"Women should please walk along this side of the road only" Watch

zxh800
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Link to article:

A film-maker has protested against posters in north London that told women which side of the road they should walk on by putting up signs of his own.

Ads by Google

The original posters, written in Yiddish and English, were put up in Stamford Hill by the ultra-Orthodox Jewish community for a Torah parade earlier this month and were removed by the council after complaints.

When Sam Aldersley saw one of the signs, he decided to make his own, reading “women – please feel free to walk wherever you want…it’s 2014," but they have also been taken down.

After putting them up around Stamford Hill when the previous posters had been removed, the 27-year-old filmed the reactions of passers-by.

“I was shocked and disgusted when I saw a poster telling women where to walk in Stamford Hill and had to do something about it,” he wrote in an explanation for the video.

A Haredi Jewish boy is seen pulling up on his bike by one, taking it down and cycling away and a man in traditional dress rips a poster off a tree, not noticing its duplicate on the other side of the trunk.

A Haredi Jewish boy was filmed taking down one of the alternative posters A Haredi Jewish boy was filmed taking down one of the alternative posters A group of ultra-Orthodox women and children walked past another sign apparently without noticing it and several boys stopped to consider one of the posters before walking away.

Chaim Hochhauser, from the local Shomrim group, said the signs were to prevent unrelated men and women from the religious sect from touching during the event and organisers had been told they “lacked explanation”.

He told the Evening Standard Mr Aldersley’s video had “blown up” a small issue even more than the initial publicity.

“Everyone knows this story has blown everything out of proportion,” he said.

“I have spoken to the organisers of the parade - they have apologised [for the signs]. They did not think it would get so public. It was just a misunderstanding.”

Rosemary Sales, a councillor for Stamford Hill West, said she received complaints about the initial posters, adding that it was “unacceptable to try to restrict women's movements in a public place”.

Stamford Hill is home to over 20,000 Haredi Jews, thought to be the largest population in any European city.
Just thought I'd share :rolleyes: At least they said please right?
caravaggio2
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Its funny, but for all the hatred and disrepect between Isam and Jews, they have plenty in common.
simon_g
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I cannot imagine the outrage if it would be done by muslims.
and yeah, as caravaggio2 wrote before: orthodox jews are pretty similar to orthodox muslims. Christians aren't too different either (orthodox ones).
TheBBQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Why can't they just stfu and do it... :facepalm:
felamaslen
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by caravaggio2)
Its funny, but for all the hatred and disrepect between Isam and Jews, they have plenty in common.
The difference is, there isn't a worldwide movement to impose Jewish law on anyone.
simon_g
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by felamaslen)
The difference is, there isn't a worldwide movement to impose Jewish law on anyone.
they are, after all, chosen nation. they have goys to do the dirty jobs. or as I should write: any jobs, as orthodox jews are usually jobless and living of the state (in Israel).
felamaslen
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by simon_g)
they are, after all, chosen nation. they have goys to do the dirty jobs. or as I should write: any jobs, as orthodox jews are usually jobless and living of the state (in Israel).
"Goys" refers to non-Jews, not non-Orthodox Jews. Israel isn't a state run under Jewish law (although I do agree that Orthodox Jews shouldn't get special treatment as they currently do).
spyka
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by felamaslen)
Actually, we've had Jewish courts and law here in the UK for years. Known as the Beth Din.
felamaslen
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by spyka)
Actually, we've had Jewish courts and law here in the UK for years. Known as the Beth Din.
That's not imperialistic. Nobody's trying to convert the world into a Jewish state under the law of Moses.
Skip_Snip
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'd expect this in South-East London, but I thought North London was nice.
Geoffrey.Leonard
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Jews can live segregated go to Jewish schools nobody finds that racist. They have very much shaped society as it is today, but it's always against us and for the benefit of them.Jews keep records of their ancestry and are huge on racial purity. Believe it or not many of these pale Jews are 100% Jewish blood but many assume they're pale from intermixing with Europeans. There have always been light skinned Jews. Genetics are very important to the Jews, but the anti-racist establishment they've set up has a double standards for the white gentiile who are encouraged to intermix and aren't allowed to live in segregation like the Jews.Everything they associate with the Nazi's, is the Jews. But remember these Jews want what is bad for you so they created the likes of Marxism.Does Israel look like a Marxist country? You know Karl Marx was Jewish right? his father was even a Rabbi.
Yeah dude
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Is everything about genders these days??????????

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why do you want to do a masters?

Great for my career (5)
35.71%
I really love the subject (7)
50%
I don't know what else to do (2)
14.29%
I can't get a job (0)
0%
My parents want me to (0)
0%