The Student Room Group

Should I return to college or not?

I was supposed to finish my A level exams last May/June (I have six A Level subjects) and unfortunately due to illness, I had to stop after I had completed the exams of the first two subjects, which means I'll have to finish the other four next May. Therefore, I am now currently on a gap year.

I'll hopefully be studying Medicine next year in October 2015 and the requirements for my uni are AAA in Biology, Chemistry and another subject and passes in the other three subjects (I achieved an A* and an A in the ones I finished last May, which means I'll need a pass in the other one).

I feel like I'm quite comfortable with the material I need to cover for the exams and that with daily revision, I can definitely achieve the grades that I need. But I'm also unsure whether I should return to college for another year (my school has a separate class for students who are on their "third year") to remain "in touch with the subject" and to make sure I'm getting the necessary lab practice for the practical exams.

I'm quite reluctant to go back there as college was definitely far off from the best two years of my life but I feel like it could help me on some level. The only thing I'm scared of is not having enough time to study everything (as last year I used to have 7-8 tests a week as well as a lot of assignments, so much that I almost couldn't cope with the work).

It's my last chance to enrol for college but I'm still unsure whether I should go back (and decrease time dedicated to revision - as I'll be relearning everything from the beginning) or just revise continuously at home and work past papers etc (as I have all the answers) without getting enough lab practice (which is the thing I feel I struggle most in) :confused:
Reply 1
You were doing 6 AS's or A-Levels?
Original post by futbol
You were doing 6 AS's or A-Levels?

I'm not from the UK (I'm from Malta) and our system here combines both AS and A2s into one exam (the A Level exam) at the end of the two years of college. So 6 A Levels :redface:
Reply 3
Original post by TheStoryteller
I'm not from the UK (I'm from Malta) and our system here combines both AS and A2s into one exam (the A Level exam) at the end of the two years of college. So 6 A Levels :redface:

Ah okay. If I knew you were from Malta where the system is different I wouldn't have asked.
Original post by futbol
Ah okay. If I knew you were from Malta where the system is different I wouldn't have asked.

Aha don't worry at all :smile: Our system's only different when it comes to exams; in terms of syllabi, they're exactly the same :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest