Would you date somebody who you felt was generally more 'intelligent' than you?

Watch
Poll: Out of these options, which do you prefer?
I'd prefer my partner to be *slightly* less intelligent. (14)
13.08%
I'd prefer my partner to be *as* intelligent (51)
47.66%
I'd prefer my parnter to be *more* intelligent (18)
16.82%
No preference (24)
22.43%
Uni Kid
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I've heard a few people say they would find it intimidating. Would it bother you if they were more 'intelligent' (and I use that word loosely) than you? Personally, I find the idea of dating somebody slightly less intelligent than me a turn-off. If they were equally as intelligent, it would be tolerable and if they were more so, then I'd find it sexy and inspirational.
inachigeek21
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I agree ^^
But why would you find it sexy OP?
ByronicHero
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I don't see why not. It would certainly be an interesting change.
+ polarity -
Badges: 21
Report 6 years ago
I have no preference, but apart from that I agree with my Hero :mmm:
a10
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by + polarity -)
I have no preference, but apart from that I agree with my Hero :mmm:
dat gif is killing me :coma:
+ polarity -
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by a10)
dat gif is killing me :coma:
I need to change it, I keep staring at it :pinch:
interstitial
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
yh it would be cool, i like to learn new things ;--)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sazzle4
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Ideally, we'd be equals as I feel that makes for the best balance of conversation and connection. Intelligence is a massive part of what attracts me to a man so I'd rather be with a man more intelligent than me than a man who was less intelligent than I am. I like to be with someone who can challenge me and make me think. I admire intellect, although this doesn't necessarily mean equate to academic allocades. Whether they have been to university or which one, for example, doesn't bother me. It's how they think, whether they can have an intelligent debate or how creative they are that matters to me personally.
tazarooni89
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I wouldn't mind someone who is slightly (but only slightly) less intelligent than me. But in general, the more intelligent she is, the better (as long as she's not really arrogant about it or anything). I like people who I can learn new things from, or who can introduce me to new ways of thinking etc.
nohomo
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'd prefer her to be slightly less intelligent (but have a good personality, good looks and be a lot richer than me).
Anonymous #1
Report 6 years ago
Intelligence is thrilling; I love learning and finding out things I didn't know before, and there was someone to teach me new things AND I was otherwise attracted to them, then, well.
karmacrunch
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yep. I think you'd have to be a little insecure to say you couldn't. The conversations would be interesting and you'd learn from them. I just don't want arrogance. :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anonymous #1
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Intelligence is thrilling; I love learning and finding out things I didn't know before, and there was someone to teach me new things AND I was otherwise attracted to them, then, well.
*if there was
KittyRe-play
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Get married to an intelligent geezer? Meh...why not...interesting competition! :h:
nohomo
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
*if there was
if there were
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
For better or worse I have an ego and like to feel dominant in relationships so preferably the woman would be less intelligent than me (but not a bimbo and she must be opinionated).

Intelligence is not a high priority trait though so that's not to say that I wouldn't be with somebody who was of equal or greater intelligence.
FabioCannavaro
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You should have made the poll options separated by gender. I think intelligence is more attractive in men than women.
Uni Kid
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by FabioCannavaro)
You should have made the poll options separated by gender. I think intelligence is more attractive in men than women.
I was tempted and perhaps I should have - the danger of that is, in my experience of TSR, is there's always more than the odd person that either deliberately or accidently chooses the wrong gender and therefore screws the results. That said, if we get a healthy number of votes, you could always click on every profile and see if they list their gender. If you're quick, it only takes a few minutes.
nicatre
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Within a range, yes.

Part of a successful relationship is intellectual compatibility and that's stretched the further apart you two are in terms of intelligence (all other things remaining equal of course).
LavenderBlueSky88
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
My boyfriend is more intelligent than me in a lot of ways, I'm the one with university qualifications but I'd definitely say he was the same if not more intelligent than me. I'm good at writing essays and making myself sound clever using long words but when it comes to anything remotely mathematical or technological I just flail. Intelligence comes in many forms. I like to date someone I feel is on my level, there's nothing worse than trying to talk about something quite deep or profound and the guy is just like 'Yeah lol'.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (95)
13.87%
I'm not sure (32)
4.67%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (214)
31.24%
I have already dropped out (16)
2.34%
I'm not a current university student (328)
47.88%

Watched Threads