Tj789
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Is it to CREATE pressure? or is it to WITHSTAND the pressure?

Is it true that the thicker the walls the more pressure they will create?
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Create pressure is poor terminology. The heart is primarily muscle, intended to contract and push blood around the body. The left side moves blood around a greater distance so needs to be stronger than the other side. The thicker the muscle, generally the stronger. It's definitely not to withstand pressure, although it will be better at that anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
toonervoustotalk
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It has thick walls so that the blood can be pumped to the rest of the body
I am also doing OCR AS biology

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by toonervoustotalk)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Very poor answer. That's the level of explanation you'd expect from a primary school student.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tj789
Rep:
?
(Original post by toonervoustotalk)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know that but is it CREATING pressure so it can be pumped to the rest of the body or is it because the blood is being pumped to the rest of the body at high pressure the walls need to be thick to widstand that
Tj789
Rep:
?
(Original post by james1211)
Create pressure is poor terminology. The heart is primarily muscle, intended to contract and push blood around the body. The left side moves blood around a greater distance so needs to be stronger than the other side. The thicker the muscle, generally the stronger. It's definitely not to withstand pressure, although it will be better at that anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That didnt answer my question it may be poor terminology but realistically is the the thick walls that make the increased pressure, the thicker the walls more it can increase the pressure??
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Tj789)
That didnt answer my question it may be poor terminology but realistically is the the thick walls that make the increased pressure, the thicker the walls more it can increase the pressure??
It did answer it. My last sentence was "it's not to withstand pressure". That would mean I'm saying it's the other answer. It's frankly a bit of a strange question as you could argue it's both. But you certainly can't argue it's to withstand it alone, whereas you could argue it's to create pressure alone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tj789
Rep:
?
It did answer it. My last sentence was "it's not to withstand pressure". That would mean I'm saying it's the other answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not really if you made no reference to it and when there could potentially be other answers. Anways tanx...
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Tj789)
Not really if you made no reference to it and when there could potentially be other answers. Anways tanx...
I guess inferring is beyond your level of intellect then.

Posted from TSR Mobile
kkboyk
Badges: 21
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Tj789)
It's pretty much to create a stronger contraction to raise the pressure further in the left ventricle.
Tj789
Rep:
?
It did answer it. My last sentence was "it's not to withstand pressure". That would mean I'm saying it's the other answer. It's frankly a bit of a strange question as you could argue it's both. But you certainly can't argue it's to withstand it alone, whereas you could argue it's to create pressure alone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You just contradicted yourself because you said "its certainly not to withstand pressure" eliminating the chance of it actually being able to withstand pressure! I think you're very confused child. But its ok dude.
Muppet Science
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Left ventricle is thicker as the systemic circulation is far larger than the pulmonary circulation (the circulation to which blood from the right ventricle is pumped). In order to fully supply the systemic circulation the left ventricle has to generate a large force, ergo pressure.
happysmile
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Heyy anyone else doing Edexcel AS Biology?
Another
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Tj789)
I think What he is trying to say is the left ventricle is thicker because it needs to be stronger. The difference in thickness is due to the extra muscle cells - more muscle cells, more power output. If the reasoning was to withstand pressure primarily, then the extra thickness in the left ventricle would be due to collagen fibres and other tensile proteins - not muscle cells.
KittyRe-play
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The walls are thick and have a greater level of muscle because they have to use more energy to pump the blood to the rest of the body. A higher proportion of muscle means that more ATP will be produced in order to provide energy for the blood to be pumped. So the thick layer of muscle is there to withstand the high pressure and force required to pump blood to the body. Hope I helped, and I'm also doing OCR AS Biology but I'm not on that topic yet haha.
Tj789
Rep:
?
I guess inferring is beyond your level of intellect then.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yep
Asklepios
  • Study Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Tj789)
You just contradicted yourself because you said "its certainly not to withstand pressure" eliminating the chance of it actually being able to withstand pressure! I think you're very confused child. But its ok dude.
It's not to withstand pressure per se. But it's to overcome the greater resistance in the systemic circulation compared to the pulmonary circulation, or greater afterload. Interestingly when you are born, the right ventricle has a greater muscle mass than the left (due to greater load on it in the fetal circulation). But, as there is greater afterload in the left ventricle after you're born, it hypertrophies and the right ventricle actually atrophies.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tj789
Rep:
?
(Original post by Asklepios)
It's not to withstand pressure per se. But it's to overcome the greater resistance in the systemic circulation compared to the pulmonary circulation, or greater afterload. Interestingly when you are born, the right ventricle has a greater muscle mass than the left (due to it needing to greater load in the fetal circulation). But, as there is greater afterload in the left ventricle after you're born, it hypertrophies and the right ventricle actually atrophies.

Posted from TSR Mobile
THIS is what im looking for tanx!! You'd be such a great bio teacher
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (126)
4.93%
Uncertainty around my education (378)
14.78%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (283)
11.06%
Lack of purpose or motivation (359)
14.03%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (119)
4.65%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (155)
6.06%
Loneliness (218)
8.52%
Financial worries (94)
3.67%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (106)
4.14%
Exposure to negative news/social media (120)
4.69%
Lack of real life entertainment (135)
5.28%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (224)
8.76%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (241)
9.42%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed