The Student Room Group

Best way to bring up the 'Are you seeing anyone else?/exclusivity' conversation?

Anon in case he's on here...

Ok, I've been dating a guy I actually met on Tinder since the beginning of June. We've only actually been on about 6 dates in that time due to things like being away or holidays etc. but each time we've had a great time. We slept together for the first time on the 5th date.
He texts maybe once a day and sometimes I might not hear from him for a couple of days but his messages are always extremely long and detailed and always have quite a few questions in them.
He's not the most full on person in terms of flirtatiousness or physicality but he does seem to be consistently interested in me...I think.
I like him and I'd like to end up in an exclusive relationship with him but if he isn't looking for that or isn't actually "that into me" then I'd rather know so that I don't invest any more of my time in something going nowhere. So I'm not looking to suddenly get really serious or start hearing bells or anything but I just don't want to end up getting more into him and getting hurt or simply missing out on guys who actually want to be in a relationship with me because I'm seeing someone who doesn't want the same.

So, I was wondering what people thought was the best way to bring up the subject of becoming exclusive? I want to keep the conversation light and casual so he doesn't get the wrong idea and think I'm ready to start throwing the L word around or that I'm going to get needy and clingy. If anything, I'm the type of girl who likes her space and to move slowly.
Suggestions?

TL;DR: Been on about 6 dates with a guy since June. Best way to find out if he's interested in being exclusive without putting him under pressure or coming on too strong?
Reply 1
bump
You say you'd like to 'end up' in an exclusive relationship - do you want to be in one right now? Because if not, I don't really think there's much point in bringing it up.
Reply 3
Original post by joker12345
You say you'd like to 'end up' in an exclusive relationship - do you want to be in one right now? Because if not, I don't really think there's much point in bringing it up.

That's a fair point. I suppose what I mean is that I'd be happy to be exclusive now but if he's not ready then I'd be fine carrying on as we are for a little while as long as there's potential for it to go that way. I'd understand if he's just not looking for that since my last relationship was 9 years and his was 7 (both ended around a year ago so we're both over our exes but it is worth bearing in mind that people's history affects what they want I think) so I can see why he might not want that again right now. Basically, I'd like to be 'official' but if that's not where we're at I just want to know it has that possibility. If he doesn't see any possibility of that then I'd rather walk away and find someone who's looking for the same things I am. If that makse sense?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending