One college only offers Further Maths?

Watch
elmosandy
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Would this mean If I picked maths I would only be doing Further Maths or Maths a level AND Further Maths..
Krollo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You can only do further maths if you do or have done maths a level, afaik. A lot of sixth forms put them both in one timetable slot (silly if you ask me, but I don't make the rules).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by elmosandy)
Would this mean If I picked maths I would only be doing Further Maths or Maths a level AND Further Maths..
You can't do FM without also doing Maths, so both.
elmosandy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Krollo)
You can only do further maths if you do or have done maths a level, afaik. A lot of sixth forms put them both in one timetable slot (silly if you ask me, but I don't make the rules).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh okay so it would be both at the same time.
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Oh okay so it would be both at the same time.
I can't believe a college does not offer Maths on its own, I suspect you may have misunderstood the prospectus and you can do just Maths if you wish.

If you do choose the FM option, then you will either do the whole Maths A level in Y12 and then FM in Year 13 or AS of both in Y12 and A2 of both in Y13. These days option 2 is more common.
elmosandy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Compost)
I can't believe a college does not offer Maths on its own, I suspect you may have misunderstood the prospectus and you can do just Maths if you wish.

If you do choose the FM option, then you will either do the whole Maths A level in Y12 and then FM in Year 13 or AS of both in Y12 and A2 of both in Y13. These days option 2 is more common.

Oh for one college I'm looking at it just says Maths- FM and then Maths- Statistics.... Not Maths on its own..

Other colleges/Sixth-Forms i'm looking at says Maths, FM and Statistics... so I got confused haha x
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Oh for one college I'm looking at it just says Maths- FM and then Maths- Statistics.... Not Maths on its own..

Other colleges/Sixth-Forms i'm looking at says Maths, FM and Statistics... so I got confused haha x
If you do maths, then you do 4 units of compulsory Core Maths and then another 2 units of applied Maths where you/the school has a choice of what to pick. It sounds as though the Maths they offer is Core Maths 1-4 and then 2 Statistics units (S1 & S2). It still give you a straight maths A level.

(The alternative options are generally Mechanics or Decision maths, or you can do a mix, e.g. S1 and M1). Mechanics is more useful if you are doing to do on to do Physics or Engineering, Stats is more useful for other subjects - Geography, Biology, Economics etc.
elmosandy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Compost)
If you do maths, then you do 4 units of compulsory Core Maths and then another 2 units of applied Maths where you/the school has a choice of what to pick. It sounds as though the Maths they offer is Core Maths 1-4 and then 2 Statistics units (S1 & S2). It still give you a straight maths A level.

(The alternative options are generally Mechanics or Decision maths, or you can do a mix, e.g. S1 and M1). Mechanics is more useful if you are doing to do on to do Physics or Engineering, Stats is more useful for other subjects - Geography, Biology, Economics etc.

Idk other Colleges say Maths, then FM or Statistics.

I don't know this one college just has put on their website FM and Statistics

Not Statistics, FM and just ordinary Maths.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (554)
33.9%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (676)
41.37%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (330)
20.2%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (74)
4.53%

Watched Threads