Audiology-Med
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi, Im stuck on question 1biii, on the chemistry A OCR specimen paper, theres a compound and you have to label the parts which is responsible for the EZ isomer but not sure why the other two are optical isomers.

Are optical isomers any organic molecule with a chiral carbon compound attached to 4 different atoms.
-----------------------------------------------------------------CH2
Does this mean for exam would-----------------OHC - C - H
------------------------------------------------------------------Ch2COOCH3

be classed as a
optical isomer or is it only if its attached to 4 different atoms and not groups.
Pigster
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It is not that they must be directly attached to four different atoms, it is that the atoms or groups of atoms must all be different.

Your example would be optically active, even though the chiral carbon is directly attached to three carbon atoms.
Audiology-Med
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Pigster)
It is not that they must be directly attached to four different atoms, it is that the atoms or groups of atoms must all be different.

Your example would be optically active, even though the chiral carbon is directly attached to three carbon atoms.
Thank you thats has cleared up my confusion, I always thought it was the atom it was attached to :P Iv gone over the question and now understand why they got that answer )
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (589)
33.95%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (720)
41.5%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (347)
20%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.55%

Watched Threads