Edexcel has a weird Further Maths syllabus Watch

StarvingAutist
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
In my relatively short time studying FP2, I've come across some strange oversights. First of all, why do Taylor series come after complex numbers in the book? In the text I have, it doesn't even explain the reason for exponential notation. I would have thought this was extremely important. Furthermore, why on earth are hyperbolic functions in FP3? It makes no sense whatsoever; they'd be much more relevant to FP2. It makes even less sense when taking into account that you don't have to have done FP2 to do FP3... what were Edexcel thinking? :confused:
Slowbro93
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by StarvingAutist)
In my relatively short time studying FP2, I've come across some strange oversights. First of all, why do Taylor series come after complex numbers in the book? In the text I have, it doesn't even explain the reason for exponential notation. I would have thought this was extremely important. Furthermore, why on earth are hyperbolic functions in FP3? It makes no sense whatsoever; they'd be much more relevant to FP2. It makes even less sense when taking into account that you don't have to have done FP2 to do FP3... what were Edexcel thinking? :confused:
It's been a while since I've had a look at the Edexcel for a while, however taylor series is fairly independent to complex numbers. Complex numbers I found was a harder topic to get my head around as opposed to Taylor Series so I sort of saw the logic.
rayquaza17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
TBH I see what you mean about taylor's series and the complex numbers part. I didn't think about it when I did FP2, but at uni we covered taylor's series then used that to explain the exponential notation for complex numbers.
StarvingAutist
Rep:
?
(Original post by Slowbro93)
It's been a while since I've had a look at the Edexcel for a while, however taylor series is fairly independent to complex numbers. Complex numbers I found was a harder topic to get my head around as opposed to Taylor Series so I sort of saw the logic.
Well, using the Taylor series for e^x, sinx and cosx proves that e^ix = cosx + isinx so I would have thought it would make sense to include.

(Original post by rayquaza17)
TBH I see what you mean about taylor's series and the complex numbers part. I didn't think about it when I did FP2, but at uni we covered taylor's series then used that to explain the exponential notation for complex numbers.
My maths teacher saw the importance of the link so he's used that to prove exponential notation. Well, I wasn't in the class but he said that it didn't make sense to do complex numbers first when I asked him why we were doing Taylor series.
I tried to teach myself what I'd missed using the book but found no explanation for exponential notation, which I had to find elsewhere. It seems a pretty weird thing to miss out.
rayquaza17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
My maths teacher saw the importance of the link so he's used that to prove exponential notation. Well, I wasn't in the class but he said that it didn't make sense to do complex numbers first when I asked him why we were doing Taylor series.
I tried to teach myself what I'd missed using the book but found no explanation for exponential notation, which I had to find elsewhere. It seems a pretty weird thing to miss out.
I agree, I think it's pretty fundamental.

What about the series chapter that's only like 1 page long- I think it seems a bit out of place, and would fit in better somewhere else where you learn about series.
furryface12
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
In AQA hyperbolic functions are in FP2, but Taylor series (as far as I can remember) isn't and proof by induction is whereas it's in edexcel FP1. Then again, AQA has four further pure modules whereas I think Edexcel only have three...
StarvingAutist
Rep:
?
(Original post by rayquaza17)
I agree, I think it's pretty fundamental.

What about the series chapter that's only like 1 page long- I think it seems a bit out of place, and would fit in better somewhere else where you learn about series.
Yeah, we haven't done that chapter yet but it looks pretty random. Seems like something that should have been in FP1.
StarvingAutist
Rep:
?
(Original post by furryface12)
In AQA hyperbolic functions are in FP2, but Taylor series (as far as I can remember) isn't and proof by induction is whereas it's in edexcel FP1. Then again, AQA has four further pure modules whereas I think Edexcel only have three...
Weird. I would have thought exam boards grouped fundamentally linked topics together :L
TenOfThem
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
FP2, FP3, and (for AQA) FP4 are stand alone units

They each take a selection of topics that develop the candidates' range of experience - they are primarily designed to ensure that students who study Maths at university have seen material beyond the limited scope of A Level Maths

As a consequence they are not put together as a programme of study in the way that C1-C4 are - they are designed as a set of individual chapters.
furryface12
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Weird. I would have thought exam boards grouped fundamentally linked topics together :L
Yeah, certainly AQA doesn't seem to- FP1 just seems to skate over a whole load of topics and do none of them in detail, FP2 at least picks fewer concepts to do in more detail. I can't speak for the others though as I haven't covered them yet!
tiny hobbit
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well, using the Taylor series for e^x, sinx and cosx proves that e^ix = cosx + isinx so I would have thought it would make sense to include.

Yes I teach a bit of the series chapter first, so that I can explain the exponential version of complex numbers
k4l397
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Couldn't agree more, we're doing complex numbers part of FP1 atm and we're just having to accept the exponential form. They should explain things like that imo. I remember last year in C2 the book defined 0! as 1 BY DEFINITION - apparently it just is that -_-, ik the reason now but I wish text books explained that sort of stuff.
StarvingAutist
Rep:
?
(Original post by tiny hobbit)
Yes I teach a bit of the series chapter first, so that I can explain the exponential version of complex numbers
I'd guess that good teachers will do that, and maybe the exam board assumed it, but it's a bit risky as some students self-study and some teachers aren't good

(Original post by k4l397)
Couldn't agree more, we're doing complex numbers part of FP1 atm and we're just having to accept the exponential form. They should explain things like that imo. I remember last year in C2 the book defined 0! as 1 BY DEFINITION - apparently it just is that -_-, ik the reason now but I wish text books explained that sort of stuff.
It's really frustrating just being expected to memorise things in lieu of understanding them! I found S1 to be the worst module in terms of this. I'm just glad I have good teachers.
k4l397
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'd guess that good teachers will do that, and maybe the exam board assumed it, but it's a bit risky as some students self-study and some teachers aren't good

It's really frustrating just being expected to memorise things in lieu of understanding them! I found S1 to be the worst module in terms of this. I'm just glad I have good teachers.
ik what you mean, S1 was torture for me. My maths teacher had all these 'rules', it's easier to understand what you're doing. Even had a big long formula (in words) for linear interpolation...
nohomo
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
They were probably thinking that students had a life and wouldn't worry about such stuff.
StarvingAutist
Rep:
?
(Original post by nohomo)
They were probably thinking that students had a life and wouldn't worry about such stuff.
Regardless of that, it should have been their responsibility to have that stuff in the syllabus, seeing as the topics were there in the first place.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (161)
17.48%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (81)
8.79%
No I am happy with my course choice (548)
59.5%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (131)
14.22%

Watched Threads