lollipopsftw
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I'm in year 13 and just completed my AS. I want to do Computer Science at university but I'm unsure about which ones to apply to.
I have shown my personal statement to a few people and have said its extremely good. However, my AS grades were:
Maths - B
Econ - C
Physics - D
My predicted grades for both Econ and Physics are B's as, it was just one module (which I will resit) that let my grade down. My maths predicted grade is unsure of, however my school have said that it may remain at B or move up to an A. I've been browsing Uni's and have come across these with the certain requirements:
Exeter - ABB
Queens - BBB
Aston - BBB
City University - BBB
Nottingham - ABB to AAB
York - AAB
Cardiff - ABB
Loughborough - ABB
Newcastle - ABB

Of course there are others eg Warwick, Liverpool etc. however they are either a real longshot or I wouldn't prefer going there.
From this, I need some advice/help as to which ones to choose and the way forward.
I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks
deepakdhillon26
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I chose 2 courses at uni of Nottingham, uni of Birmingham, aston and Newcastle, my predictions ABB and applying for computer science with year in industry or international year!

Posted from TSR Mobile
lollipopsftw
Rep:
?
Ohh damn that's awesome, what's Birmingham like? Isn't it AAB/AAA? And what's your opinion/judgement on what I should do? Thanks and good luck
deepakdhillon26
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yep University of Birmingham is AAA but my school allows us to chose a choice above our Predicted grades, I think you should apply for 3 BBB' courses and 2 ABB! Try get your prediction as ABB as most good uni's have this as their typical offer! What current knowledge do you have of computing as you dont take it for A-Level?

Posted from TSR Mobile
lollipopsftw
Rep:
?
Ahh yeah fair enough that makes sense. Well I don't take computing because my school doesn't offer it haha however I've got my own company whereby I develop software programs, websites, logos and other graphical designs using the knowledge learnt from taking computing. Having a company has also allowed me to consider courses such as "computer science with business management" (queen Marys and also Nottingham).

If my predicted is BBB then I'm thinking:
Exeter
Queens
Aston
Cardiff
City

If its ABB:
Exeter
Nottingham
Queens
York? (AAB what do you think?)
And one other safe one maybe

By the way thanks for all your help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
deepakdhillon26
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Oh cool what company is it? And yeah thats good, Aston have good placements years for computer science! you applying for 2015 right? And York i might look into that! what about Birmingham?

Posted from TSR Mobile
BenH147
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I assume by Queens you mean Queens Belfast? If so, it is a very good uni for Computer Science and includes a year's paid placement, which is incredibly valuable. I'm just starting CS at Queens Belfast and am from NI!

Posted from TSR Mobile
lollipopsftw
Rep:
?
Deepakdhillon26:

Its called paradigm resources, in the process of making a website haha
And yeah 2015. I went to Birmingham uni and didn't really like it and plus its AAA. Seems a bit too much of a long shot. York I called and they even said that usually their candidates get ABB/BBB and still get an offer or even get accepted with their final grades even though their requirements for BSc is AAB. So that sounds more appealing to me!
lollipopsftw
Rep:
?
BenH147:

Noooo by queens I mean queen Marys! Sorry didn't clarify but I haven't looked into Belfast. Primary reason being my parents don't want me to go that far, I'll still have a look thanks!
deepakdhillon26
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Oh cool, Why don't you like Birmingham? I'm going to there Open day soon, I don't take A Level Maths so I can't apply to York unfortunately

Posted from TSR Mobile
deepakdhillon26
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Last year Birmingham accepted people with BBB for there computer science degress so you should definitely consider!

Posted from TSR Mobile
lollipopsftw
Rep:
?
Ahh damn and I don't know tbh I didn't really feel it there and plus AAA is pretty optimistic (especially for me) but yeah I'll look into it. Are your predicted grades confirmed?
deepakdhillon26
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yeah they're definitely confirmed, arent yours yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
deepakdhillon26
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Same here to be honest AAA is too optimistic, i hope to achieve ABB

Posted from TSR Mobile
lollipopsftw
Rep:
?
Well my Econ and Physics have been confirmed. Maths is minimum B but they haven't told us yet because it could go up to an A
deepakdhillon26
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
They should have told you by now ! Lool ABB is good prediction to be honest! You done your personal statement yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
lollipopsftw
Rep:
?
My school is really longing this process out urghhh but yeah I'm pretty much done with my personal statement, you?
deepakdhillon26
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Oh cool and just need to edit mine as well ! Deadline soon approachig haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maths94
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I've known people to get into Newcastle with ABD for CompSci, probably worth applying.
lollipopsftw
Rep:
?
Ahh right haha. Newcastle seems like a good shout. 18th in the country for CompSci, york being 15th and Warwick being 12th. Doesn't seem too bad judging by entry requirements and plus, its a Russell group! Should call them up and find out more tbh
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (269)
56.39%
I don't have everything I need (208)
43.61%

Watched Threads