The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Full time work, full time OU - is it possible?

Hi :smile:

I'll be starting my CertHe (T24) next month, doing the full 120 credits and working part-time. I'm thinking of then completing the additional 240 credits for Q18 BA Health and Social Care, as I'm certain that I want to work in this field.

The problem is that I will be moving out of home next year and will probably have to work full time to support myself and I really don't want to spend another 3-4 years working towards the degree.

Has anyone here successfully managed to balance full-time OU alongside full-time work?

Thanks
Original post by soph1293
Hi :smile:

I'll be starting my CertHe (T24) next month, doing the full 120 credits and working part-time. I'm thinking of then completing the additional 240 credits for Q18 BA Health and Social Care, as I'm certain that I want to work in this field.

The problem is that I will be moving out of home next year and will probably have to work full time to support myself and I really don't want to spend another 3-4 years working towards the degree.

Has anyone here successfully managed to balance full-time OU alongside full-time work?

Thanks

Hi,

I had one year when I worked full time and did 2 x 60 credit courses (both from Feb to Oct and both with an exam at the end). That was pretty hellish, to be honest. It's obviously possible, but it's hard work and you need to be very motivated.

I've also had a couple of years when I've done 3 x 30 credit courses (2 from Sep to June and 1 from Feb to Oct - or vice versa). In each case, of the 2 I've done at the same time one's had an exam and the other's had an EMA (final big piece of coursework) instead. That has been much better.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
There are a few OU students who do this but it will depend on you dedication to studying. It is possible.
I personally wouldn't do it because I think your less likely to get good grades if your too over worked. But it is possble and its up too what you feel you are capable of .
It is possible. Use the Summer to get ahead or it will be very difficult to get top grades.

Quick Reply

Latest