Whats the difference between a transport system and a special exchange surface? Watch

theheart789
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Ok in my book it says large animals need a special exchange surface because they have a small surface area to vol ratio. But then they say they also need transport systems...I dont understand the difference
Eloades11
  • Study Helper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by theheart789)
Ok in my book it says large animals need a special exchange surface because they have a small surface area to vol ratio. But then they say they also need transport systems...I dont understand the difference
Let's go through an example.

In the lungs, you need a special gas exchange system in place in order to get rid of CO2 and take in oxygen. This takes place in the alveoli, and involves the transfer of inhaled oxygen into the blood system, and the transfer of CO2 from the blood into the lungs.

A transport system would be the blood, which takes the inhaled oxygen from the lungs to supply the rest of the body. The same thing goes for all the respiratory CO2 produced in cells around the body which needs to be transported to the lungs to be exhaled.

Hopefully an example will show you the difference.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (33)
11.07%
I used to but I don't now (10)
3.36%
No, but I want to start (111)
37.25%
No, I am unable to (64)
21.48%
No, I chose not to (80)
26.85%