Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The last few weeks I've been getting lots of scam bank details emails:

this one was so badly wored though I found it quite amusing. I just can't see how people can fall for it.
    Details Confirmation in 1915

SECURITY ALERT: PIease read this important message

As the Technical service of bank have been currently updating the software, we kindly ask you to follow the reference given below to confirm your data, otherwise your access to the system may be bIocked. He's about where were?

PIease foIIow the link below to fill the form "DetaiIs Confirmation": ???

http://www.*******.co.uk/******
    apart from the edited out URL the email is an exact copy.

I like the use of capital letters to try and avoid the filters as well. I have news for you scammers filters are not case sensitive!

ReputationRep:
    By the way the link takes you to a page that asks you enter in your card details.

ReputationRep:
    i read an atricle about this, apparently banks last year lost around 1 million pounds dut to this type of scam. cant believe people fall for it:mad:

its mainly coming from hackers/scammers in Eastern europe countries, with links to criminal gangs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattG)
    i read an atricle about this, apparently banks last year lost around 1 million pounds dut to this type of scam. cant believe people fall for it:mad:

its mainly coming from hackers/scammers in Eastern europe countries, with links to criminal gangs
    Whilst this is clearly an amateurish attempt, there have been some vastly improved ones doing the rounds recently. The emails are written in decent English, and the sites which you are forwarded too are designed to be visually very similar to some of the big banks.

ReputationRep:
    I consider myself pretty 'internet-wise' so its pretty unlikely i'd fall for one of these, however you have to think about the elder generations or generally the 'internet-dumb' people who have no idea with things like this. They will fall for anything.

Adam

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.