FIFA 15 - First thoughts and a review, of sorts

Watch
boomsmitty
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
As I type I have Futwiz open in a separate tab and EA's "Companion" app open on my phone. I feel like Gary Neville on Monday Night Football with all these screens and it can only mean one thing - FIFA is back for another season.

The annual release is met with both great anticipation and disdain alike amongst gamers in the community. Fans eagerly wait to see what new touches EA will make to their latest instalment, whist everybody else sees it as the same old repackaged cash cow that is released every 12 months. What can't be denied however, is the ever growing popularity of EA's juggernaut year on year.

I queued for 15 minutes on Friday lunchtime (release day) and was surprised by the variety of people there buying FIFA (and trust me, everybody was buying FIFA - I traded in my 2 week old copy of Destiny towards it). For a title that a decade ago was considered geeky, I was surprised by the site of people of all ages and demographics clutching their plastic wrapped copy. There were even a few women partaking in the purchasing! Shock horror!

As soon as I got home I popped the disc into my PS4 and got ready for Messi & Co to blow me away. Five minutes in and I wasn't disappointed.

Jumping into a game the first thing you notice is just how staggeringly gorgeous the game looks. The motion capture is superb with legs and arms flying about in high definition goodness like there's no tomorrow. The players' faces are so accurately captured that at a passing glance you could be mistaken for watching a real game. I would have sworn that I could make out the individual pieces of horse hair that were transplanted onto Rooney's bonce. It's that good.

The usual game features are here; career, seasons, tournaments etc. but it's the big one that we have all come for - Ultimate Team.

FIFA's crowning mode sees you build a dream team and rise up the divisions. You earn coins by winning matches with which to buy players. Alternatively you can purchase "packs".

- WARNING - Player restraint is required as this business gets quite addictive (last season in one month I spent £120 on FIFA points for packs - pathetic I know, but addiction can happen to anyone). Opening these packs in the hope of revealing Messi's grinning face will often see you scrambling down the back of the sofa for loose change in order to get your "fix". The whole attempt is in vain though and your heart sinks as you open your pack and find that instead of the Barcelona centre forward, you have Rickie Lambert staring back at you.

FIFA and Ultimate Team can be frustrating and rewarding in equal measures. EA listened to the fans and have toned down the ridiculously over-powered crosses and headers from last season. This time around a cross must be pin point accurate and so must the header in order to avoid blasting it over the bar. There is still the age old issue with players not responding and just standing still as the ball rolls passed them, but FIFA players are unfortunately used to this by now.

Another issue is EA's creaking servers. I haven't managed to play today as the servers are buckling under the traffic. I understand that it's Sunday on release weekend but this is an unfortunate regular occurrence. There's nothing worse when you have the "itch" to play but can't and have to make do playing the terrible computer opponent whilst it quietens down. Dire.

A few minor problems aside, you still can't beat the feeling of performing a mazy dribble around 2 defenders followed by a 25 yard screamer into the top far corner of the onion bag. EA have that feeling nailed. Scoring a beautifully worked goal will see you running around your front room with your top off, thumping your chest and thanking the fans (which in my case is the plant we have in the corner by the telly).

It's a great game and whilst not as revolutionary as people would like it still has enough new tweaks and polishes to keep you satisfied for another year. I personally think this is fine, it's a football game and there is no need to reinvent the wheel. To drastically change the way FIFA is played would alienate a lot of fans and could provide a resurgence for Konami and PES.

At the moment though, FIFA is King. Long live FIFA.

Pros - Gorgeous graphics. Amazing animation. Great soundtrack. Ultimate Team is better than ever. Crossing and heading has been brought down a peg. Samuel Eto'o has been downgraded. Loads of content to keep you busy.

Cons - £59.99 (PS4) is a lot of money for a video game. Occasional server traffic issues. Team players can turn thick every now and then.

8/10

It's only early doors as the game has only been on sale for a few days but what do you guys think?
QuantumSuicide
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Same old ****. Different year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Luhar
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I am not enjoying it, I said in the PS4 forum that the offline was ok but the online modes just seem completely broken to me. Surprisingly I loved playing FIFA 11-14 but just don't like FIFA 15.

I will trade this in towards PES15 as the gameplay in the demo to me was amazing.
murpo
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Luhar)
I am not enjoying it, I said in the PS4 forum that the offline was ok but the online modes just seem completely broken to me. Surprisingly I loved playing FIFA 11-14 but just don't like FIFA 15.

I will trade this in towards PES15 as the gameplay in the demo to me was amazing.
I have the same opinion really. I have not played the PES15 demo though, is it available in the uk yet (I know you can get it in japan or something)
Luhar
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by murpo)
I have the same opinion really. I have not played the PES15 demo though, is it available in the uk yet (I know you can get it in japan or something)
It's out in the UK now
Somali Kamikaze
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by boomsmitty)
As I type I have Futwiz open in a separate tab and EA's "Companion" app open on my phone. I feel like Gary Neville on Monday Night Football with all these screens and it can only mean one thing - FIFA is back for another season.

The annual release is met with both great anticipation and disdain alike amongst gamers in the community. Fans eagerly wait to see what new touches EA will make to their latest instalment, whist everybody else sees it as the same old repackaged cash cow that is released every 12 months. What can't be denied however, is the ever growing popularity of EA's juggernaut year on year.

I queued for 15 minutes on Friday lunchtime (release day) and was surprised by the variety of people there buying FIFA (and trust me, everybody was buying FIFA - I traded in my 2 week old copy of Destiny towards it). For a title that a decade ago was considered geeky, I was surprised by the site of people of all ages and demographics clutching their plastic wrapped copy. There were even a few women partaking in the purchasing! Shock horror!

As soon as I got home I popped the disc into my PS4 and got ready for Messi & Co to blow me away. Five minutes in and I wasn't disappointed.

Jumping into a game the first thing you notice is just how staggeringly gorgeous the game looks. The motion capture is superb with legs and arms flying about in high definition goodness like there's no tomorrow. The players' faces are so accurately captured that at a passing glance you could be mistaken for watching a real game. I would have sworn that I could make out the individual pieces of horse hair that were transplanted onto Rooney's bonce. It's that good.

The usual game features are here; career, seasons, tournaments etc. but it's the big one that we have all come for - Ultimate Team.

FIFA's crowning mode sees you build a dream team and rise up the divisions. You earn coins by winning matches with which to buy players. Alternatively you can purchase "packs".

- WARNING - Player restraint is required as this business gets quite addictive (last season in one month I spent £120 on FIFA points for packs - pathetic I know, but addiction can happen to anyone). Opening these packs in the hope of revealing Messi's grinning face will often see you scrambling down the back of the sofa for loose change in order to get your "fix". The whole attempt is in vain though and your heart sinks as you open your pack and find that instead of the Barcelona centre forward, you have Rickie Lambert staring back at you.

FIFA and Ultimate Team can be frustrating and rewarding in equal measures. EA listened to the fans and have toned down the ridiculously over-powered crosses and headers from last season. This time around a cross must be pin point accurate and so must the header in order to avoid blasting it over the bar. There is still the age old issue with players not responding and just standing still as the ball rolls passed them, but FIFA players are unfortunately used to this by now.

Another issue is EA's creaking servers. I haven't managed to play today as the servers are buckling under the traffic. I understand that it's Sunday on release weekend but this is an unfortunate regular occurrence. There's nothing worse when you have the "itch" to play but can't and have to make do playing the terrible computer opponent whilst it quietens down. Dire.

A few minor problems aside, you still can't beat the feeling of performing a mazy dribble around 2 defenders followed by a 25 yard screamer into the top far corner of the onion bag. EA have that feeling nailed. Scoring a beautifully worked goal will see you running around your front room with your top off, thumping your chest and thanking the fans (which in my case is the plant we have in the corner by the telly).

It's a great game and whilst not as revolutionary as people would like it still has enough new tweaks and polishes to keep you satisfied for another year. I personally think this is fine, it's a football game and there is no need to reinvent the wheel. To drastically change the way FIFA is played would alienate a lot of fans and could provide a resurgence for Konami and PES.

At the moment though, FIFA is King. Long live FIFA.

Pros - Gorgeous graphics. Amazing animation. Great soundtrack. Ultimate Team is better than ever. Crossing and heading has been brought down a peg. Samuel Eto'o has been downgraded. Loads of content to keep you busy.

Cons - £59.99 (PS4) is a lot of money for a video game. Occasional server traffic issues. Team players can turn thick every now and then.

8/10

It's only early doors as the game has only been on sale for a few days but what do you guys think?
Fifa 15 is a curse on humanity. We waste our money year after year on the same **** with different packaging. EA sports are conning us all. Off with their heads!
Pickles
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Somali Kamikaze)
Fifa 15 is a curse on humanity. We waste our money year after year on the same **** with different packaging. EA sports are conning us all. Off with their heads!
I would have to disagree, I'm afraid...the graphics, the sound quality, the realism of games that EA are creating are beyond good.
sevchenko
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I played the full game on the PS4 and I feel the player models are very whimsical and disproportionate. I think the texturing is poor as well. The player models and textures are better on PES.
mikeyd85
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by sevchenko)
I played the full game on the PS4 and I feel the player models are very whimsical and disproportionate. I think the texturing is poor as well. The player models and textures are better on PES.
:lolwut:

I don't get you.
sevchenko
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by mikeyd85)
:lolwut:

I don't get you.
I mean they're not life like basically
AdamCee
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I love the passing.
Dribbling is good too
Defending is completely underpowered, needs fixing

SHOOTING IS ABSOLUTELY ******* TERRIBLE - I've been scoring 30 yard volleys, then 5 minutes later from 10 yards out it goes miles wide, and I've done this 3 or 4 times already. SO inconsistent.

But... Last year when heading was OP EA patched it within a month. I hope, I pray, they fix the defending and shooting or at very least the shooting and it will be an excellent game
toonervoustotalk
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by AdamCee)
I love the passing.
Dribbling is good too
Defending is completely underpowered, needs fixing

SHOOTING IS ABSOLUTELY ******* TERRIBLE - I've been scoring 30 yard volleys, then 5 minutes later from 10 yards out it goes miles wide, and I've done this 3 or 4 times already. SO inconsistent.

But... Last year when heading was OP EA patched it within a month. I hope, I pray, they fix the defending and shooting or at very least the shooting and it will be an excellent game
Shooting was overpowered last year so I am happy that it is harder to score goals

Posted from TSR Mobile
AdamCee
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by toonervoustotalk)
Shooting was overpowered last year so I am happy that it is harder to score goals

Posted from TSR Mobile
I do agree it was overpowered, but none the less it should be consistent. When you're sending the ball into the stands from 10 yards out, yet volleying in from outside the box, it needs balancing more
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Are there a handling where the lenght of a pass can be played accurately? otherwise the game doesn't interest me.
SirMasterKey
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
£59.99 for a game. Good heavens. I'll pass.
toonervoustotalk
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by SirMasterKey)
£59.99 for a game. Good heavens. I'll pass.
It costs £30 on pc so I can't wait to buy it

Posted from TSR Mobile
ganjasaurus.
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
tooooo similar to the old one but oh well, still had to buy it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (222)
60.99%
No (76)
20.88%
Not sure (66)
18.13%

Watched Threads