (based off the fact that this makes me socially inferior, not in their league, etc.)
Original post by Riku
Are you ninja-posting at the moment, Marian? Your status says Offline, but you've posted several times through the day. It's extra-creepy with the vague white background PP :tongue:

Sort of, yeah :tongue: :ninja:
Original post by Laomedeia
Who needs a car when you have a big

Spoiler

Loool! Hahaha, yeah true
Reply 37
Original post by Maid Marian
Sort of, yeah :tongue: :ninja:

Robin and the Merry Men have been teaching you well I see :cool:
no idc
Reply 39
Original post by Cool As Ice
If you don't mind me asking how much DLA do you receive each month and was it awarded fro a fixed period, if so how long or was it awarded to you indefinitely ?

On another note, how does this photo of a dead Lion and it's happy Poacher make you feel?

It's awarded indefinitely until the PiP roll call, I'm in receipt of the lower allowance since I'm high-functioning :smile:

And obviously it makes me feel more depressed, the poor lion and the little **** of a poacher. What did you expect? :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest